Page 190 of 190 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190
Results 2,836 to 2,845 of 2845

Thread: Films you've seen recently and would unreservedly recommend:

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Is Australia a violent country IRL? It seems like it might be a bit like one of the Southern states in the US. A lot of rural backwater towns, poverty, illiteracy, crocodiles and Toady Rebecci smoking fags in the playing field at Erinsborough High.
    Apparently the murder rate is a bit lower than in the UK. Interesting that the Hounds of Love director chose the story because it was a way to make an impact on a limited budget and (in the main) a single location - maybe that's a major driver of the trend, talented directors from a relatively small film industry, but one with a good record of crossover to Hollywood, trying to get attention. It does seem that the country has an abnormal number of talented directors (and actors too?), but maybe I just see the good stuff.

Wake in Fright is a good documentary account of Australia, of course.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 19-05-2017 at 11:17 PM.

Never watched Harold and Kumar actually. Will rectify that this weekend.
    Oddly enough we watched that for the first time this weekend too. Or at least it was on in the background as we made ourselves increasingly drunk... It seemed to have a few pretty funny bits but I'm afraid I can't provide much in the way of analysis on how it relates to and reflects anti-Asian prejudice in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Oddly enough we watched that for the first time this weekend too. Or at least it was on in the background as we made ourselves increasingly drunk... It seemed to have a few pretty funny bits but I'm afraid I can't provide .much in the way of analysis on how it relates to and reflects anti-Asian prejudice in the US.
    haha.
    it doesnt really, not explicitly.
    its just a fun stoner movie, starrring two ppl who you would never expect to see leading a funny stoner movie.
    their characters do shift from the first film to the second though, from nerdy asian stereotypes to cooler weed-addled heroes.
    there is also the fact you have kumar being mistaken for a terrorist, and then as the title suggests, escaping from guantanamo, which does put something vaguely political into a teen movie that you might not usually get.
    they are fun genre movies ultimately, but you have to look at them in the context of asian representation in the west to get deeper (if i can say that about movies like this lol) enjoyment beyond that out of them. on a simpler level, it was a mainstream hollywood movie with two asian male heroes, which is not something you get every week (or every year/decade even).
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; 21-05-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Watched "Manchester by the Sea", it was very good but what is always hard about a film that attempts to be very down to earth, true to life, etc. is that melodrama and artifice stick out a mile. So despite all that was good about it I keep thinking about what a misstep it was to use Albinoni in that particularly harrowing sequence. This was also my problem with "I'm Daniel Blake", which (though it might be unrealistic) felt very plausible to me most of the time, which made the implausible bits a sourring experience.

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    I am gonna watch Alien Covenant next tuesday. Despite having very low expactations, I am gonna pull through.
    OK went on with it...

And now I am disappointed that I wasn't disappointed with it (how's that for meta-naging) , actually I quite enjoyed it

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Watched trainspotting 2, despite seeming dated by using the same tricks as the original (and Ally Mcbeal) did, and having a terrible soundtrack, Igloo apart, I liked it. As an affectionate indictment of a generation and as a moving reflection on ageing and time as a one way street, it works.
    I was won over by the scene in the Protestant club. It was such good fun I dropped my defences after that.

Impossible, if you watched the first one when it was released, not to reflect on 20 wasted years, on an individual, a political, a cultural and a societal level. Hard not to feel sad about our pointless wastrel generation sloping towards middle age and death. Twenty years of non-achievement, wasted lives, wasted opportunities, wretched world that only gets worse, studded with small tragedies, acts of negligence, sins of omission, an averting of the eyes, an inability to act, comfort blanket of addiction pulled over the eyes.

An impotent generation suddenly crow footed, lined, creased, potbellied, halfway to death, dreams deferred indefinitely, mired in cynicism, hobbled by romanticism, dancing alone to a record you liked 20 years ago, parents dead perhaps, or unforgiven, the relationship stunted, stuck in amber, shot through with adolescent rage. Unable to go back, unable to go on, with neither the beauty and vigour of youth nor the attainments of age, seeing death in the dark corners, sick with guilt, haunted by the ghosts of our former selves.

And what memories would you hold onto? A few good nights on the lash with the boys? Nights when the drugs really worked and you got a glimpse of something better, but every time you open your eyes you’re right back where you started, just a little older and a little sadder.
    Finally watched T2. It was good, but not as good as this review.

Want to see The Dark Tower and Dunkirk some time soon.

Dunkirk's amazing. Definitely recommend it.

"Never Let Go" 1960

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054115/

That was quite a surprise, I got the DVD of this cheaply a few years ago, never googled any info on it just bought it bc it had Sellers in it and the score was done by John Barry. Oh boy, this was actually a very good movie in the end! totally surprised by Peter Sellers, who plays a vionet criminal car dealer in it.