Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: george galloway on celebrity big brother

Slightly off topic but has anyone else heard that "one of the production staff on celebrity big brother has been disciplined for leaving a gnome floating face down in the pool for barrymore's arrival"?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

his comments about class, along the lines of (snootily) "i'm of a different class than these people" i thought were incxredibly offensive and patronising, and yet BIZARRELY i can't seem to find anyone anywhere picking him up on them.....

"i'm of a different class than these people"

Who said that, Galloway? That sounds not just offensive but also pretty foolish if he ever hopes to get back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabba Flamenco Crossover
    I realised he's just a charlatan self-publicist.
    It's such a shame because his speech infront of that senate inquiry was bloody fantastic. Incisive and insightful and excellently delivered.

His comments were specifically about several members of the household talking about (in his words) "crude and lewd" sexual topics. Unsurprisingly so, he can't be seen to be cavorting with decadent Western whores. Personally I've lost all interest in this since the Richard Dawkins series started, it's ace. "Killing in the name of God isn't just murder...it's absolutely ridiculous"

Quote Originally Posted by Gabba Flamenco Crossover
    I dont have to will myself at all not to watch it, i find it comes very naturally - maybe i'm just a curmudgeon (all posters eventually come to resemble their avatars...).

I was never a massive Galloway fan, but i always supported his anti-war stance on the grounds of my-enemy's-enemy etc. But when he missed the knife edge commons vote on the last terrorism bill due to a 'commercial engagement', I realised he's just a charlatan self-publicist. Imagine how the muslim residents of Bow felt about that? I'd be bloody livid.
    Apparently, his major Muslim supporters in Bow feel somewhat betrayed that the guy they chose to represent them is now hanging around with strippers, transvestites and others of questionable morals...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...976600,00.html

A lot of Muslims find it very unpalatable that their MP would consider doing this sort of show, ...

A local community worker who joined the protest said: I spoke to a number of people at Friday prayers who voted for him who are very disappointed hes gone on TV with a Page 3 model and a Baywatch woman. What sign is that giving to the Muslim community? Children are tuning in. Its not what the Muslim community wants from their MP.

Quote Originally Posted by WOEBOT
    his comments about class, along the lines of (snootily) "i'm of a different class than these people" i thought were incxredibly offensive and patronising, and yet BIZARRELY i can't seem to find anyone anywhere picking him up on them.....
    Think you're misinterpreting him there... he said (something like), 'for someone of my age and class, it is strange to hear sex discussed in such a way'... I took him to mean working class obv... the point being that licentious sex-talk used to be something expected of posh types (though sadly the w/class have now picked up the habit lol)

i agree that woebot's comments were perhaps being taken slightly out of context but it was certainly said with a level of 'these people are below me' snobbery, or at the very least, with regard to a notion of non socio-economic class/sophistication.

regardless, tonight provided some of the most disturbing viewing provided by big brother ever. george pretending to be a cat was too much for me - was he actually licking his housemate's hand? he certainly was purring. this is my mp! i'm not a constituent with issues but those who could do with his help, if they saw that, would be in further despair.

his presence is no longer enough to communicate a political message. he has been gagged and all the press coverage has been damning, this exercise has been even more foolhardy than i had previously (optimistically) anticipated
    Last edited by boomnoise; 12-01-2006 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boomnoise
    ii'm not a constituent with issues but those who could do with his help, if they saw that, would be in further despair.
    why though?

This rhetorical move - it's not me but - strikes me as typical of the denunciations of Galloway for going onto CBB. Would be a bit rich to condemn Galloway for snobbery whilst maintaining a totally snobbish stance about his being in there - an MP! on CBB!

Why aren't constituents 'in despair' when their MPs appear on other media froth like This Week or Have I Got News for You? Why isn't that nihilism-lite politix-is-all-just-public-school-japes thing thought of as unforgivably time-wasting too?

subsequently i wish i had added a little irony to that post. politicians only become more fallable when they lose touch with the people - galloway's intent is to move away from this.

james's post over at deadmenleft sums up my thoughts on this nicely

http://deadmenleft.blogspot.com/2006...crazy-but.html

Quote Originally Posted by k-punk
    Why aren't constituents 'in despair' when their MPs appear on other media froth like This Week or Have I Got News for You? Why isn't that nihilism-lite politix-is-all-just-public-school-japes thing thought of as unforgivably time-wasting too?
    In fact, Diane Abbott has come in for a bit of flak for being on that abomination of a programme where she cuddles up to Michael Portillo on the sofa every week.

However, there is a difference - which is that she is still able to run surgeries in her constituency and go to parliament to vote.

CBB does not allow Galloway to do this (or ANYTHING ELSE apart from CBB), which is a bit of a pisser if you live in TH and have a problems you need to talk to him about, or are opposed to the proposals for cross-rail which are being debated at the moment.

i can almost feel oliver craner resisiting the urge to say "i told you so"

i say keep him in, he'll do less harm that way.

When I first heard that GG was going on CBB, my initial thoughts were that his motivation was probably just to massage his saturn-sized ego (no matter what he says). But whilst I think he's a corrupt narcisist, he can at least make some very valid arguments (his little trip to the states last year was highly entertaining). Sadly though, Endemol have gagged him, so there's absolutely no chance of him getting anything remotely controvertial aired. Furthermore, he knows this. So when he declares that he's going in "for Palestine", I can't help but think: Bullshit.

A friend of mine worked with him years ago when he was running War on Want, and aparently rumours of corruption buzzed around him like flies back them too.

Quote Originally Posted by k-punk
    why though?
    At least those shows do engage with political issues. HIGNFY is probably the highest rated current affairs show on TV excluding news bulletins. BB is a different frothiness of froth altogether.

And while it was nice to see george sockin' it to the yanks, it's not exactly difficult is it? I'd rather have seen Robin Cook or Mike Jackson lay into them than georgous george.