george galloway on celebrity big brother

boomnoise

♫
George Galloway is about to walk into the celebrity big brother house. Will be interesting to see what he makes of the platform, not to mention what he looks like topless in heat magazine.

With David Cameron on Radio 1 earlier today, what is the effect of politicians embracing the media in such a way? will it actually engage the youth?

martin

----
Well, BB's about GG's level . Admittedly, BB's not as irritating or trill as Respect.

What do you think? Are they having an effect on you? I can't say, I still remember a time when rock stars and DJs used to take drugs and have sex and beat up nazis and blow up hotel rooms and crash cars and start riots, while the Young Conservatives thought pop music was for mentally weak degenerates and wouldn't be seen dead out of a suit and tie. And now we have dull, wimp rockers and 'turntablists' who wanna spend their weekends having enemas in detox clinics while Tory MPs go on about 'rap' and walk around in YSL.... sorry, I haven't really helped with your question. I might watch this though as Pete Burns is normally a good laugh.

bassnation

the abyss
martin said:
Well, BB's about GG's level . Admittedly, BB's not as irritating or trill as Respect.

What do you think? Are they having an effect on you? I can't say, I still remember a time when rock stars and DJs used to take drugs and have sex and beat up nazis and blow up hotel rooms and crash cars and start riots, while the Young Conservatives thought pop music was for mentally weak degenerates and wouldn't be seen dead out of a suit and tie. And now we have dull, wimp rockers and 'turntablists' who wanna spend their weekends having enemas in detox clinics while Tory MPs go on about 'rap' and walk around in YSL.... sorry, I haven't really helped with your question. I might watch this though as Pete Burns is normally a good laugh.

its a diverse bunch of people - sparks should fly. i never watch these things normally but just got sucked in tonight (yeah right)

i like pete burns too, admire his individuality and self-respect a great deal.

john eden

male pale and stale
I ws wondering if I'd be really pissed off if my local MP fucked off her constituency work for up to a month to appear on telly. And then I remembered my local MP is Diane Abbott, so I think it would probably make little difference.

Galloway is rarely in Tower Hamlets, it seems, so presumably people there will see more of him now he's on telly every night.

bassnation

the abyss
john eden said:
I ws wondering if I'd be really pissed off if my local MP fucked off her constituency work for up to a month to appear on telly. And then I remembered my local MP is Diane Abbott, so I think it would probably make little difference.

Galloway is rarely in Tower Hamlets, it seems, so presumably people there will see more of him now he's on telly every night.

i'm not a massive fan of galloway but it might be interesting to see whether he uses the time to lambast the government.

john eden

male pale and stale
bassnation said:
i'm not a massive fan of galloway but it might be interesting to see whether he uses the time to lambast the government.

It might be more interesting if he manages to do anything else - he is a bit of a one trick pony! I expect they will edit out all the contentious stuff.

Paul Hotflush

techno head
bassnation said:

Hmm, I would have though he's done it to publicise his views on popular music...

On the other point, Cameron is clearly a very clever man who will in all probability be PM in 4 years time. I don't agree with many of his policies, but you can't deny the man's nous.

bassnation

the abyss
Paul Hotflush said:
Hmm, I would have though he's done it to publicise his views on popular music...

lol, i suppose i was stating the bleeding obvious - but nonetheless sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, mr hotflush! lets face it, hes not short on self-promotion, is he?

Last edited:

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
sucked in

i'll have to will myself to stay away from this tripe. Like the last series, which thankfully i managed to avoid most of, there is this surreal shot of George Galloway working out with Michael Barrymore :confused: The last series had Bez consoling Germaine Greer. Once you 've seen that you've seen it all.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
I dont have to will myself at all not to watch it, i find it comes very naturally - maybe i'm just a curmudgeon (all posters eventually come to resemble their avatars...).

I was never a massive Galloway fan, but i always supported his anti-war stance on the grounds of my-enemy's-enemy etc. But when he missed the knife edge commons vote on the last terrorism bill due to a 'commercial engagement', I realised he's just a charlatan self-publicist. Imagine how the muslim residents of Bow felt about that? I'd be bloody livid.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
john eden said:
It might be more interesting if he manages to do anything else - he is a bit of a one trick pony! I expect they will edit out all the contentious stuff.
There was a bit in one of the Oz seasons of Big Brother where this guy Merlin got voted off and as he came out to do the "how'd you find it?" natter with the host, Gretel, he gaffa-taped his mouth and produced a little cloth sign that said "Free the refugees". He refused to remove the tape or (obviously) talk, and just sat there holding up his sign.

It completely fucken rattled her - she looked livid to me, had to roll with the usual "here's the car you obviously don't care about winning" paid-advertisement quota of the show, without the usual wrap up.

Anyway, the bit that I thought was interesting about it was that Gretel cut to the housemates and was basically saying she couldn't get any mileage from Merlin, and explained what he'd done. Various bods still in the house were like "awesome! that's so him!" and she snapped something about how it was a pretty stupid protest if he didn't even talk about it during the house, because he obviously wasn't interested in dialogue. Everyone in the house sounded baffled - "He talked about it all the time!" - which basically rammed it home for anyone with any doubts that, yes, all the contentious stuff that could be part of "reality" TV definitely gets edited out. That was very quickly the end of that chat with the housemates as well and they had to cut to ad break.

mms

sometimes
a friend of mine used to work for him whilst he was a labour mp and described him as a womanising egomanial sunbed worshipper, that was then he must surley be worse now.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"When he missed the knife edge commons vote on the last terrorism bill due to a 'commercial engagement', I realised he's just a charlatan self-publicist."

Too right, it was a speaking engagement I think, no doubt on the evils of that very terrorism bill. Nothing he has done since has done anything to change my opinion. Of course it was funny when he got stuck in to the Americans but that's all it was really, funny.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Slightly off topic but has anyone else heard that "one of the production staff on celebrity big brother has been disciplined for leaving a gnome floating face down in the pool for barrymore's arrival"?

Woebot

his comments about class, along the lines of (snootily) "i'm of a different class than these people" i thought were incxredibly offensive and patronising, and yet BIZARRELY i can't seem to find anyone anywhere picking him up on them.....

IdleRich

IdleRich
"i'm of a different class than these people"

Who said that, Galloway? That sounds not just offensive but also pretty foolish if he ever hopes to get back in.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Gabba Flamenco Crossover said:
I realised he's just a charlatan self-publicist.

It's such a shame because his speech infront of that senate inquiry was bloody fantastic. Incisive and insightful and excellently delivered.

martin

----
His comments were specifically about several members of the household talking about (in his words) "crude and lewd" sexual topics. Unsurprisingly so, he can't be seen to be cavorting with decadent Western whores. Personally I've lost all interest in this since the Richard Dawkins series started, it's ace. "Killing in the name of God isn't just murder...it's absolutely ridiculous"