Page 194 of 196 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196 LastLast
Results 2,896 to 2,910 of 2929

Thread: Films you've seen recently and would unreservedly recommend:

Been reading people's reactions to BR2049 today and I'm starting to think (or realise) that I'm probably just too thick to have understood the story and it's actually better than I thought it was.

In my defence, I did find myself thinking about it after I'd watched it and I felt compelled to find out what others had thought, so I'm not all bad. Maybe even could be human one day?

This from Reddit, the sort of thing I'd never bother to investigate (mind you I've never read Pale Fire)

You already know that the "baseline" lines are from Nabokov's Pale Fire:

Cells interlinked within cells interlinked

Within one stem. And dreadfully distinct

Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.
    Here's what's interesting:

Pale Fire is hard to describe if you haven't read it, but it consists of a long poem, ostensibly written by (fictitious) famous poet John Shade, followed by "notes" by an editor who proves to be more and more of an unreliable narrator.

The baseline lines are part of Shade's description of what he saw when he had a near-death experience. Some time later, he reads in a newspaper an account from a woman who also had a near-death experience, and, in the poem, the paper quotes her as saying "Beyond that orchard through a kind of smoke / I glimpsed a tall white fountain--and awoke."

Shade sees this as too coincidental -- maybe this is some ur-memory, or proof of an afterlife! So he contacts the newspaper and gets in touch with the woman... who seems to have no memory of this. He checks back with the newspaper, and is told

"It's accurate. I have not changed her style.

There's one misprint--not that it matters much:

Mountain, not fountain. The majestic touch."
    So the "tall white fountain" was an identity-shaking, shared connection between two people... except it turned out not to be true after all. Kinda like K's memory about the horse and the furnace.

edit: The poem part of Pale Fire. The baseline part is 705-707; the woman's quote is 757-758; the misprint quote is 800-802.

Go pick up a copy of Pale Fire! It's the best.

edit edit: To make it even more postmodern-delicious, note lines 781-783. The woman is eager to meet Shade because of her affinity for his poem about Mont Blanc (a tall white mountain). So who influenced whom?

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Been reading people's reactions to BR2049 today and I'm starting to think (or realise) that I'm probably just too thick to have understood the story and it's actually better than I thought it was.

In my defence, I did find myself thinking about it after I'd watched it and I felt compelled to find out what others had thought, so I'm not all bad. Maybe even could be human one day?
    quite the opposite. it's dumb as fuck and other people are even thicker than you ever thought possible

it's irredeemably vapid, but in a ponderous, joyless way.

Nabokov is middlebrow pap for pseuds. Burn those books.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Can you explain why you thought it was dumb as fuck? I went back and found your initial response which was along those lines but you never really went into it. Did you think the plot didn't make sense, or that it was just facile?

What I felt last night watching it was that it presents a very thin version of human life - which is natural, arguably, given that there's barely any really human characters in it. But that is a problem when the film is supposed to be about being (or not being) human. There are obviously humans around, hence Gosling being called a 'fucking skinjob' or whatever it is, but we don't really encounter any of them save for his commanding officer and that dude from 'Captain Phillips'. It makes the world look so miserable that you wonder what's so important about keeping it going for anyone. As you say, it's almost entirely joyless.

Actually come to think of it, the vision of the future in BR2049 is not a little reminiscent of WALL-E, right down to the hologrammatic projections of cultural vitality long past.

Noah.
    i havent seen it yet but im gona watch it tonight and i know its gona be great.

that was totally fucking braindead

11. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Three Billboards - emotionally manipulative shit Coen Bros parody.
    I Tonya - entertaining but disposable Napoleon Dynamite pastiche.

Also watched the ritual again with a non horror fan and was impressed by how much they shit themselves.

Yesterday, it being a tundra out there, I decided to hide out for a few hours in the Curzon soho to watch 'Shape of Water'

Problem 1: ticket was 16 quid - but fine
    Problem 2: the screen (screen 3) was tiny... but fine
    Problem 3: noticed some people chatting during trailers - not a problem, but worried at once that they will continue when the film starts
    Problem 4: subtitles appear IN ENGLISH during trailer for Wes Anderson's dog movie - I don't notice this on any adverts or anything though so I assume it's an anomaly
    Problem 5: people still talking as production credits begin for shape of water - i begin inwardly fuming and fantasising about telling them to shut the fuck up
    Problem 6: subtitles IN ENGLISH appear as film begins

In summary - I went into a heard of hearing screening by mistake and was inwardly plotting to tell some deaf people to shut the fuck up

Happy end: got a ticket in exchange and i'll probably go see it another day

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CORP$EY For This Useful Post:

"The Work". The best thing I've seen in aeons. How can fiction beat real-life group therapy?

"It's a Disaster" is still great, though I've probably said it before here. What is funnier or more full of pathos than finding yourself at a couples brunch when the end of the world happens?

And yes, Noah is one of the worst films I ever saw. How is it possible to make a biblical epic dull?
    Last edited by baboon2004; 01-03-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Alex Garland's 'Annihilation' is on Netflix and is well worth a watch. Has its flaws but full of interesting, disturbing and haunting ideas and images.

Also, for luka, there's a psychedelic sequence which I reckon might somewhat replicate what people see on DMT.

we're giving netflix a trial month and after having watched both seasons of stranger things havent seen a single other thing that looked worth watching so i'll definielty give that i try.
    suprised how cheap and shit netflix is. it's like the entertainment menu on a long haul flight ten years ago. i thought it was supposed to be the future. such a letdown.