Obvious i know: Best films of 2005

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
bassnation said:
and obviously watchmen deserves props too for lifting the curtain of a superheroes existance, challenging their divine right to take action in humanities best interests even if it means loss of life on a dramatic scale. even the sub-themes of watchmen are endlessly enterataining in themselves -

This reminded me that I heard they were making a movie out of The Watchmen. A little snooping on imdb brought up some interesting facts: Two fo my favorite directors, Gilliam and Aronofsky, have been on board to direct, but neiter is now; also, I am glad they are no longer going with Robin Williams as Rorschach (another site said John Cusack, and Im not sure this is an improvement).

Interestingly, imdb states that Gilliam finally quit, saying that the material was unsuitable for film, but he would od it as a miniseries. Gilliam is famous for both fantastical productions and fighting with production companies and distributors over content editing. This makes me believe he didnt think it wouldnt fit because of the ability to portray the comic, but because of length and editing.

I think an edited release of this comic would seriously diminish its value and entertainment.

jasonh

I think Watchmen is one of those books that will never get filmed. Part of me thinks that is a shame, but another large part of me thinks that someone will only ruin it anyway!

As for great films from last year - History Of Violence, Batman Begins, Sin City and Team America.