sadmanbarty

for the fucking love of god corpse, you drive me mad. i promise you that you can have loads of monster sex with any girl you like. just be (or at least pretend to be initially) a bit more arrogant. don't throw your contentedness away because you're scared of embarrassing yourself. once you've got affirmation from women, the rest of your neuroses will disappear. salvation awaits

luka

just meet up with me and barty for personalised tuition over a period of 6 weeks payable in installments

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
OF SadMans First Disobedience, and the Luke
With that Forbidden Tree, whose wise counsel
Brought breasts into the World, and all our woah,
With loss of Shame, till one greater SadMan
Restore us, and regain the blissful Seat,
Sing Heavenly Luke

jenks

thread death
bit precious and mannered but still worth a read.

Pretty much sums up the kind of stuff i enjoy!

wrt Paradise Lost - I once won a competition whose prize was £100 worth of vouchers for the Folio Society - i spunked the lot on an edition of PL with copies of Blake's illustrations - large quarto edition. It is a beautiful object with some of the most fearsome poetry written in English.
blake_paradiselost_butts3.jpg

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
re: rings of saturn - sadly I've got to that point which I get to with a lot of books where i start resenting the fact it's taken me so long to read, and this resentment begins to fuel a discontentment with the book itself, so that now i'm finding myself rolling my eyes whenever another densely symbolic dream sequence kicks into gear

the weird thing about reading for me is its a difficult pleasure most of the time, but that i know that it's worth the effort usually.

i've already given up on 'kidnapped!' by robert louis stevenson this week

up to pg 175 in R.O.S. so probably should finish it just to put the matter to bed forever

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
maybe i should give up on novels and stick to poetry from now on - at least you can read poems quickly, then reread them even more quickly

really i only want to cross a few more novels off my list - anna karenina and middlemarch primarily, which unfortunately are both about a gazillion pages long. one thing i like about tolstoy, though, is his short chapters.

long chapters/paragraphs etc can fuck right off, in the words of f.r. leavis

luka

middlemarch is notoriously dull. even people who love novels get broken by that one. stick to poetry. story books are for kids.

droid

A tattered dog eared copy of the Earthsea trilogy, read and reread over a quarter of a century.

Laughter at the puzzlement of a Utopian's first encounter with capitalism in the dispossessed.

Marvelling at the my first exposure to the joys and pitfalls of alternate reality in the lathe of Heaven.

Penny finally dropping on gender via the left hand of darkness.

RIP Ursula.

jenks

thread death
maybe i should give up on novels and stick to poetry from now on - at least you can read poems quickly, then reread them even more quickly

really i only want to cross a few more novels off my list - anna karenina and middlemarch primarily, which unfortunately are both about a gazillion pages long. one thing i like about tolstoy, though, is his short chapters.

long chapters/paragraphs etc can fuck right off, in the words of f.r. leavis

Sebald's Austerlitz is all one long paragraph - no breaks at all - a while back we had a reading group on here and we looked at it - I seem to vaguely recollect lots of decent comments.

Middlemarch is great - Woolf called it a novel for grown ups - i'd put Anna K in that same category.

luka

Sebald's Austerlitz is all one long paragraph - no breaks at all - a while back we had a reading group on here and we looked at it - I seem to vaguely recollect lots of decent comments.

Middlemarch is great - Woolf called it a novel for grown ups - i'd put Anna K in that same category.

DONT LISTEN TO HIM CORSPEY HES /\ BAD INFLUENCE!

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
I will say (taking some poetic license) that every novel I've ever read - including the short ones - has been too long.

is that grammatical??!

luka

novels are always disappointing becasue they are about the gradual narrowing of possibility throughout the course of the book.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
I easily forget novels I've read but the last novel I read which made a real impression on me was A High Wind in Jamaica

Saying that, I've now completely forgotten whatever impression it left on me at the time :crylarf:

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
that's another thing about poetry vs novels - poems are easily remembered, novels all sink into the void

take 'crime and punishment', for example - took me bloody ages to read, can't remember more than a few things about it ('spiders in a bathroom')

all i really got out of it was that i can now tell people i've read crime and punishment, which in a sane world would make me a sex god

i suppose the 'point' of it was the experience of reading it - but then, i didn't take on its moral and religious considerations seriously, i didn't ponder these after reading it

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/the-curse-of-reading-and-forgetting

An interesting article about how most people forget most of what they ever read. I appreciate this as I can't remember much at all about most of the novels I've ever read, only that I've read them.

I read 'Death in Venice' last year while in Rome and then read it again, immediately afterwards. I remember thinking this was the way one should read novels (easier to do in this case as it's pretty short). Of course I never did it again afterwards.