IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched Picnic At Hanging Rock the other day which I really enjoyed. Kind of reminded me of Hidden in a way - it starts off like a mystery but digresses, changes focus and isn't really the film you might think it's going to be - but far less annoying.

PopMobile

The Fountain

Aronovsky's new film.

It's very ambitious, and may not succeed in everything it sets out to achieve, but it's certainly one of the most interesting sci-fi movies of the last 20 years.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
There's nothing really sci-fi about the Fountain. It's some kind of philosophical thing on death, loss and living in the present. Anyway, while it looked gorgeous (especially if you like murkiness and gold/brown palette) it was just ridiculously sentimental. It was embrassing watching it. I didn't like "requiem for a dream" either and this only made me like it less in retrospect because it highlighted Aronofsky's quirks. Still like "Pi" though.

Octopus?

"Late Spring" by Yasajuro Ozu. Incredibly beautiful, every shot is framed perfectly. The more I see of his work, the more I'm amazed by the man's artistry. "Tokyo Story" also comes highly recommended. I always enjoy writers/directors who work consistently with the same repertoire of actors (Fassbinder as well). The interactions between the characters seem so organic and their comfort with the director and understanding of his vision is clear in every scene. Can't wait to watch "Early Summer"!

tox

Factory Girl
Finally got round to seeing that Art School Confidential by Terry Zwaigoff and Daniel Clowes yesterday.

Not quite up the dizzy heights of Ghost World, which is one of the defining films of my teenage years, so this didn't really stand a chance, but still strong. It's strange, but the over-arching themes and individual moments are so much better than the actual story itself. I suppose perhaps that's not so surprising given Daniel Clowes's background in graphic novels. Worth a little watch for sure though. Has an excellent opening sequence introducing you to the cardboard cut-out Art School characters which is worth the price of rental alone.

tht

akstavrh
the world (jia)
marie antoinette (s coppola)
funeral parade of roses (matsumoto)
swiss army knife with rats and pigeons (breer)
the andromeda strain (wise)
woebot tv episode 3(?) (woebot)

P

Parson

artschool confidential is a really really good movie

everybody i talk to about it dismisses it as a dumb college comedy
i did go to artschool though so that aspect of the movie is awesome BUT
at the heart of it all is a film noir. nobody ever talks about the fact that this film is as noir as brick or any coen bros movie.

people talk about how the main character was a pussy. no shit noir protagonists are typically unimpressive schleps who find themselves in a morally compromised situation.
and of course the femme fatale is responsible for his downfall.

its a really good movie anyway and ppl need to give it credit for being a noir

craner

Beast of Burden
Two in recent weeks. Both just beautiful. They are:

tb-1.jpg

and

The-Conformist-Poster-C10132867.jpeg

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah, I'm going to get onto that quick smart. Got a copy of Fulci's spaghetti western Massacre Time through the letter box this morning. That's next.

krankissey

mr. great
evil alien conquerers - this was surprisingly funny, tho there are plenty of terrible unfunny jokes to go along with the funny.

but thats forgivable, imo.

the prestige - very good. much better than The Illusionist.

Audition - pretty good. great torture scene.

tox

Factory Girl
Hot Fuzz - British comedy in funny and well produced film shock.

Jamon Jamon - Fairly twee love story saved by some outrageous scenes like a fight to the death with giant hams.

Tie Me Up Tie Me Down - Typical Almodovar, but then that's not really a bad thing is it? Actually probably one of his films that I've enjoyed watching more, although that might be to the detriment of depth...

Suspiria - The best of this week's lot for sure. The visuals were magic, with mad contrast, glowing blood and an astounding set. Loved it.

craner

Beast of Burden
Suspiria - I owe that film a whole world of love & gratitude. It's a door into a new universe, my friend...

And may I humbly suggest you watch Profundo Russo and Inferno, as they are, if you can believe this, superior films.

tox

Factory Girl
Suspiria - I owe that film a whole world of love & gratitude. It's a door into a new universe, my friend...

And may I humbly suggest you watch Profundo Russo and Inferno, as they are, if you can believe this, superior films.

High praise indeed - cheers for the recommendations. I'll search them out this weekend n let you know how i find them.

squid ink

I saw Peter Watkins's The War Game recently, and can't recommend it enough. It's probably the most affecting portrayal of nuclear war I've ever seen. I thought Threads couldn't be topped, but this really takes you to hell and back. It was made in the mid-1960s, and is classed as a documentary (it won an Oscar for Best Documentary), although all the footage is fictional. Stunning stuff. Watkins's Punishment Park is also well worth a look--can't wait to explore more of his films.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
hot fuzz was a great disappointment- a dozen good jokes, overly long and mr pegg et al's chance to play with guns over viewer enjoyment.

a shame.