DannyL

Wild Horses
saw 12 years a slave at the LFF. not without its flaws - you can see its stretching mcqueen - but it was seriously difficult to keep my eyes dry. it does slavery in a very different way to what weve seen before. chiwetel ejiofor is a really underrated actor. and fassbender is fucking amazing.

Be interested to hear what you feel the flaws were. I was seriously impressed. There's a thread around here somewhere.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Lawrence of Arabia - helluva film. Probably one of the best I've ever seen.

Also was surprised by how much I enjoyed "This Is The End". It's a comedy film starring Seth Rogan, James Franco, Jonah Hill et al. They play themselves. They're at James Franco's mansion having a party and the apocalypse starts. Very silly, very puerile, but I laughed a lot. On a similar tip I also enjoyed ''21 Jump Street'' a lot.

IdleRich

IdleRich
This is the End is brilliant - I watched it twice and still laughed out loud at several points. Jonah Hill was also pretty good in Wolf of Wall Street although I didn't enjoy that quite as much as I was expecting to.

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
I really enjoyed Only Lovers Left Alive.

There's not much too it - it's essentially two very cool people being very cool, with cool music and cool clothes and cool references and yadda yadda, but hell, it's fucking cool.

Another great Jarmusch movie, in other words.

Swinton does make a brilliant vampire..

I also watched La Separation yesterday. Horrible film. Not sure if you're supposed to feel any sympathy for Isabelle Huppert's POV but she's an astonishingly vile creation.

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
Also was surprised by how much I enjoyed "This Is The End". It's a comedy film starring Seth Rogan, James Franco, Jonah Hill et al. They play themselves. They're at James Franco's mansion having a party and the apocalypse starts. Very silly, very puerile, but I laughed a lot. .

yeh, very enjoyable. Especially Michael Cera as a lecherous coke fiend loser... brilliantly played against type

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I am fully backing the Lego Movie, which I saw today. It's not got that emotional punch that the Toy Story films have, for example, but its just riotously funny and inventive.

The trailer for the new Muppets film with Ricky Gervais in it has me eager to see that too so I suppose I'm this threads overgrown child for the day.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Again it's not a total recommendation but if you need a Jodorowsky style fix then I Will Walk Like A Crazy Horse is a kind of methadone to his hard stuff. Loads of extreme and psychedelic imagery with additional Nouvelle Vague flourishes but the narrative and, possibly, the ultimate ideas are just somehow more earthbound than El Topo or The Holy Mountain. Director Arrabal actually wrote the play on which Jodorowsky based Fando y Lis so it's obvious they are singing from the same hymn sheet but I felt I'd seen more of this one before. Perhaps that's just the order in which I saw the films but I think that Jodorowsky does have a spark that Arrabal doesn't quite possess.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Also watched Case For A Rookie Hangman - crazy and surreal Czech adaptation of part 3 of Gulliver's Travels mixed together with Alice in Wonderland and Kafka but set in the modern day (well the seventies I suppose). Some great sequences and political satire etc Good fun.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Watched ''Le Regle de jeu'' last night, its greatness crept up slowly on me and I think I might watch it again tonight to appreciate it properly.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Fruitvale Station. I saw it at the end of last year via a stream, but it's now getting a proper release in London (and across the UK?), and would definitely be worth catching on the big screen. Amazingly good, and emotionally overwhelming.

Timewriter

Rope - Hitchcock (which I'm sure you've all seen but I rewatched it recently after several years - still entertained by the script, of course and J Stewart, always. There can't be many Hollywood films with Nietzsche and the 'divine' right (via intellect) to kill at their core. The famous Third Man speech springs to mind, though.

craner

Beast of Burden
The Ten Best New York Movies

Ghostbusters
Hannah and Her Sisters
The Sweet Smell of Success
Rear Window
The Apartment
Mean Streets
Moonstruck
The French Connection
Saturday Night Fever
The King of New York

Ten Overrated New York Movies

Manhattan
After Hours
Taxi Driver
Wall Street
The Warriors
Do the Right Thing
Ghost Dog
Chelsea Girls
Rosemary's Baby
Liquid Sky

Ten Underrated New York Movies

Prince of the City
Radio Days
Working Girl
Ms. 45
The Goodbye Girl (1977 version)
Big
The New York Ripper
The Last Days of Disco
Cruising
Tootsie

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Ten Overrated Hitchcock Movies

Rope
Vertigo
North by Northwest
Rebecca
To Catch a Thief
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956 version)
The 39 Steps
I Confess
Saboteur
Marnie

Ten Underrated Hitchcock Movies

Notorious
Shadow of a Doubt
Suspicion
Sabotage
The Wrong Man
The Lady Vanishes
Torn Curtain