robertantonwilson

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
john eden said:
No, you're absolutely right, I have never read Illuminatus, Cosmic Trigger, Quantum Psychology or various essays and interviews. Nor have I listened to him on tape, or been to see him "live" at Camden Town Hall.

The reason for this, is that I felt my "materialist authority" would be challenged too much.

Oh, hang on a minute, I seem to be made entirely of straw... weird or what? :eek:

Classic Eden
:eek:

aragorn23

Wild Horses
Ah, Bob's okay....I think his greatest import is as a 'gateway' author - I've been inspired to read (or read about) countless other interesting authors because they were referenced in his work, including David Bohm, Bucky Fuller, Korzybski, Leary, blah blah blah!

I can also say, without reservation, that reading books like Prometheus Rising, Coincidance, Quantum Psychology and so on in my youth has had a profoundly positive, lasting effect on my thinking or, as Bob and Leary would say, they cultivated my metaprogramming circuit :p

Of course, I also find the bad poems and rambling cut-up prose portions of his books (especially evident in the Cosmic Trigger series, as well as Walls Came Tumbling Down and Reality Is What You Can Get Away With) rather trying and repetitive, and he does tend to use some of the same bloody examples over and over again!

The maybelogic academy is totally baffling though - people paying good money to chat on a board with various 80's counterculture luminaries....

JSTEVEKANE

gateway

First time I read the illuminatus on the back of the chart hit's of the KLF i found it mildly entertaining ,confusing and a bit irreverent, I forgot all about it until i was going through a period where i was questioning my sanity and realised my life seemed to be imitatating parts of his fiction, it was only the existence of Spiral Tribe (the original Grime Syndicate) and the Last of Psychik Templars that stopped me decending into madness .

In the light of the new Jim Carey film on the horizon, if i bumped into some some young UK G /Grime or Dubstep Head going through the same experience as i did I might recommend Cosmic Trigger , or maybe The Logic Academy as an alternative to some of the aforementioned groups , for where to go next or for some scientific scrutiny on the subject updated for the 00's i wouldn't know where to point them (i'm still search myself) i might have to refer them of someone a lttle more well read than myself , over to you Mr Eden

Last edited: