Page 189 of 190 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190 LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,835 of 2840

Thread: Films you've seen recently and would unreservedly recommend:

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyHead View Post
    You people are impossible to wind-up in subtle directions.
    Oh right.

free fire is so shit.
    the Q&A with ben wheatley when it ended was better than the whole film.
    sub QT-via-martin mcdonagh shoot em up. cynical dumbed down inanity.
    someone asked him about QT (though not MM who is a better comparison) and of course he looked a bit offended then pretended, and lied, saying that he was more into the people who influenced QT than tarantino himself. ha.

i wasnt THAT impressed with i am not your negro. i like baldwin a lot but the text the film was working from is a bit all over the place, highly personal, and just a bit meandering, as well as a bit too keen on a sort of over-emotional kind of writing. it has a lot of truth though, you just have to wait for it in between the other bits.

get out is brilliant. and actually kind of tiring by the end of it. i want to see it again.
    this also has something to do with my ahem admiration for alison williams.
    (not the tiring bit)

I enjoyed Get Out greatly while watching it, but it didn't stay with me at all.

Problem being that once it became clear that all the white people were evil and all 'in on it', then the film lost a lot of its possibilities. The film's white liberal audience (quite a significant proportion, I'd guess) could then relax, breathe a sigh of relief that it had again been shown that 'racists' can easily be identified as murderous scheming psychopaths, rather than interrogating its own behaviour around race and the complexities of systemic racism/unequal racial privilege as it infiltrates personal relationships (and there were a few brilliant scenes earlier in the movie that sent a genuinely awkward frisson round the cinema I was at - the audience was very mixed). Good film, lost opportunity.

Pity the Baldwin film is flawed by the sound of it. Will still go see it though.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 28-04-2017 at 09:47 PM.

cant disagree with any of that.

but i enjoyed it in the first half as a social study (the dinner table scene was brilliant and highly accurate in terms of how most racism often plays out socially, rather than the usual big dramatic showdowns). then as a tense horror-thriller/bit of genre film-making. would it get the audiences it has done if it wasnt also a fun horror movie? i doubt it.

if hollywood was more interested in non-black minority actors, id like to see a different version of get out, this time with a white dude who has an asian girl fetish. lol. someone needs to make it a franchise.

Definitely true that the denouement was led by the need to attract an audience. One thing they could have done differently, while retaining the crowdpleasing ending, would have been to make the Alison Williams character genuinely conflicted. You would have lost the powerful genre 'lost keys' moment where she metamorphoses before our eyes (trying to think of other classic moments in that vein - Viggo Mortensen's transformation in History of Violence comes to mind), but ultimately have gained something greater.

The dinner party scene was excellent - the brother was truly monstrous, in a believable way. There was also a lakeside scene between Daniel Kaluuya and Alison Williams that was fantastic - at that point it certainly wasn't 100% clear (to me) that she was party to her parents' plans.

http://nextshark.com/get-out-film-as...r-racism-llag/ Tbh I had forgotten about this.

I'm trying to think of any films whatsoever that have explored anti-Asian racism in the US. Man Push Cart comes to mind, but that was an indie film with limited release. I suppose the best mainstreamish example, if we allow TV, might be The Night Of with Riz Ahmed.But racism against characters with Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese heritage...can't come up with any.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 30-04-2017 at 01:35 PM.

yeah, theres man push cart. master of none on netflix. a few things here and there. the 2nd harold and kumar movie might be the greatest asian hollywood movie ever

some of the blame for that rests on the traditional conversation of race in the US (which then affects the conversation in the uk and what we see on our screens, as we just copy what the US does first, so if you have a lot of commissioners who dont know anything about race to begin with but do watch a lot of tv and film and tweeted 'oscarssowhite' a few times to reassure themselves they were on the right side, then thats just what you get) and some of it just rests on what hollywood deems 'sexy'/dramatically in-your-face when it comes to race on screen. i.e white liberals' fear/fascination with black culture/people. but get out is the first horror about microaggressions which allows for a more nuanced depiction of racism, which I think might open it up a bit more beyond the usual Big Racism which we are used to seeing (civil rights struggles, lynchings, slavery etc, etc). but yes, i doubt most people know about things like japanese internment camps, killings of people like vincent chin, decades of US legislation denying chinese men the right to bring their wives or marry white women, etc etc. i also find it baffling how few 'big' movies there are focusing on native americans (NOT dances with wolves, and not dead man either, for that matter). i would recommend the Exiles actually, which *plug plug* i am showing at deptford cinema next month (its on DVD too).

i need to see the last series of girls. i heard riz ahmed was in there (possibly as a boyfriend, though im not sure).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rubberdingyrapids For This Useful Post:

Never watched Harold and Kumar actually. Will rectify that this weekend.

I think you're absolutely right with all that. Issues around racism against Asian people or Asian-American people (and against native American people) are neither as widely known about, nor are they considered in the same way. And yeah, I think that has much to do with the lack of wider knowledge of Asian culture, and especially Asian-American culture (the list of Asian American stars is still really short. Someone like Gregg Araki is a genius, but barely known by name, though some of his films might be).

Films that portray microaggressions, and do it well, is an interesting one. I'm gonna give that some thought, because at the moment my mind is going blank (aside from Get Out, obvs. 'The Comedian' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1656194/ has a few great scenes too, iirc).

Ah, you're involved with Deptford Cinema. I was planning to go along and volunteer there, because I really liked the look of the programming (unlike some of the shite programming at allegedly independent cinemas - another Martin Scorsese season, how interesting etc) and the political edge to it (I think they showed that doc about ACT UP, if I remember correctly? And I see Reds is playing next week - great film). I had to leave south London unfortunately, but I'll def make it along there sometime. Maybe to see The Exiles.

Default Movies 2016

Here is a list of movies I enjoyed in 2016, roughly listed by release date (youngest on top):

Arrival

The Neon Demon

Paterson

High-Rise

Tangerine L.A.

Hail, Caesar!

The Lobster

Trumbo

Black Mass

Anomalisa

The Big Short

The Revenant

I watched Snowtown and Hounds of Love recently. Both exceptional albeit harrowing Aussie slow burners.

Why is Australian cinema so often so bleak and so sadistic? Those two, Jindabyne, Wolf Creek etc etc.

That last scene of Hounds of Love is pretty spectacular, though (plus the nod to Silence of the Lambs)
    Last edited by baboon2004; 17-05-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Why is Australian cinema so often so bleak and so sadistic?
    Have you ever BEEN to Australia?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

I am gonna watch Alien Covenant next tuesday. Despite having very low expactations, I am gonna pull through.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Have you ever BEEN to Australia?
    I set you up there, Droid! Back of the net.

I haven't in fact, but my family from there tell me all I need to know. They're from Perth actually, just like Hounds of Love.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Is Australia a violent country IRL? It seems like it might be a bit like one of the Southern states in the US. A lot of rural backwater towns, poverty, illiteracy, crocodiles and Toady Rebecci smoking fags in the playing field at Erinsborough High.