luka

neon demon was pretty cool. i didnt understand it but i looked up the meaning on the internet and i liked it much more after that. i wish i had a brain for interpreting films. real blind spot for me

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'd not even heard of 'Queen of Earth' until a couple of days ago, but turns out it's equal parts stunning and harrowing. I haven't been as viscerally affected by a film in a long while (except 99 Homes, which i see i wrote about earlier on this thread). Elizabeth Moss is great as usual. Lots of nods to Persona, Repulsion etc...

I switched off both of Alex Ross Perry's previous films halfway through - The Color Wheel and Listen up Philip - but QoE is something else entirely.

rubberdingyrapids

i hated listen up phillip, or the main character at least, but thought it was brilliant as a study of a poor human being, and i loved/was embarassed by the retro 16mm look of it. not seen QoE yet.

i finally saw yi yi this weekend. it both did and didnt meet my expectations.

you

I think Neon Demon is Refn's best. Vampiric nature of fashion, check. Beauty and death metaphors, check. Heavy allusions to male predators that are ultimately superfluous, check. It also has that Alice in Wonderland shtick like Maps to the Stars and Inland Empire.

Has anyone seen Tickled (2016) - does anyone know where it can be torrented?

rubberdingyrapids

i might like neon demon more if i see it again but when i saw it i just thought it was vacuous as fuck. the last cronenberg one maps to the stars did all that vacuous industry rivalry stuff better. though they would prob make a good double bill. only god forgives is still the all time best refn movie :cool:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's not without flaws but it's an interesting film, full of beautiful shots, and people.

Went and saw 'Wild Strawberries' at the BFI last night with some friends. Was relieved to find that it remains one of my favourite films, since it's been four or five years since I last saw it, and even more relieved that my friends (who'd never seen it) loved it, too.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Blue is the Warmest Colour. One of the best I've seen for ages. Even for those usually suspicious of lengthy French films about the perils of relationships with other human beings. Will definitely work for fans of Lukas Moodysson.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

Blue is the Warmest Colour. One of the best I've seen for ages. Even for those usually suspicious of lengthy French films about the perils of relationships with other human beings. Will definitely work for fans of Lukas Moodysson.

i found it a bit heavy handed, or schematic at times. lacking in subtlety re: some of the plot. wish i could be more specific but i saw it ages ago. but its brilliant for the girl's face. its all about her face in that film.

speaking of french films, at the LFF, i saw nocturama about terrorists in paris. not really about muslim terrorism so ppl might be let down by that, lol, but still quite powerful, if obv referencing some earlier films like elephant. the new xavier dolan film was good too, though the main character was sweet FA to do for most of it. but worth it for vincent cassell, who deserves an award for greatest performance of unrestrained melodramatic explosiveness or something. i love that kind of acting. not over acting. but just a character with a lot of anger, tension, and unable to really ever moderate himself. so good! (any recommendations along those lines would be good).

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I agree about Adele Exarchopoulos' face; her performance is extraordinary. As to being schematic, I can see why you might think that, but it didn't bother me much. It was a pure emotional rush, like an unsurprising yet transcendent hardcore record.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
wow, woman in the dunes (1964) was great
dunes%2B1.jpg

it departs from the book but that is understandable and well done
i watched it at 2AM - perfect time for viewing it

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Dr Strange. Wow. Possibly the best film since the matrix?

I know this is almost certainly sarcastic but did you not like the trippy as fuck visuals? I wish it had just been him tripping out on DMT in 3D IMAX for 2 hours.

Was alright, nothing special IMO

On the subject of the sort of big blockbusters that nae cunt on here will ever mention, I want to see ARRIVAL and FANTASTIC BEASTS and MOANA before the year ends. And fuck y'all if you don't like it.

luka

I know this is almost certainly sarcastic but did you not like the trippy as fuck visuals? I wish it had just been him tripping out on DMT in 3D IMAX for 2 hours.

Was alright, nothing special IMO

On the subject of the sort of big blockbusters that nae cunt on here will ever mention, I want to see ARRIVAL and FANTASTIC BEASTS and MOANA before the year ends. And fuck y'all if you don't like it.

I enjoyed it a lot. Exaggerating when I said it was the best film since the matrix but I'll be recommending it to my friends for sure

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I rewatched The Prestige again the other day. Wt actual f happened in Christopher Nolan's childhood? Such consistent themes in all his films (that I've seen). Amazing film though, even Michael Caine was excellent.