Page 192 of 192 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192
Results 2,866 to 2,872 of 2872

Thread: Films you've seen recently and would unreservedly recommend:

Bladerunner was pretty much THE 1980s movie regarding it's aesthetics/music/style. It was far more a 1982 time capsule than a sci fi movie - like many sci fi flicks tell way more bout the time the movie was done than the actual - usually future - setting.

I'll watch the new one on monday now instead.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Reminded me a lot of The Force Awakens: got the original tone perfect, but was ultimately hollow. Because the originals started with a story, ideas, and characters. The new films start with history, a template, a feel, a visual language. The whole thing is tied up with recreating that.
    i remember my heart sinking as i was watching it, realising it was just a tacky redo with ham fisted references to the original. i'd disagree that it managed to capture the tone, as i remember it (i only saw it that one time) it was devoid of any kind of mood or aesthetic or emotion; it was like reading the synopsis of episode 4 on wikipedia.

rogue one was wicked though.

hated BR2049. gosling is barely acting, ford looked bored and like he would rather be anywhere else. amazing sets, music, ambience, and cool retro vehicles and hot hologram women, but just another lazy, safe AF retro nostalgia exercise like the force awakens. it even does that 'get an original character and summon them with CGI' thing as they did with carrie lucas in the last star wars film (also crap btw). if this is what gets critics and audiences excited for being an 'intelligent blockbuster' in 2019, then something is wrong. what a con.

no new ideas, and no new concepts, so fails as sci fi as it has absolutely nothing to say about anything. basically a film to please BR fan boys and cinema snobs who seem to believe 'arthouse blockbusters' are a good thing, rather than a dull way to spend an evening. then again, i never liked the first BR film either, as i felt it was dramatically inert and IIRC reviewers at the time had the same feeling about that film, so i guess this is the perfect sequel. but at least that one was of its time. this one seems like it just wants to pretend it is still 1982. in 2049 are we really to believe that technology has in fact gone BACKWARDS? ridiculous

On the whole it was a dead, empty, silly film stuffed with amazing ideas that kept me awake last night.
    genuine q: what amazing ideas?
    Last edited by rubberdingyrapids; Yesterday at 11:51 AM.

[QUOTE=rubberdingyrapids;340624in 2049 are we really to believe that technology has in fact gone BACKWARDS? ridiculous[/QUOTE]

Well we're at the point here that this movie, this universe (and if we're being cynical, this franchise) has its own history, timeline, progression. You can't ask a world that has its own time to burrow and develop (which it cannot judging from its climate, in the way people say our own world is failing to further develop in the constipation of capitalism) in a way akin to ours when its stagnation had already been defined. Hell, we do not look like Blade Runner in our Dystopia (if you want to argue we're in one) so why should its dystopia reflect our trajectory?

w/r/t Gosling I liked how little he acted; its a big thing to not ham here and the fact is, he's supposed to be someone who's disconnected from his humanity, not allowed to feel, permanently disassociated. His performance is solid imo because he does so very little at first and slowly the ice thaws under the continuous pressure he places on himself and the frustration allows itself to manifest. I'd take it over the say, the ALWAYS READY TO EXPLODE style that's developed in a lot of actors in his age or older in the wake to try and convey drama.

genuine q: what amazing ideas?
    Holographic threesome.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CrowleyHead View Post
    Well we're at the point here that this movie, this universe (and if we're being cynical, this franchise) has its own history, timeline, progression. You can't ask a world that has its own time to burrow and develop (which it cannot judging from its climate, in the way people say our own world is failing to further develop in the constipation of capitalism) in a way akin to ours when its stagnation had already been defined. Hell, we do not look like Blade Runner in our Dystopia (if you want to argue we're in one) so why should its dystopia reflect our trajectory?
    maybe i am not invested enough in the BR 'world'. i get ppl these days are all into 'world building' etc etc (which basically just means 'creating a believable, well ordered, fully formed setting'), but this world is more or less meaningless to anything or anyone outside it. i know some people think this is asking questions about humanity, and what makes us human, but a) its not a new question b) it does not try to answer this in an esp novel fashion c) those who think the film is doing this are likely a little less human than the rest of us.