IdleRich

IdleRich
He keeps seeing women barking at him like dogs too. The women who chase him out of the bathroom are all barking and snarling and the woman in the pool at night who sticks her leg out like the Owl's Kiss also starts barking at him.

There's also the bit where the daughter of the wealthy guy who disappears is at the club and someone comments on her being there despite her father's disappearance and he says something about people doing strange things when they're in pain.
Yeah he hates women and he associates them with dogs. Probably.

Reactions: sus

sus

There's also the bit where the daughter of the wealthy guy who disappears is at the club and someone comments on her being there despite her father's disappearance and he says something about people doing strange things when they're in pain.
Yes! Great catch!

luka

You lot all have distinct rainman tendencies. I'm jealous. How do you remember all this stuff

version

There's an interesting line in that Dazed interview where the writer suggests we're watching a monster movie from the perspective of the monster. He think he's saving this woman, but he's actually rampaging across LA, harassing women, beating people up, breaking into houses, spying etc.

sus

along with the occasional cinematographic flourish, the score is an overt pastiche of the Bernard Herrmann school of composing... Much like Chinatown’s Jake Gittes, Sam loses his car6 and suffers calamitous injury7, but more significantly, Sam serves as a funhouse reflection of the existential state of the noir protagonist, a figure often characterized as a bleak and sardonic womanizing functional alcoholic.
David Robert Mitchell fuses the two modes, characterizing the city as a surreal playground teeming with desperate dreamers—most often women—striving towards recognition and acceptance, while simultaneously analyzing it as a demonic force intent on sacrificing these innocents to the avarice of rich and powerful men.

version

At least two of these are referenced in the film. It felt like pure genre, or canon pastiche. The car follow scene is basically a remake of the Vertigo car follow scene, down to the music cues and turn sequences. Sarah is a Laura Palmer lookalike. I felt like I saw nods or homages to:

Fisher King
Vertigo
Zodiac
Inherent Vice (chess party)
Mulholland Drive (apartment break-ins, conspiracist friend, Hollywood Culture Mafia)
Eyes Wide Shut
Blue Velvet (hiding in closets)
Short Cuts (Griffith park)
Kiss of the Spider Woman
Chinatown (reservoir)

And half of these, of course, are LA films; the other half are conspiracy flicks
Rebel Without a Cause, Sunset Boulevard and Invasion of the Body Snatchers are in there too. He's even watching Body Snatchers on TV at one point, iirc. They also use locations from some the films.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Rebel Without a Cause, Sunset Boulevard and Invasion of the Body Snatchers are in there too. He's even watching Body Snatchers on TV at one point, iirc. They also use locations from some the films.
I mentioned Sunset Boulevard yesterday I think.
Much like Chinatown’s Jake Gittes, Sam loses his car6 and suffers calamitous injury
Isn't there something with him losing his car in SB too? He ends up going around in her weird old fashioned monstrosity of a car (that looks pretty much the same to us).

version

There's a suggestion "Jesus" is another king and the "Brides of Dracula" are his three brides to be entombed with. Someone mentioned the three girls talking about them all having to "go through Jesus" and sleep with him or something when they're in the pool at that club they're performing at earlier in the thread.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Like I reckon you've got kings who are on top, the homeless guys and Owl's Kiss and maybe The Songwriter who are kinda enforcers and people who know what's going on (maybe that pirate guy too) - and then possibly like unwitting tools and dupes such as the girls and the bands that sing the songwriter's songs.

version

The balloon girl walks around with a balloon on a string like you do a dog on a leash and keeps popping and replacing them.

• Wow