version

One thing I found interesting was the protagonist being a complete psycho and suffering no real consequences for it. He beats up a couple of kids, sleeps with almost every woman he encounters, creeps on women, potentially murders someone and comes out the other side more or less unscathed.

linebaugh

has anyone seen david robert mitchell's other film It Follows? tons of people my age were in love with it but I thought it was just alright.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah It Follows was really popular and made his name... which I think he then pretty much trashed by making this film.
It Follows itself was pretty creepy and had a good idea I suppose but it wasn't quite there was it? It wasn't very scary. But I love the idea of the remorseless relentless thing always hunting you... always.

version

The Songwriter's clearly "The Man", but I like the idea of him also being an actual person who's written and hidden codes inside loads of pop songs. The fact it's clearly a younger actor made up as an old man seems significant too.

linebaugh

it follows gets worse the longer the movie goes on. nice idea, cool atmosphere, shoddy script and execution though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I remember people changed the posters (which are kinda like the Terminator tagline anyway aren't they?) so it ended with the Tory Party

it-follows-poster-art3.jpg

version

The main thrust of UTSL seems to be "Here's all this information. What are you going to do with it? What can you do with it?".

luka

its an increasingly common strategy- throw out the clues and let the internet crowdsource the answers. lost as a precursor? not that i watched it

version

I don't think it's that cynical. I think it's closer to something like Lynch's stuff where there's no definitive answer and the whole point's that it keeps generating thoughts, feelings and meaning.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well I'm watching it again now anyway, but as I remember you do find out what happened to those girls and the rich guy who disappeared and there is a sort of explanation for what is going on, which is more of a bone than Lynch would throw you isn't it?

version

Well I'm watching it again now anyway, but as I remember you do find out what happened to those girls and the rich guy who disappeared and there is a sort of explanation for what is going on, which is more of a bone than Lynch would throw you isn't it?
Yeah, it's definitely less cryptic than Lynch and certain things are tied up, but you're still left trying to make sense of what you've just seen. You never really find out what's going on with the Owl's Kiss, who the dog killer is, whether the cultists are correct in their beliefs, who shot the woman in the lake, who's drawing the hobo symbols, whether the songwriter was real or telling the truth, why the woman they watch via the drone is crying etc.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, it's definitely less cryptic than Lynch and certain things are tied up, but you're still left trying to make sense of what you've just seen. You never really find out what's going on with the Owl's Kiss, who the dog killer is, whether the cultists are correct in their beliefs, who shot the woman in the lake, who's drawing the hobo symbols, whether the songwriter was real or telling the truth, why the woman they watch via the drone is crying etc.
If I remember rightly the basic gist of the story was that there is a cult where they go and live underground to gain eternal life or something and that cult is protected by various forces and you could vaguely assign the owl's kiss and shootings and so on to forces around that. Which is not entirely satisfactory but I think that they're giving you more than Lynch who sometimes just goes all random at the end and implies "well it's kinda up to you really".