version

I think the most difficult bit to take seriously is that they'd hide a code to discover the whole thing in pop songs, Nintendo mags and cereal boxes and that you could use the map from a very old cereal box and issue of the mag in conjunction with a current pop song. It all seems too specific for anyone to ever put it all together.

version

The fireworks at the start are obviously the signal it's time to enter the tomb since he comments on how odd it is to see them at that time of year, her demeanor completely changes once she sees them and she disappears the following day.

luka

The movie of the TV show about conspiracies, The X-Files slots in between seasons five and six and concerns a deadly extraterrestrial virus that threatens to wipe out the human race –

IdleRich

IdleRich
Dunno about the Owl's Kiss, I want her to be a more powerful and sinister thing than those useless girls.. but she does run away when he sees her so she's not that powerful.. though how the fuck did she get in the cupboard?
Before she appears the window is broken, who broke the window? Was it to wake him and protect him from the Owl's Kiss?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Do you think the Homeless King's literally king of the homeless, or do you think he's a king in exile, as in one of the wealthy people who somehow lost his wealth and is now stuck guarding the tombs for the others?
I think he's literally the king of the homeless. The idea of a fraternity of homeless people with ranks and a leader occurs now and again and I think they tap into that.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think the most difficult bit to take seriously is that they'd hide a code to discover the whole thing in pop songs, Nintendo mags and cereal boxes and that you could use the map from a very old cereal box and issue of the mag in conjunction with a current pop song. It all seems too specific for anyone to ever put it all together.
That was my favourite bit. It makes you think that those things you thought were really cool and magical as a kid, are in fact really cool and magical.

version

Dunno about the Owl's Kiss, I want her to be a more powerful and sinister thing than those useless girls.. but she does run away when he sees her so she's not that powerful.. though how the fuck did she get in the cupboard?
Before she appears the window is broken, who broke the window? Was it to wake him and protect him from the Owl's Kiss?
Is the window still broken later on? If not, that bit might be a dream because he wakes up in the next scene when the police officer and landlord are at his door. Also, he checks for the Owl's Kiss in his sock drawer...

version

That was my favourite bit. It makes you think that those things you thought were really cool and magical as a kid, are in fact really cool and magical.
“One of the things it was inspired by was graphic-adventure games from the ‘80s and ‘90s. In terms of scene construction, you get seemingly common objects that you wouldn’t think have a purpose.” The writer-director explains the point-and-click premise of Maniac Mansion and the Monkey Island series. “As the main character in the game, you assume that this object has a grand purpose. The truth is, sometimes it’s completely meaningless. And sometimes it needs to be combined with something in order to unlock something deeper within the story.”

version

“In relation to some of the things in the film that I think some people are offended by or hurt by, all I can say is that the entire film is built around this character, and from the point of view of this character. He’s a voyeur. There are very brutal waves of sadism. He’s struggling with feelings of misogyny. These are the core elements of what the film is about.

“The camerawork is more subjective than what we did with It Follows. It places you in the mind and eye-line of Sam. Sometimes that’s uncomfortable, and that’s the point. If that resonates with people, that’s cool. If some people are offended, I understand that, too.” The director adds, “No one should be modelling their life after his actions. These aren’t my personal beliefs, these aren’t my personal actions. I made two films with very strong female protagonists, and I thought it’d be interesting to have a very weak male protagonist. That’s probably hard for people to watch, and I get that.”

On Sam’s more unpleasant characteristics, Garfield refers to a scene involving Sarah’s vacated home. Sam climbs through the window and discovers a box. Inside it is a photo, some chewing gum, and a pink vibrator. Garfield had a thought. “I was like: ‘fuck, what would he do?’ This guy is going to pick up the fucking vibrator, and he’s going to not want to smell it, but he’s going to really want to smell it. He’s alone, and he’s going to do it.”

So Garfield suggested the action to Mitchell. “I said to David, ‘This feels like a real thing that this guy would do. I’m not judging him for it, because maybe there’s a part of me that would do that too if I was private and really attracted to a girl. It’s an animal thing. But it’s not a likeable thing. Are you OK with this?’ He was like, ‘I love it.’ So it wasn’t about trying to be unlikeable, but it was about allowing all the impulses to happen without judgement. So beating up the kids – all of it. There was no judgement of him. It was trying to be as honest as possible.”

version

The story felt much tighter this time around. I didn't feel there were as many loose ends as I did originally and it didn't feel as sprawling and inconclusive.

version

There were a couple of things I read online, one of which felt a bit too "Kubrick nutter", but may be true. One was that there's a dramatic change in the story whenever he says the word "fuck" and the other was that his treatment of women changes after the scene with the drone and he stops spying on them.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Definitely he's depressed of course, you can that in the way he doesn't react to the threats of being evicted. At first he's so blase that you wonder if maybe he has a plan, but it's more when everything is too much and you can't deal with it so you just hope it goes away.

IdleRich

IdleRich
There were a couple of things I read online which felt a bit too "Kubrick nutter", but may be true. One was that there's a dramatic change in the story whenever he says the word "fuck" and the other was that his treatment of women changes after the scene with the drone and he stops spying on them.
Didn't notice that but he (both of them) are clearly disturbed by her crying which they see from the drone.

sus

One of the subjects of debate is whether it's just objectifying women or commenting on it. Garfield's a creep from the off, there's a lot of nudity, shots of arses, but it's happening against a backdrop of elite society, people trying to break into Hollywood, exploitation etc and the protagonist's never really played for sympathy. He's just the shambles who stumbles into it all.
Right—it's like a cross between an exploitation flick (Showgirls) and the Hollywood Culture Mafia genre (Mulholland Drive). The social group is the conspiracy. It's all OK if she consents, though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Right—it's like a cross between an exploitation flick (Showgirls) and the Hollywood Culture Mafia genre (Mulholland Drive). The social group is the conspiracy. It's all OK if she consents, though.
But they don't really consent to the voyeurism do they... I mean maybe she does after the fact but he didn't know that at the time so I don't think that gets him off the hook.

sus

This is the right time period too, right? At least a quarter of this film is arguably an Inherent Vice homage. In the chess party scene mimics Phoenix's gestures: the slouch, the handpositioning, the sunglasses sliding down (which is all itself an homage of previous era's detective flicks). The Mulatu Astatke song in that scene might as well be Can.

sus

But they don't really consent to the voyeurism do they... I mean maybe she does after the fact but he didn't know that at the time so I don't think that gets him off the hook.
Yeah you're right. I was mainly referencing the end scene, in the bunker—though there's other strange stuff, like the Owlwoman looking into the video camera, that tells you maybe They Know, maybe they're putting on a show.