Page 193 of 196 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,895 of 2927

Thread: Films you've seen recently and would unreservedly recommend:

  1. #2881
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    6,854

    Default

    Dunno if I mentioned it here at the time... did anyone ever watch 'Son of Saul'?



    Im thinking about watching it again.

  2. #2882
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    13,801

    Default

    can someone reccomend me some great films to watch right now on youtube or other streaming sites. i need to watch a film or 2 tonight.
    please hurry its already getting late

  3. #2883
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,444

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:


  5. #2884
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    13,801

  6. #2885
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,612

    Default

    Recently saw The Ballad of Shirley Collins.

    It's a sort of two-threaded thing, with one strand following her and Alan Lomax on their folk song collecting trip around the Deep South 1959 while the second covers her more recent history - losing her voice after being ditched in a particularly traumatic fashion by Ashley Hutchings at the end of the seventies, and then rediscovering it over the last few years literally while the film was being made. And all this is intertwined with a bunch of Sussex psychogeography and folk-weirdness - the Lewes bonfire societies, the Hastings Jack in the Green, brewing, blacksmithing, lots of downland landscape and chalk cliffs...

    Limited release, but quite a lot of screenings around the place:
    http://www.shirleycollinsmovie.com/


  7. #2886

    Default



    For a kid's film, this has an epic kill rate.

    As a child, my three favorite films where this, Ghostbusters and The Twelve Tasks of Asterix.

    Still recommend all of them.

  8. #2887
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    77

    Default

    re-Luka's question (if you havent seen already):

    Come And See (1985)

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/

    The Ascent (1977)

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075404/?ref_=nv_sr_1

    Umberto D (1950), if this doesnt hit you in your archetypal center & foster a love of jack russells, nothing will

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045274/?ref_=nv_sr_1

    Le Cercle Rouge (1970)

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065531/?ref_=nv_sr_1

    The Passenger (1975)

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073580/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_9

    The Conformist (1970)

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065571/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1


    the list is metaphorically endless

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to cwmbran-city For This Useful Post:


  10. #2888
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    667

    Default

    luka have you seen spiderman homecoming yet and what did you think?

  11. #2889
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    13,801

    Default

    not yet mate. you know i do get a kick out of the mega budget superhero films but that one ive not caught up with.

  12. #2890
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    13,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cwmbran-city View Post
    re-Luka's question (if you havent seen already):

    Come And See (1985)

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/

    The Ascent (1977)

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075404/?ref_=nv_sr_1

    Umberto D (1950), if this doesnt hit you in your archetypal center & foster a love of jack russells, nothing will

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045274/?ref_=nv_sr_1

    Le Cercle Rouge (1970)

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065531/?ref_=nv_sr_1

    The Passenger (1975)

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073580/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_9

    The Conformist (1970)

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065571/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1


    the list is metaphorically endless
    ive seen a few of these but are you saying theyre all free?

  13. #2891
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    77

    Default

    aye via various salubrious internet sources they still should be, i dont know specific site rules in this regard but https://unblocked.vc/ keep the proxies rolling

    i'd never have discovered The Ascent without pirating FreakyFlicks forum for rare gems (he says justifying the practice), a few others i've bought to keep ie everything by Jodorowsky but didnt itemize to spare a yuge unwieldy list developing

    could've added everything by Tarkovsky & Kurosawa, Juliet of the Spirits (the last 15mins are my favourite sequences in film), Parajanov's Shadow of Forgotten Ancestors, Antonioni's Red Desert, anything by Nic Roeg, peak-era Kusturica (Time of the Gypsies & Underground are all time favourites), The Devils by Ken Russell, The American Friend by Wenders, Death in Venice, The Innocents, Night of the Hunter, The Shout (with Alan Bates), Ichi the Killer (wtf), Dog Days (Hundstage) & Import/Export both by Ulrich Seidl, Vanishing Point, Possession (!!!), Wise Blood & Under the Volcano for lesser acknowledged John Huston filems, Martha Marcy May Marlene, everything by Lynch, lots missing & theres still half of a few hard drive's worth of obscurities i've been meaning to watch for the best part of a decade, its hard to shut up when the fountain-head gushes forth

    Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Dunno if I mentioned it here at the time... did anyone ever watch 'Son of Saul'?



    Im thinking about watching it again.
    this was outstanding, redefines a harrowing watch, the narrow apsect-ratio thingy worked really well (Meeks Cutoff did a similar style even if the theme was altogether different) & the way certain camp aspects were suggested or implied instead of going full monstrosity-fest, one of my favourites from 2016 alongside Embrace of the Serpent <---mind-blown
    Last edited by cwmbran-city; 28-01-2018 at 06:15 PM.

  14. #2892
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Fear - Dublin
    Posts
    6,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cwmbran-city View Post
    aye via various salubrious internet sources they still should be, i dont know specific site rules in this regard but https://unblocked.vc/ keep the proxies rolling

    i'd never have discovered The Ascent without pirating FreakyFlicks forum for rare gems (he says justifying the practice), a few others i've bought to keep ie everything by Jodorowsky but didnt itemize to spare a yuge unwieldy list developing

    could've added everything by Tarkovsky & Kurosawa, Juliet of the Spirits (the last 15mins are my favourite sequences in film), Parajanov's Shadow of Forgotten Ancestors, Antonioni's Red Desert, anything by Nic Roeg, peak-era Kusturica (Time of the Gypsies & Underground are all time favourites), The Devils by Ken Russell, The American Friend by Wenders, Death in Venice, The Innocents, Night of the Hunter, The Shout (with Alan Bates), Ichi the Killer (wtf), Dog Days (Hundstage) & Import/Export both by Ulrich Seidl, Vanishing Point, Possession (!!!), Wise Blood & Under the Volcano for lesser acknowledged John Huston filems, Martha Marcy May Marlene, everything by Lynch, lots missing & theres still half of a few hard drive's worth of obscurities i've been meaning to watch for the best part of a decade, its hard to shut up when the fountain-head gushes forth
    Nice list there. Ive watched a lot of those over the last few years, revisiting a few. Found good downloads of the devils, possession, the shout & Roeg's Bad timing.

    this was outstanding, redefines a harrowing watch, the narrow apsect-ratio thingy worked really well (Meeks Cutoff did a similar style even if the theme was altogether different) & the way certain camp aspects were suggested or implied instead of going full monstrosity-fest, one of my favourites from 2016 alongside Embrace of the Serpent <---mind-blown
    Hard to call it a favourite, up there with come and see for glad I watched it but not sure Id watch it again (though I did in both cases).

  15. #2893
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Bad Timing goes the full Cosby, its savagely ych y fi, in the same way Under the Skin can draw the male gaze toward the female lead, just as that dimension kicks in it takes you into a queasy place

    Donald Cammell's White of the Eye is worth a rummage, like a coked to the gills been up for 4 days Westbrook-nose nightmare cos editing is almost identical & it has a sound dimension theme a bit like The Shout's, more brash & blunt but a mood thats well done at times & ott at others

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094320/

  16. #2894
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Saw The Devils had a full print restoration recently, took a punt & the dvd came thru the post today...sometimes you have to pay the shekels.

    Its been a while, you forget how many British character actors are in it, plus the Jarman set designs & the general unhinged malevolence that pours from every conceivable outlet, is unadulterated genius.

    Surely one of the best films to come out of these islands in the last 50yrs.

  17. #2895
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,444

    Default

    Finally watched Blade Runner 2049

    Like others, I was wowed by the visuals and confused/bored by the story. (There were quite a few points in the story where I honestly had no idea what anybody's motivations were.)

    I liked how it made the future look simultaneously dismal and grandiose. The vangelesque score and these sweeping shots of what looks like a downpour in some depressing English city centre. There was a really brilliant transition in it when Gosling/K got rescued and the embers of the fire rising into the night sky became something else. Almost think the story was simply there to provide villeneuve an excuse to pull of those visuals, and if so it was worth it.

    Predictably, the bit I was most convinced and depressed by was his VR porn girlfriend. The bit when she's about to kiss him and a message alert pops up as she freezes was bang on.

    In summary: definitely had its moments, but not as good as Spiderman: Homecoming

    p.s. I thought Jared Leto would be in it more, vaguely remembering luka's complaints about his performance. I mean, it was fairly shit but he must have been in it about five minutes?
    Last edited by Corpsey; 04-02-2018 at 01:41 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •