Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I thought Slumdog was OK. I mean it was way, way cheesy, but I decided to take off my cynical hat and just enjoy it as a bit of feel-good fluff. (Wow, how un-Dissensian is that?)

crackerjack

I thought Slumdog was OK. I mean it was way, way cheesy, but I decided to take off my cynical hat and just enjoy it as a bit of feel-good fluff. (Wow, how un-Dissensian is that?)

Watch Cannibal Holocaust and the entire works of Tarkovsky for absolution.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
this may be old hat for you Europeans given that it won the Palme d'Or, but I saw The Class (aka Entre Les Murs) yesterday and it completely blew me away. Absolutely stunning. I cannot recommend it highly enough, one of the best films I've ever seen.

Has anyone else seen it? I'd be interested to hear some reactions, particularly from any French Dissensians.

zhao

there are no accidents
before it's too late.....

very odd film indeed.

Those scenes of sacrifice in the Mayan city. Wow!

i was completely impressed. can not imagine a project of this magnitude being carried out with more integrity -- style, language, action, etc -- as "historicall accurate" as is possible i imagine... has there been any archeological beef about it? and absent of didactic preachy bullshit (but people can read anything into anything can't they)

whatever Gibson's faults, i am pretty much floored by this one (and i avoided it for so long!)

Lichen

I can only imagine it was more a feat of Mel's violent, febrile imagination than one of archaeological extrapolation.

But what the hey!

My 6 year old daughter poked her round the sitting room door during one of the scenes that rove through the Mayan capital. I moved very fast; hard to imagine anything I would less like her to see, prone as she is to nightmares.

D84

I checked out Happy-Go-Lucky to see what the fuss was about and enjoyed it.

I'm not sure what movie Mike Leigh is talking about. The main middle class character is cheerful, yes, but but she's also manipulative and deluded (and simply annoying). I think the first thing she says in the film at bookshop is something like "Reality? Who wants to go there?" The dancing classes imo contrast her spinelessness with the Spanish teacher's nerve (is that the right word?). Similarly the scenes with her alone with her best friend have a lot more sexual tension the sex scene with the guy she picked up at the school.

And the driving lesson scenes are really tense.. I certainly didn't come out of the film feeling more up-lifted with the world.

mms

sometimes
I checked out Happy-Go-Lucky to see what the fuss was about and enjoyed it.

I'm not sure what movie Mike Leigh is talking about. The main middle class character is cheerful, yes, but but she's also manipulative and deluded (and simply annoying). I think the first thing she says in the film at bookshop is something like "Reality? Who wants to go there?" The dancing classes imo contrast her spinelessness with the Spanish teacher's nerve (is that the right word?). Similarly the scenes with her alone with her best friend have a lot more sexual tension the sex scene with the guy she picked up at the school.

And the driving lesson scenes are really tense.. I certainly didn't come out of the film feeling more up-lifted with the world.

the only thing i liked about that film really was that the roads where the driving scenes are filmed are my neighbourhood and you catch a glimpse of the flats i live in once. I thought the lead character would just be an enormous pain in the arse if you knew her.

D84

I thought the lead character would just be an enormous pain in the arse if you knew her.

Well I went in expecting to hate her, and in hating her I enjoyed the film. It's the only way it makes any sense.

vimothy

yurp
Oh dear, I was looking forward to seeing Slumdog. It won all those Baftas!

I watched it, at the missus' request (it being Valentines day and all) -- never heard of it, didn't hate it, wouldn't recommend it though.

In other news, I saw No Country for Old Men, which was good, and Naked, which was better. Man, it was a laugh a minute film sesh! (If only the central characters could meet, I feel sure that they'd cancel each other out, somehow).

Also got hold of Waltz with Bashir and Al Jazeera's 15 part epic The War for Lebanon -- set them aside for the next time I feel like having some fun.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
so no one's seen The Class? or they have don't have any comments on it? not to go on, just it's a fantastic movie & one I really think would appeal to many Dissensus folk.

oh & on another note I just saw Rockers for the first time the other night. which I imagine a lot of people have seen but hell i'll recommend it anyway. even better than I thought it'd be, some absolutely killer moments; the montage of dreads striding tall to "Stepping Razor", the scene that produced the sample for Splash - "Babylon", pretty much every scene with Gregory Isaacs.

chimpybits

so no one's seen The Class? or they have don't have any comments on it? not to go on, just it's a fantastic movie & one I really think would appeal to many Dissensus folk.

OK, that's all I need: 1 ringing endorsement. I loved a previous film by this director - TIme Out. Based on the setup/description, The Class seems to have a lot of possibility to suck, but I'll now give it a go.

I'm part way through The Rockers as it turns out, and it's naturalistic style is giving a nice sense of time and place so far.

Hey hasn't anyone seen Notorious yet (and no jokers I'm not referring to the Hitch film which is peerless)?

elgato

I just dont know
post2.jpg

i unreservedly recommend this one

nochexxx

harco pronting
i watched Glory to the Filmmaker! (Kitano's latest) with great anticipation and wasn't disappointed. his sense of humour suits my laugh. if your a die hard fan then you're in for a treat, you get to see more of the multifaceted world, which kitano resides.

images

images

crackerjack

Well, how is it? Any other thoughts? Would you at least reservedly recommend it ('scuse my non-conformance to this thread's purpose)?

Pardon my twattishness, I wsa just in the mood.

I'd recommend it if you're a biggie fan and don't have enormous expectations. I am and didn't, and consequently enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The music clips are good, performances mostly OK and if you can stomach the general whitewashing (particularly of Puffy, who co-produced the film and, coincidentally, comes out of it looking almost saintly) it's OK.

More here

chimpybits

Pardon my twattishness, I wsa just in the mood.

I'd recommend it if you're a biggie fan and don't have enormous expectations ... and if you can stomach the general whitewashing ...

More here
I'm mostly interested in getting a sense of the local culture within a particular time and place. Generally, I don't think much of biopics except for this element. The whitewashing obviously takes away from this (as well as the credibility of it as a realistic biopic). The tone of you're slight twatishness was lost on me - sorely lacking a wink emoticon.

crackerjack

I'm mostly interested in getting a sense of the local culture within a particular time and place. Generally, I don't think much of biopics except for this element.

You get some of that - street rhyme battles, dealing etc. But they' went with a bit list of important events in Big's life they felt obliged to put in and everything else is just strung around them.

chimpybits

You get some of that - street rhyme battles, dealing etc. But they' went with a bit list of important events in Big's life they felt obliged to put in and everything else is just strung around them.
Yep the problem with biopics - filling in all the blanks that comprise the played out history of a star. Still I'll see it.