Laptop vs. traditional turntable djing.

bassnation

the abyss
going back to the dj license, who will this money go to? will they track down every independent label or tiny little outfit to recompense musicians? if they did that it might be worth supporting but somehow i doubt it will happen.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Rambler said:
Don't know how they can get the DRM thing to work though - dread to think how this might affect small labels and bedroom producers getting their stuff out to laptop DJs.

could lead to the end of the laptop as a dj-ing option, if things like these are widely available and cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINYL-RECORDI...823059682QQcategoryZ27349QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it avoids the issue completely- you play out, hear an mp3 you like, cut a dubplate- add it to your 'live' repetoire etc etc

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
autonomicforthepeople said:
true. though i'm curious becuase the other week i recorded my DMZ 5 12" into the computer and the resulting file sounds noticeably flat compared to the mp3 of the same tune from Bleep. i'm not sure why that would be. would a fancy firewire audio interface be the answer?
I am given to understand that the secret is to get a decent phono amp, cos the ones in mixers tend to be a bit ropey -- even on flash mixers they won't be as good as a 99 quid Graham Slee, which is what I'm considering.

And it's not about whether it's USB2 or firewire, but how good the converters are. If you have a PC you can't go far wrong with the (PCI) E-MU ones, they have the same converters as high end pro-tools rigs.

I could do with a thread that goes into the detail on really good sounding cartridges for 1200s, and optimal turntable settings for archiving...

nomos

Administrator
2stepfan said:
I could do with a thread that goes into the detail on really good sounding cartridges for 1200s, and optimal turntable settings for archiving...
:) Actually, I'd appreciate that quite a bit if you had time as I've just gotten back into DJing and vinyl ripping and I'm not totally sure I've got my weights and measures all sorted.

geto.blast

snap on rims
We ve had a lot of luck/fun with traktor using a DM2 as a controller using this guy's "wrapper" and map for traktor http://www.pdoom.ch/dm2/

Some of the more ambitious dj's in the crew have also been playing set off gdam for freebsd and the "Dyne:bolic" distroes.

But imho pair of cheap decks and a mixer with no eq will do just fine.

Did anyone also mention mp3's sound like shit on a big system?