luka

Straight out of Compton
Except Eazy gets AIDS at the end and you leave the cinema on a massive downer

rubberdingyrapids

im a hip hop fan, so i liked it, but it basically seemed to bypass NWAs music once cube left, barely mentioning 100 miles and runnin or efil4zaggin. a real NWA biopic would talk about that - and its not like those parts would be boring, efil4zaggin was controversial at the time. there would be loads of good stuff there to put in an NWA movie, but i suppose they thought that would be too nasty (eg - choruses with things like 'one less bitch i gotta worry about'). better to go with the righteous end of 'fuck the police' instead. the film basically makes nwa look like freedom fighters. they werent public enemy! the fact a lot of it was just corny (evil music execs, blah blah - easier to blame outsiders than look at what was happening in the group itself to cause the split) but i can forgive that if they were a bit more real about the other stuff. its basically a tv movie.

droid

It was the total lack of all the biographical structure that got me. These guys can all rap and got together and suddenly they're hugely famous & successful. No graft, no musical struggle, no learning of the craft, no insight into their personalities bar the most superficial observations, and crucially, almost nothing at all about the music.

droid

So all in all it seemed like a facile vehicle for the usual cliches (evil manager etc.) and an attempt to capitalise on NWA's (admittedly prescient) attitudes towards the Police in a climate of unparalleled exposure of Police brutality. As rubber says it seemed more like a political credibility PR exercise than a biopic.

luka

It's easy to pick holes in the film but you're approaching it in entirely the wrong spirit. It was a dance in the aisles musical.

CrowleyHead

I'd talk about it but whatever, I had fun seeing it with my father and laughing at it. He said its the best representation of what hip-hop was like in a rap biopic movie period and so I'd say that works for me.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Hello chums

Two films I've enjoyed this week

The Guest - weird, implausible, nonsensical, self-consciously parodying the 80s... Despite all this, I really enjoyed this film. Creepy and tense, like a collision of Shadow of a Doubt with the Bourne Identity. It did lose me a bit when the "twist" was revealed but I'd recommend it anyway, particularly for the lead actors psychopathic performance.

Ex Machina - some dreadful dialogue notwithstanding, I thought this was a really interesting and haunting film. Loved Alicia Vikander and Oscar Isaacs performances. Dude from black mirror episode is quite good in it too, and contributes to the feel it has of being an extended episode of Black Mirror.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I enjoyed It Follows a lot too. Dunno how scary it was, perhaps the right amount - I'd probably secretly like it less if it were too scary.

Star Wars - I liked the star-sucking planetary system killer. It hurtles along with a sentimental mindlessness. Gigadeaths all over and the family dynasty against the galaxy vibe is unsettling, elitist in the most exclusive way. Disliked it so much I saw it twice.

I just watched My Dinner with André though, which was like a bright white mind dump of period and cultural information. Being a long conversation over a dinner in New York and offering glimpses of many strange experiences and countercultural mindgames.