IdleRich

IdleRich
Once upon a time in Hollywood is really good, I loved it. But I saw it at thd cinema with a massive bucket of popcorn, ice blast, large Coke etc.
Me too, was my birthday in fact; Thai meal, wandering round town buying books and records and getting completely sozzled... had to leave the film like three times to piss.

luka

Is this Neal Stephenson?
Read an Exclusive Sword Fight Excerpt from Neal Stephenson's The Mongoliad: Book Three

https://www.wired.com/2013/02/mongoliad-book-three-excerpt/

The knight flopped onto his back, clawing at his helmet with his good hand. He was screaming and crying inside the metal cap; he couldn’t get a good look at what was wrong with his arm. He knew something was wrong, but the pain had to be so intense that his martial resolve had been swept away. He was like the butterfly, lying on the ground, struggling to fly but unable to understand why it couldn’t.

Lakshaman retrieved his other knife from the sand and knelt beside the downed knight. With a grunt, he shoved his blade through the eye slit of the man’s helmet. The man thrashed for a moment and then his limbs stilled.

woops

is not like other people
once upon a time in hollywood is boring, nothing happens, rubbish compared to django or inglourious

catalog

Cinema was packed and there was a buzz about it, longest film for years but full of great set pieces. Ending is outrageous. Much preferred it to django, altho it's similar

woops

is not like other people
can't remember anything about it except the flame thrower, nothing to compare to the amazing orchestration of tension in django, even the hateful 8 was more exciting although that was about twice as long as it should of been. he's past his best

catalog

I find inglorious bastards quite amusing in parts (love the early bit where the guy gives up the family under the floorboards) but it gets too hysterical and a bit unbelievable at the end.

And django has some great dialogue but is also just a bit too fucked up and you feel he's gone into an area that he actually doesn't know enough about.

Same for bastards actually. Whereas I think with Hollywood it's a similar idea to both of those, but he pulls it off in that particular story world.

I mean, he's obviously past his best, nknd of these are as good as Reservoir dogs or pulp fiction, but still, I can't remember having such a good cinema night for ages. Maybe only good time was memorable in same way.

I fell asleep during hateful 8, might have to rewatch.

woops

is not like other people
I find inglorious bastards quite amusing in parts (love the early bit where the guy gives up the family under the floorboards) but it gets too hysterical and a bit unbelievable at the end.

And django has some great dialogue but is also just a bit too fucked up and you feel he's gone into an area that he actually doesn't know enough about.
we must be watching for different reasons, IB is a masterpiece, which he emphasises in the closing scene. django is further exposition of mastery. doesn't have the same sense of cataclsm

starts repeating himself and spinning wheels after these 2. earlier films are just working up

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's like Agatha Christie with guns and Samuel L Jackson shouting motherfucker a lot, which would obviously have greatly improved Death on the Nile.

woops

is not like other people
course, "pf" scuppers the tension with all the back and forth, too many slow bits. doesn't reach the crescendo that makes django or inglourious basterds so great

woops

is not like other people
who gives a f*** about 2 perverts with a gimp in a basement. they're incidental. righteous retribution is not a subplot

IdleRich

IdleRich
My feeling is that MILD SPOILER with IB, Django and OUATITW he set out to right histories wrongs by having them happening differently in his films. A laudable aim perhaps, but not many people are gonna say "My grandfather was in a concentration camp but I feel a lot better about it now I've seen some Jews killing some motherfucking Nazis" - so what is the point? I liked the films fine, but I don't get the point.

woops

is not like other people
it's not about historical fact it's about raising tensions to such a point that the eventual catharsis is maximised

reservoir dogs is good i'll allow. some good psychos in there. pulp fiction is pure kitsch compared to his later work