version

Watched All the President's Men earlier. Thought it was great, although the ending was a bit sudden. I'd no idea it was the source of "follow the money". Apparently it was purely an invention of Goldman's too. They never used the phrase in the book or the actual reporting.

catalog

Good film innit. It does that thing where you don't care about the details, but you care cos they do. The macguffin. I was impressed by both Hoffman and redford. I want a light brown corduroy suit like redford.

version

I loved the bits with "Deep Throat" in the underground car park. The blue lighting made it look like something out of Michael Mann.

deepthroat.jpg

catalog

Yeah those bits very eerie, good lighting on deep throat. Good little cameo from ned Beatty as well, that whole sequence anc the way Hoffman sneaks in to see him was very well done

749full-all-the-president%27s-men-screenshot.jpg

The newspaper boss, Ben Bradley is it, was very good as well, when he gets his red pen out for thd article.

Reminded me of z by costa gavras, another excellent political thriller.

version

Network's his finest hour.

I didn't rate Deliverance at all. Thought it was tedious. Jon Voight climbing that cliff for an eternity then climbing back down for an eternity. Burt Reynolds lying on a rock for what felt like hours. Southern Comfort's much better.

catalog

Not seen network and saw Southern Comfort years ago but thought it was really cheesy/hammy in comparison to deliverance, which was really scary when I saw it, prob as a teenager.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Watched All the President's Men earlier. Thought it was great, although the ending was a bit sudden. I'd no idea it was the source of "follow the money". Apparently it was purely an invention of Goldman's too. They never used the phrase in the book or the actual reporting.
I dunno, I read the book but I'm not even sure I've seen the film.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I didn't rate Deliverance at all. Thought it was tedious. Jon Voight climbing that cliff for an eternity then climbing back down for an eternity. Burt Reynolds lying on a rock for what felt like hours. Southern Comfort's much better.
Honestly I can't remember how good Deliverance is as a film in total - but the scenes that kill it - that's the one with the inbred boy doing duelling banjos and the "squeal like a pig" one - are so memorable it almost doesn't matter what happens in the rest of the screen time.

version

Honestly I can't remember how good Deliverance is as a film in total - but the scenes that kill it - that's the one with the inbred boy doing duelling banjos and the "squeal like a pig" one - are so memorable it almost doesn't matter what happens in the rest of the screen time.
It does when you're actually having to sit through it. Those two scenes take up maybe ten minutes of the runtime.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Fair point. I meant in terms of posterity... but that doesn't tie in too well with what I just said about films just being good (or not).

IdleRich

IdleRich
We watched Ghost Stories the British horror from a couple of years back. I enjoyed it, it's a sort of homage to those portmanteau films of the 70s that were normally set in an asylum or something - three separate ghost stories tied loosely together by a framing story involving a Derren Brown type psychic-bunker, which (I don't think will be a massive surprise) kinda ties together with the individual stories at the end and brings the ghosts out of the realm of the stories told to our investigator. Sadly for me the tie-ing went in the wrong direction and was a bit disappointing, and I won't claim that the ghost stories themselves were that amazing - the first one particularly is basically just a classic "stuck in a scary building at night" thing but they are all done well. So overall a homage to some classics (and two scenes in quick succession are nicked from the original versions of Whistle And I'll Come To You and The Woman In Black) with a modern twist that almost works - and the whole thing done pretty successfully and enjoyably I'd say.

version

SORCERER!

Craner's right. Amazing film. That soundtrack! The colours! The shots of the green jungle juxtaposed with the burning red oil wells! The complete lack of sentimentality! The bridge! The four character introductions in their native languages! The ice-cold ending! The trucks covered in symbols! The Frenchman's beautiful wife! The Nazis hiding out in South America! The exploding log!

IdleRich

IdleRich
SORCERER!

Craner's right. Amazing film. That soundtrack! The colours! The shots of the green jungle juxtaposed with the burning red oil wells! The complete lack of sentimentality! The bridge! The four character introductions in their native languages! The ice-cold ending! The trucks covered in symbols! The Frenchman's beautiful wife! The Nazis hiding out in South America! The exploding log!

I've never seen it, seen the one it's a re-make of which is also great.

version

Friedkin says it's just another adaptation of the book and not a remake of the film, but he apparently made a point of getting Clouzot's blessing anyway.

I prefer Sorcerer now I've seen it, but they're both great.