Page 191 of 192 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192 LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,865 of 2880

Thread: Films you've seen recently and would unreservedly recommend:

civil war was a bit long and boring to me thats all. like avengers 2 but not as good (without the insane special effects) i liked dr strange did you watch that one?

Saw it, didn't like it so much. The 'acid trip' bit was pretty mindblowing on the 3D cinema screen (plus I was stoned, natch). I dunno, I thought a lot of the jokes fell flat, i was quite disappointed.

Their formula is wearing a bit thin at this point, unfortunately, particularly the origin stories. (Dr Strange was essentially Iron Man.)

Saying that, I think the dialogue, performances and action are often so good that the formulaic nature of the 'MCU' can be excused.

new bladerunners alright jared leto is proper shit in it though. embaressing.

actually the more i think about it the more i think its dumb as fuck

no one else watched it then?

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Planning to this week. I really want to like it, but maybe it's best to go with the expectation of just enjoying on a purely visual level - which would be a shame, as the original is so much more than that. But I'll report back with my findings, anyway.

Watched the legendary Zardoz a couple of weeks ago, I should add. Dunno about 'unreservedly recommend' but it's a huge heap of high camp fun and I loved the far-out-maaan '70s SFX, outrageous costumes and flimsy sets. Most of the male characters look like Eric Idle in Life of Brian. Charlotte Rampling effortlessly smoking as Consuella. Sean Connery swaggering like nobody's business. Perhaps a far-seeing prophecy in the Eternals' willing enslavement to an omniscient computer system?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I don't even like the old Bladerunner that much, aside from the visuals. So if the visuals in the new one are good it will be right up there.

zardoz is one of the few films ive watched multiple times. i think its uncriticisable. i like point blank a lot too.

I am gonna watch it on thursday.

though, the movie tickets being so expensive these days, I am usually big with auto sugestion telling me whatever crap I just saw was at least decent.

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    I am usually big with auto sugestion telling me whatever crap I just saw was at least decent.
    Can you not going into the settings and turn it off?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Saw it Saturday. Not huge into the former b/c its before my time and all and I liked it OK. Jared Leto is fucking horrid in it, the characters feel slighter with somehow more definition than ones from the original which isn't important for a movie like this but... Cool tricks. Hans Zimmer's score is vile though and there's this one specific musical cue that's the most tasteless thing I could think of.

I actually realized I've seen more movies in the past 2 months than I've done in the last two years, and anyway here's a few names that I've either rewatched that's been too long or were fresh wonders to fit the thread title concept:

Andromedia (1998)
    Robot Carnival (1987)
    Cat People (1942)
    Cremaster 2 (1999)
    The Hunger (1983)
    Johnny 316/Hollywood Salome (1998)

mad how no one stopped leto like wtf are you doing?

Saw it. Looked amazing, mostly flawless visuals.

All about memory and nostalgia, though, not just thematically or visually, but in the multiple and overlapping and slightly tedious references and reliance on the original.

So it wasn't a remake, a reboot, but it wasn't quite a sequel either. Reminded me a lot of The Force Awakens: got the original tone perfect, but was ultimately hollow. Because the originals started with a story, ideas, and characters. The new films start with history, a template, a feel, a visual language. The whole thing is tied up with recreating that.

Retromania.

Shit story, shit script, hasty ideas, etc. yet in a way this film was redeemed by the overlap of themes of memory and nostalgia explored on top of the metatextaul references to the original film and its reception.

Plus the dystopia future looks far closer to real life now than it did in the 80s.

It looked fantastic, that is to say uncanny, gorgeous, horrific and not so much sci-fi now, closer to reality. 30 years between the original and it's projected future seems less for us, almost quaint. The idea of San Diego being a rubbish dump for a Greater LA and Las Vegas being a radioactive Wasteland seem like silly ideas compared to the visions of mass eco-farming and synthetic girlfriends.

On the whole it was a dead, empty, silly film stuffed with amazing ideas that kept me awake last night.

But it was about the past: a sad elegy for a more healthy world with humans who have real memories of a world with trees and physical relationships and farmers and child birth and Elvis and films like the original 'Blade Runner'
    Last edited by craner; 12-10-2017 at 10:25 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

the metatextaul references to the original film and its reception
    a lot of this about recently. trainspotting. twin peaks. star wars as you say.

the junk planet reminded me of transformers.