george galloway on celebrity big brother

bassnation

the abyss
k-punk said:
I'll accept that if you can cite one conversation Barrymore had which (a) either didn't concern himself or (b) that he didn't treat as an occasion for one of his cringe-inducing time-for-my-close-up Mr DeMille routines.

narcissm takes forms other than simply talking about oneself all the time. george loves himself, hes less transparent about it than barrymore is - and i don't class that as a positive.

gabriel

The Heatwave
k-punk your stuff about how the 'conservative yoof' won't vote for pete or that chantelle, preston and maggot are symptomatic of a conservative trend completely misses the point. barrymore aside (i didn't see him attacking jodie marsh and have only really begun watching this week so don't know what was going on before), the divide in the house in the last few days basically splits into three people who are not particularly interesting or confident about their intelligence, but fundamentally unmalicious, and three arrogant cunts who are fucking rude, vile, spiteful and vicious. that's why rodman and galloway got voted out, and hoepfully that's by pete the vilest cunt i've ever seen on tv perhaps burns won't win. fortunately, despite my generally pessimistic opinion of the general public, it seems people have hit on the nice idea that being nice to people is a good thing, and being horrible isn't. nothing to do with 'conservativism' - i'd rather live with a right wing tory who was nice to me than a committed anti-war leftist who was as vile and spiteful as galloway as been this week.

martin

----
gabriel said:
despite my generally pessimistic opinion of the general public, it seems people have hit on the nice idea that being nice to people is a good thing, and being horrible isn't. nothing to do with 'conservativism' - i'd rather live with a right wing tory who was nice to me than a committed anti-war leftist who was as vile and spiteful as galloway as been this week.

Yes, the term 'bullying' is being overused, and far too much emphasis being placed on 'niceness'. Give me a straight-talking bastard over a smiling backstabber any day. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for good manners. But I'm sick of this cloying, oppressive 'niceness' being stuffed in our faces all the time, it's a double standard. Check out those ridiculous new Samaritans posters where you're encouraged to call them if your life doesn't resemble a picture of bunnies revolving around a psychedelic kaleidoscope - a feeling I've never had, apart from when watching shockingly bad Punjabi action movies on cider

Last edited:
Hate has always been my favourite emotion...thought George was remarkably calm and self-deprecating upon exiting last night - thought he might come out guns blazing, but no - and rather a night on the town with him, Pete and Rodman than Preston, Chantelle and Traci, the latter of whom are blankly evil in the way that only small children, dogs and cars can be.

It's true about the conservative youth thing - I thought FE would be full of kids wanting to break all the rules, man, but it turns out they're more pro-life than that bloke who owns Domino's Pizzas, more hang 'em and flog 'em than the Daily Mail, and generally more judgemental than God. Completely hypocritically of course, cos none of it applies to them, but the rhetoric is scary. They would love Chantelle and Preston.

D

droid

Would I be right to sum up the two sides of the argument as follows?

1/ Those who view BB as some kind of socio/philospophical barometer or theatrical representation of british society, in which the actions of those involved are relatively unimportant compared to their percieved political status and what they abstractly (but subjectively) 'represent', automatically despise the dull but 'nice' Chantelle/Preston et al as representative of modern 'conservative yoof' (Urgh - But just look at how 'trendy' they are!) and reflexifly defend Galloway/Burns due to their seemingly unquestioned status as 'rebels' and 'cynics'. Therefore Galloway/Best (the axis of evil ;)) cannot be criticised, no matter how bad their behaviour as they have already been pre-judged to be intrinsically superior to their opponents.

2/ Those who view BB vicariously from an emphatic postition and think 'how would I cope in this situation' on a regular basis when watching. I fall into this camp (along with, Id say, the majority of the 'bewildered herd'), and I believe, based purely from watching the show, with no axe to grind or massive predijuce against anyone involved, that Galloway and Best have indulged in a lot of petty and vindictive bullying on a number of occassions, and on a basic human level, think them fairly unpleasant characters... definitely not the kind of people youd like to be locked in a house with, or even associate with for any length of time. (not to say they arent good TV).

Id be appalled if anyone I know mocked an alcoholic because of his addiction, or called someone 'a black bitch and a whore' in front of me - so why should I make an exception for Galloway and Best?

(There is a third side of course - those who simply hate Galloway for his anti-war views and want him to crash and burn. But they can fuck off back to Harry's Place.)

eh? What's to get? Is it really so inconceivable that someone would hypothetically prefer to spend time with Galloway, Burns, Rodman rather than Preston, Chantelle, Barrymore? This is certainly an empathic position, rather than the sort of abstract worshipping-of-the-supposed-cynics thing you have in point 1.

For some totally incomprehensible reason, I kinda prefer hanging around people who know things, argue, have something interesting to say, are cynical, occasionally aggressive, witty, bitchy, etc. And that would include mockery, insults and all that.

Er, as opposed to a moppet who gets tummy ache when she loses her orange lipstick and a bloke who fronts a band that sounds like an indie rip-off of The Specials who covers his eyes in shame when he realises he's sold out his girlfriend on the outside for a willfully idiotic budget Paris Hilton.

john eden

male pale and stale
infinite thought said:
eh? What's to get? Is it really so inconceivable that someone would hypothetically prefer to spend time with Galloway, Burns, Rodman rather than Preston, Chantelle, Barrymore? This is certainly an empathic position, rather than the sort of abstract worshipping-of-the-supposed-cynics thing you have in point 1.

I think the crucial point is some time versus being locked up with for 3 weeks.

Having lived with all sorts of eccentrics over the years I would choose an easy, but dull, home life now I think. Tho of course the ideal is someone who challenges you and is interesting without being a fucking knob.

I still can't see how that would be less unpleasant than having to listen to Chantelle for the same amount of time - I suppose I don't see how her and Preston, etc., are supposed to be 'nice' or easy-going - I'm sure her incomprehensible shrieking and childishness would send me over the edge far more quickly than Burns' scornful eyebrows or whatever.

Agree with Martin - 'niceness' is usually hypocritical bullshit. I don't trust nice people, you never know what they're thinking...

D

droid

infinite thought said:

For some totally incomprehensible reason, I kinda prefer hanging around people who know things, argue, have something interesting to say, are cynical, occasionally aggressive, witty, bitchy, etc. And that would include mockery, insults and all that.

Er, as opposed to a moppet who gets tummy ache when she loses her orange lipstick and a bloke who fronts a band that sounds like an indie rip-off of The Specials who covers his eyes in shame when he realises he's sold out his girlfriend on the outside for a willfully idiotic budget Paris Hilton.

Youve misread me. Im not claiming that people would want to spend time with Chantelle or Preston (I certainly wouldnt), simply that they definitely wouldnt want to spend time with George or Pete.

Its not a popularity contest! :D

droid said:
Youve misread me. Im not claiming that people would want to spend time with Chantelle or Preston (I certainly wouldnt), simply that they definitely wouldnt want to spend time with George or Pete.

Its not a popularity contest! :D

Not everyone in the world is afraid of a little 'bullying', heh. I'd certainly be up for a 15-minute curious glance at Pete's eyes over a jacket potato, or an hour or two of being trapped in a lift with Galloway...I may not speak for everyone here....but, erm, reckon the both of them are a lot more attractive in general than you might think....

martin

----
Expecting Pete Burns to be 'nice' is a bit like hoping Julie Burchill doesn't write something controversial, cliche'd as it may seem at times, they ain't gonna change, it's what they're good at. I personally dislike GG and think Respect are a shower of wankers, but to be honest, I can't be bothered watching any more of it now he's gone. I'm just glad he ripped into the snivelling little mod scrote before he left. And that pro-UK speech was hilarious, funnier than a lifetime of Barrymore performances.

mms

sometimes
i think the calmness and dignity of his exit highlighted at least comparativley just how unbearable the house must have been, almost to a man or woman they were all awful human beings magnified under the glare of the house and the cameras.
I mean just imagine spending any time with Chantelle and Preston at any rate - at least that pete fellow is funny as hell.
Amusing how the sun reimagined his statement about 'having lost his last election' as some kind of plea to stand down, which is just heinous and odd.

gabriel

The Heatwave
mms said:
Amusing how the sun reimagined his statement about 'having lost his last election' as some kind of plea to stand down, which is just heinous and odd.

though not as heinous as galloway's comments that now he's been elected (i've been given my endorsement), given that he isn't going to stand in tower ham.beth green again, he basically doesnt' give a fuck what his electors think of him. very democratic

re: the nice/nasty thing - yeah i don't like preston or chantelle and woulnd't want to spend much time with them either, and yes i like my friends to be interesting and intelligent and challenging and blah blah blah, but for fuck's sake, i never want my friends to be like pete burns or george galloway (rodman i could handle, i've got friends that are like him - and no, i don't mean 'some of my best friends are black' by this comment!). they're fucking unpleasant bitter misogynstic cunts.

bassnation

the abyss
gabriel said:
re: the nice/nasty thing - yeah i don't like preston or chantelle and woulnd't want to spend much time with them either, and yes i like my friends to be interesting and intelligent and challenging and blah blah blah, but for fuck's sake, i never want my friends to be like pete burns or george galloway (rodman i could handle, i've got friends that are like him - and no, i don't mean 'some of my best friends are black' by this comment!). they're fucking unpleasant bitter misogynstic cunts.

i've got a few friends like pete burns - not surgically modified tranvestites but generally cynical and bitchy - it gets a bit wearing after a while but its hilarious in moderate doses.

i think the BB residents are cartoon characters in a way - maybe everyones got a bit of pete burns / rodham / galloway in them in small doses at different times.

D

droid

bassnation said:
maybe everyones got a bit of pete burns / rodham / galloway in them in small doses at different times.

Theres an 'Oh-er matron' comment if ever Ive heard one... ;)

owen

far too much emphasis being placed on 'niceness'. Give me a straight-talking bastard over a smiling backstabber any day. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for good manners. But I'm sick of this cloying, oppressive 'niceness' being stuffed in our faces all the time, it's a double standard.

so, so OTM.
the odd thing I find about big brother is people's tendency to vote for who they might like, or who they (shudder!) 'identify' with, as opposed to what would make good television. think of pete burns' obvious dread when realising he'd have to spend two more days with that shower of nondescript shrills...

thought galloway was oddly dignified on his way out- thought the 'last election' thing was worth commenting on

btw, have people noticed the enormous Sun anti-galloway hoarding on Whitechapel High St? Very unnerving...what puzzles me rather is that Galloway genuinely didn't seem to think about the fact that he'd be edited in the most grotesque light, that any political comment would be edited out, etc etc...