IdleRich

IdleRich
it's not about historical fact it's about raising tensions to such a point that the eventual catharsis is maximised

reservoir dogs is good i'll allow. some good psychos in there. pulp fiction is pure kitsch compared to his later work
I didn't think it was historical fact, I just questioned the value of any such catharsis.

IdleRich

IdleRich
i didn't, i thought, wicked
Don't get me wrong Tarantino is probably the only director from whom I enjoyed every single film. Death Proof is very slight indeed but fun enough when it's on. Maybe Kill Bill didn't need two parts... I could criticise his leg obsession... but overall I love his stuff.

version

I haven't seen Django, but I didn't think much of Inglorious Basterds and The Hateful 8 was mindnumbingly dull. Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown are his best.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I haven't seen Django, but I didn't think much of Inglorious Basterds and The Hateful 8 was mindnumbingly dull. Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown are his best.
I don't get how H8 was dull... I saw a review saying that literally nothing happened - but there gunfights, loads of people dying. There are films where a lot less happens.

version

I can't remember it too well, but my overall impression is it was a bunch of dull characters sitting in a room together with a few flashbacks and a shootout at the end. I don't remember being engaged at all, and even the Morricone score was subpar. The only highlight for me was the opening shot of the crucifix in the snow.

main-qimg-23fcafc2135632ea4fecd6ad07982669

woops

is not like other people
I don't get how H8 was dull... I saw a review saying that literally nothing happened - but there gunfights, loads of people dying. There are films where a lot less happens.
it's like i said about all the to-ing and fro-ing in pulp fiction. there's a boring bit and then it flashes back to an hour earlier. very clever i suppose but it ruins the momentum

version

I wish Refn had made that Yakuza thing he was talking about at one point,
On August 14, 2016, Refn announced via his Twitter page that his next project would be titled The Avenging Silence, calling it "Ian Fleming + William Burroughs + NWR = The Avenging Silence" and posted images for Fleming's novel, Dr. No and for Burroughs's novel The Soft Machine. Variety reported that producer Lene Borglum described the purported plot as following: "[A] former European spy [accepts] a mission from a Japanese businessman to take down the head of a Yakuza boss in Japan".

IdleRich

IdleRich
Worth a watch... the other side of LA; elite glamour, impossible beauty and still plenty of death - what he dreamed of entering in Silver Lake but could never penetrate. Cold neon vampire death-cult emptiness.