Page 4 of 206 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Films you've seen recently and would unreservedly recommend:

Quote Originally Posted by h-crimm
    fassbinder --------------- plague gods.
    saw this a little while ago... its from the early silly gangster-film period, before the sirk conversion. so i dont expect owen to have any time for it.
    but if you secretly want to watch a high brow version of a brit gangster flick but dont want to rent city of god for fear of looking like a hippy, watch this instead.
    be prepared for the joys of monotonous-drawl-speaking sloth-gangsters.
    ha! i quite like the munich gangsta stuff, tho obv is trounced by the melodramas in my book.

to clarify a bit, reasons why i didn't like The Godfather= it's essentially just an ultraviolent version of the 'well-made play', innit? incredibly glossy period trimmings, meticulous attention to every detail of dress and setting, psychological method acting, all as a backdrop to a really not all that interesting procession of more-or-less random slayings.
    I hear the sequel is better....

oh and Film seconded- do hope it's in the NFT's Buster K season...

you used to be able to get Beckett's Film form that WFMU ubuweb thing

but they had to take it down at the request of the copyright owners....
    howwwwwwwever if your sceptical about how much truck beckett would hold with restrictions on access to work enforced by an dead man's estate you can download it from this direct link:

Film

which WFMU forgot to take down.............................. almost as if on purpose.

droid Guest

Great stuff crimm. Thanks!

Melbourne, Orstraylya, I love Orstraylyia, it's mai favourite place in the world besides California!

TRIBULATION starring Gary busey. The most avant-garde political film making there is today.
    All I do now is dick around Sparks, 2006

Stuff to read on the toilet :linky

droid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buick6
    TRIBULATION starring Gary busey. The most avant-garde political film making there is today.
    Yeah - sounds great...

Appropriate for junior high youth through adult, Tribulation is a good pick for Christians to use for both entertainment as well as evangelism. Brush up on end-times prophecies by reading the book of Revelation in the New Testament, and Daniel in the Old to field questions that will be raised.
    http://www.christiananswers.net/spot...ibulation.html

Default in case people haven't noticed, czech films from the 60s are very good

yesterday i saw and unreservedly recommend-
    Jan Schmidt's End of August at the Hotel Ozone

which is a staggeringly unpleasant film in which eight young women roam a post-nuclear landscape hoping to find a man, killing dogs and setting things on fire for entertainment. lots of very pre-Stalker ruined cities, vegetation overrunning baroque churches...it posits that the last piece of music to survive the nuclear holocaust will be a 78 of 'roll out the barrel', in czech

also saw and recommend buster keaton in 'haunted house'- particularly the slide to hell...

Default more keaton

had never been sure of keaton, but went to see 3 short films last night including sherlock, jr. am now a total convert... brilliant physical comedy & amazingly inventive film-making... superlative

Quote Originally Posted by owen
    yesterday i saw and unreservedly recommend-
    Jan Schmidt's End of August at the Hotel Ozone

where did you see that?? sounds perfect!

herr crimm, it was on at the NFT, in the Pavel Juracek season (he wrote the script). i think it was the last showing, but the season is still on for the rest of the week.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh i'm in suburban chicago at the mo' unfortunately. its all about the biggest-polish-population-in-the-world here, so down with the czesky. and there's the dark spectres of robert ebert and gene siskel hangin over chicago cinemas at all levels.

saw robert townsend and keenan ivory wayans' hollywood shuffle, heavily cut up with advert breaks, on teevee sunday night. thats about the peak of my recent viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by big satan
    recommended: grizzly man. i'm a sucker for gawping at derranged and delusional americans.
    You should check out Herzog's documentary about his personal and working relationship with Klaus Kinski, My Best Fiend. Kinski is easily the acme of deranged and delusional. Best bit: when Herzog nonchalantly reveals that, during the filming of Fitzcarrraldo, the chief of the Campas Indian tribe working as extras offered to have Kinski killed for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada J Soup
    You should check out Herzog's documentary about his personal and working relationship with Klaus Kinski, My Best Fiend. Kinski is easily the acme of deranged and delusional. Best bit: when Herzog nonchalantly reveals that, during the filming of Fitzcarrraldo, the chief of the Campas Indian tribe working as extras offered to have Kinski killed for him.
    he mentions this in a manner in grizzly man
    which i saw last night and thought was incredible - herzog is a master.
    quite moving stuff and amazingly poetic.

Question

a friend of mine kept waxing lyrical about a Herzog (short?) film called "The Green Ants",
    or something similar...But I've never found anything even *resembling* that title...

...does anyone know what film I'm on about?

Where the Green Ants Dream? I haven't seen it myself (not sure if it's available on DVD), but people either seem to love it or find it a bit meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada J Soup
    Where the Green Ants Dream? I haven't seen it myself (not sure if it's available on DVD), but people either seem to love it or find it a bit meh.
    - ta

that must be it...