Great 2 Step?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Pretty ignorant of the scene and what was big and what wasn't, but the Steve Gurley mix of Antonio's 'Hyperfunk' is pretty amazing... stupidly sparse, I'd ideally want to hear it between huge girly vocal tunes, but amazing anyway.

Oops, think it was on Locked On. ;)

stelfox

Beast of Burden
michael said:
Pretty ignorant of the scene and what was big and what wasn't, but the Steve Gurley mix of Antonio's 'Hyperfunk' is pretty amazing... stupidly sparse, I'd ideally want to hear it between huge girly vocal tunes, but amazing anyway.

Oops, think it was on Locked On. ;)

my point entirely

echevarian

babylon sister
I also had problems with the Zip

I know uploading a compressed file to an FTP can be a little touchy sometimes.

How about using Rapidshare?

Its free, and pretty fast, and doesn't wear out after 25 downloads.

Just an idea.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I am putting up an uncompressed mp3 about which I will message requesters on this thread when it is there.

If anyone else wants it, PM me.

Windoze is a bitch for zip files. Even files compressed on one's own PC become corrupt half the time. Never have that problem on the Mac.

Woebot

stelfox said:
don't think you should rule out locked on stuff

we're not ruling it out dave, we're just asking people to come up with more obscure stuff. everyone knows the locked on catalogue inside out.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
An apparently functioning uncompressed version of abstract2step is now up. I have PMed requesters, anyone else who wants one, get in touch.

p

ambrose

i second

pick it up
all i do (bump and flex mix)

and david anthony - friday night, is for the the 2 step track par excellence - the archetypoal swingingest, sexiest groove, the slinky bassline, the murderous grimey bass stabns coming in, the vocals: "friday night....just got paid"...the harmony singing...its awesome. cant remember why i picked this up but glad i have it.

as for uptown selling happy hardcore...seems like bassline tunes are coming down south and bolstering sales of 4x4 stuff. lots of richard dolby mentions in the uptown catalogue, etc.

Tim F

I kinda agree with Matt about Locked On as being crit shorthand for a much broader scene, but having said that one of my (countless) aborted pieces for blogging this year was a run-down of all my favourite Locked On releases - string 'em together and it really does make the case for it being the best label ever (yeah, even better than the much hallowed jungle labels!).

Locked On tunes make up over a quarter of my personal UKG top twenty:

Dem 2 - Destiny
Zed Bias - Neighbourhood
David Howard - U & I
James Lavonz - Mash Up Da Venue
London Dodgers - Down Down Biznizz
Doolally - Straight From The Heart (Bump & Flex Hardstep Dub)

Today the other 14 tracks would be:

Amira - My Desire (Dreem Teem Mix)
New Horizons - Find The Path
Kristine Blond - Loveshy (Club Asylum Mix)
DJ Klasse & Richie Boy - Madness On The Street
Sticky ft. Ms Dynamite - Boo!
Cleptomaniacs - All I Do (Bump & Flex Dancefloor Dub)
TJ Cases - One By One
Richie Dan - Call It Fate (Underground Mix)
Sweet Female Attitude - Flowers (Sunship Remix)
Hakan Lidbo - Walk Away (Todd Edwards Walked Away Mix)
Artful Dodger - Woman Trouble (Wideboys Remix)
Valerie M - Tingles 2000 (Artful Dodger Mix)
So Solid Crew - THey Don't Know (Remix)
Matt Darey - Beautiful (Dubaholics Dub Mix)
B15 Project - Girls Like This

(love Steve Gurley and El-B, but neither of them quite make it into my top twenty. I could happily sit here making a "top 200" 2-step list though)

cooper

Tate said:
wouldn't necessarily call it obscure, but def lesser known - last winter i listened to cooper's (a dissensian, no less) 'transatlantic bass' mix nearly every day, almost all north american producers (jason mundo, dj joseph, deep six, g notorious, et al). info here, clips here. though i'd have to say that eric h's hotflush track steals the show

hey thanks!

let me see what i remember loving so:

corrupted crew f. mc neat - "g.a.r.a.g.e"
one of the first mc records to come out that i found compelling, even though it's a little cringey these days as neat spells out the hook and some of the rhymes are a little... lacking. still, it's a nice clippety 2-step rhythm and has that great organ sound that so much of the reggae-flavored 2-step had. while we're on that...

masterstepz f. ritchie dan - "r u ready"
masterstepz made the classic "melody" but i always thought anything he made was pretty excellent, because he had the same stuttery sense of rhythm chris mac did but his stuff went over better on a dancefloor. this one opens with a good 30 seconds of helicopter sound, then breaks into a very dry, minimal beat with some detuned-sounding keys. ritchie dan does a terribly vulgar but nearly indecipherable chat, there's a 3-note xylophone bassline and some sfx and that's it. feels like there's tons of space in this one.

2nd protocol - "basslick"
this was actually a huge tune when it came out, but, wow, it was silly. beats on the intro, piano!! breakdown, big bassline. ez played it all the time and we were all torn on whether it was good or not. if you can abide the breakdown or even enjoy it for its hardcore-esque cheese the bassline is awesome.

mc psg
he just sounded so cheerful! and the man had no shame at all about completely stealing famous rap lyrics.
"i am the psg and i'd like to say hell-o!
to the black, the white, and the brown,
the purple and yell-o-ow"

it's no "gwan then" but it's jolly and it always reminded me of 8th grade school dances where one kid in your class was a "rapper" and would beg for the microphone, bust out about a minute of bad freestyles, and then just give it up and start doing lyrics from rap songs. (psg was better than that, mind you)

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
2stepfan said:
I think there are a number of Dem 2 tracks that piss all over Destiny...

PLEASE tell me more!! I only know of ''Destiny'' and ''Da Grunge'' {US Alliance} and would love to know of other stuff by them.

Tim F

Other Dem 2-related good stuff:

Dem 2 - Baby You're So Sexy/Baby (Dub)
Divine Styler - Directrix (Dem 2 Mix)
Groove Connektion 2 - Club Lonely (Dem 2 Don't Cry Dub)
Basement Jaxx - Jump & Shout (Dem 2 Mix)
Daryl B - Streetlife (Dem 2 High in Napa Mix)
Indo - R U Sleeping (Dem 2 Mix)
Barbara Tucker - Beautiful People (Dem 2 Mix)

... But "Destiny" somewhat boringly remains my favourite of these.

An awesome tune people oddly don't mention much is the New Horizons remix of "Destiny", for which they seemingly recorded their own new vocals. Luvvit luvvit luvvit.

dHarry

2stepfan said:
An apparently functioning uncompressed version of abstract2step is now up. I have PMed requesters, anyone else who wants one, get in touch.

p

couldn't pm you back - full box...

just d/l'ed, Dem 2's syncophunk beatz & champagne bubble ster-e-o fizzle are currently livening up my last day in the office ;) *

if only I had collectable vinyl worth mixing, decks & bandwidth to repay the favour...

many thanks & a merry x-mas to you, 2StepFan

*(I wonder if my in-laws will be as appreciative when I slip it on the hi-fi late x-mas evening - you can see the video - Royle family-esque post-feast stupor, then abstract2step mix comes on, walls push back, glitterball descends from ceiling, santa comes down chimney mixing on a pair of 1210's, gran & parents join in raving with neighbourhood massive... )

owen

dHarry said:
just d/l'ed, Dem 2's syncophunk beatz & champagne bubble ster-e-o fizzle are currently livening up my last day in the office ;) *

if only I had collectable vinyl worth mixing, decks & bandwidth to repay the favour...

many thanks & a merry x-mas to you, 2StepFan

seconded! this is really quite exquisite stuff. i have an inescapable urge for some moet of some sort

Mr H

interesting interview with wookie from the end of last year:

http://www.ukg-interviewed.com/wookie.htm

think its interesting what he says about not really being part of the garage scene as a raver or dj and maybe confirms thoughts I've had previously about the scene being really disparate and a difficult one to map with producers, vocalists, clubbers coming from all over the place i.e. drum n bass, dancehall, r'n'b etc and it being quite hard to locate its centre even though you had the committee with norris da boss and that. definitely a contrast with dubstep and grime and their more tight knit communities anyway...

i've got most of the wookie productions & remixes but haven't heard of the 'Yesterday' track they're talking about. anybody know this more obscure one?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Thanks for all the props for abstract2step.

Now, let's all keep hammering on Matt's door until he does his much promised and even more anticipated 2step mix.

I hope to do another one if I can find records as good as the first one.

The Dem2 track that really, really blows Destiny out of the water is the Big Time Scary Dub mix of Bad Funk.

Last edited:

IKoss

Wild Horses
obv im kinda 'new' here. but i must say. for me, this thread being created places this board at #1 on my list of coolest places!

in fact, i have been overwhelmed by reading previous posts and therefore,
i will have to really muster my contributions to the thread.

i 'had' considered myself 'somewhat' versed re: ukg.
but i have not recognized too many tracks prev mentioned.
so keep this up please, full crew.

big this thread up as well!