faustus

In The Loop

Armando Iannucci's new thing, adapted loosely from the thick of it.

just really, really funny

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i just saw Brotherhood of Death----classic blaxploitation film
it is the other side of the coin to Birth of a Nation
very visceral, often very funny, but also deadly serious

ok maybe a little pedantic

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
'The Two Jakes' - shame Towne's planned trilogy didn't pan out, but this is very good...despite the complex plot (well, it lost me anyway) - very weird sex scene - or is it me? If anyone's seen it and recalls the scene in Jake's office, let me know your thoughts.

Just started Altman's 'The Long Goodbye' - shaping up to be the best film ever made.

'Carnival Of Souls' - mad B-movie...great finale, though...famously influential, apparently.

crackerjack

'The Two Jakes' - shame Towne's planned trilogy didn't pan out, but this is very good...despite the complex plot (well, it lost me anyway) - very weird sex scene - or is it me? If anyone's seen it and recalls the scene in Jake's office, let me know your thoughts.

Just started Altman's 'The Long Goodbye' - shaping up to be the best film ever made.

'Carnival Of Souls' - mad B-movie...great finale, though...famously influential, apparently.

TLG is fantastic, never get tired of it. 2 Jakes has been expunged from memory ages ago - remember being baffled and a bit bored, nowt else.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, I thought that this film was ok despite the fact that everyone says it was utterly shit. Maybe would have been better (or worse) if I had watched it sooner after Chinatown so I could remember who everyone was etc I do remember the sex scene in the office actually, it's kind of played like a comedy isn't it?

Carnival of Souls is fantastic. The ending is predictable (and if you didn't guess what was going to happen when the chair span round then....) but it looks so good all the way and the atmosphere and music is brilliant. In fact, I think the inevitability of the ending makes it all the scarier.

hucks

Your Message Here
so no one's seen The Class? or they have don't have any comments on it? not to go on, just it's a fantastic movie & one I really think would appeal to many Dissensus folk.

I saw this yesterday and thought it was really boring until the last half hour or so, when they were dealing with the expulsion of Souleymane. The Malian mother and the all-white staff made for a really interesting study on multicultural Paris (or something). The fact that he had to translate for his own mother what the staff were saying made it really moving - he had total respect for her and knew how much he was hurting her.

But I thought, given the richness of the source material, we got very little about the other students.

I will say this, tho - I have never been so drunk at the cinema in my life. I'd had a massive boozy lunch and kept going all day. So this may have played with my attention span somewhat. And I went to the Curzon Soho (£12! VIDIPRINTER: TWELVE POUNDS!) where they let you take drinks into the cinema itself.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
finally got around to ONIBABA---the best thing i have seen in a while. i am a sucker for moving grasses on celluloid (like in tarkovsky's films).

also watched a couple music documentaries yesterday. A Skin Too Few----the one about Nick Drake; and You're Gonna Miss Me about Roky Erickson. i would love to have a copy of Nick Drake's mother's songs. really haunting. maybe trunk ought to reissue this? and yes, we need to see Roky's mother's films on DVD. as disparate as these two musicians are, they both had creative and talented mothers.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Yeah, I thought that this film was ok despite the fact that everyone says it was utterly shit. Maybe would have been better (or worse) if I had watched it sooner after Chinatown so I could remember who everyone was etc I do remember the sex scene in the office actually, it's kind of played like a comedy isn't it?

Carnival of Souls is fantastic. The ending is predictable (and if you didn't guess what was going to happen when the chair span round then....) but it looks so good all the way and the atmosphere and music is brilliant. In fact, I think the inevitability of the ending makes it all the scarier.

Probably Jacko's idea of 'comedy', which just struck a bum (no pun intended) note - he say's something about her 'keeping her ass in the air'? and 'trying to be a gentleman about this'? Anyway, crude and wrong, I reckon.

COS benefits mostly from the soundtrack to my mind...for the atmosphere...otherwise an oddball B but not exceptional save for the finale. The idea about her passing over into 'the world beyond' is effective though.

Watching 'Network' again...the classic scenes of Finch preaching about the state of the world and the function of TV are still spot on and gripping.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I saw this yesterday and thought it was really boring until the last half hour or so, when they were dealing with the expulsion of Souleymane. The Malian mother and the all-white staff made for a really interesting study on multicultural Paris (or something)...

I dunno man I thought the whole thing was a "really interesting study on multicultural Paris (or something)". tho like most of these kinds of cinema verite films - & biopics for that matter - that succeed it did so (for me) precisely b/c it didn't set out to be a Study or a grand sweeping Statement about Multicultural France or whatever. it just a yr in this dude's life, & I thought it said as much by what it didn't say - the utter inability of the teacher & students to communicate & such.

that bit with Souleymane was absolutely devastating tho. also the scene where the French-Caribbean dude recites his self portrait ("I hate having to visit my brother in jail", etc.).

anyway I understand how it might be boring to some ppl, being a movie almost entirely of words & ideas. tho this...

I will say this, tho - I have never been so drunk at the cinema in my life.

...not the kind of film enhanced by substances I'd think.

Last edited:

crackerjack

Not news, I know, but Aguirre: Wrath of God is incredible. 1 goes mad up the Amazon. Final scene - alone on his raft, surrounded by corpses and monkeys, plotting new 'conquests' - should be force-fed to bankers.

IdleRich

IdleRich
For some reason Kinski is good at playing an utterly demented and selfish megalomaniac. Anyone read his autobiography? I've heard only bad things about it.
I watched Army of Shadows directed by Melville a couple of days back which is about resistance fighters in France during WW2 - it's really very tense and should definitely appeal to anyone who likes his other films. Hard to say what it is about Melville that means his gangster films are superior gangster films and his war films are superior war films but there's definitely something that makes them seem more cerebral without sacrificing feeling.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
For some reason Kinski is good at playing an utterly demented and selfish megalomaniac. Anyone read his autobiography? I've heard only bad things about it.

It's fucking incredible! I can only assume the reviews you've read were written by people with little or no sense of humour. Quite possibly the most entertaining (proabbly largely fictitious) book I've ever read. Great work on the translation, too.

As for Aguirre - wow. Best opening scene ever, almost.

I have Stroszek to watch this weekend, and I'm looking forward to it :cool:

crackerjack

It's fucking incredible! I can only assume the reviews you've read were written by people with little or no sense of humour. Quite possibly the most entertaining (proabbly largely fictitious) book I've ever read. Great work on the translation, too.

As for Aguirre - wow. Best opening scene ever, almost.

Anyone else seen Rescue Dawn? It's pretty undramatic (US airman gets captured by VC, endures, escapes), but i enjoyed it more than i expected. Fantastic use of locations, as you'd expect of Herzog, the long-term cooped-up are convincingly nutty and Bale is def one of the best leading men around.

And those fucking leaches :eek::eek:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"It's fucking incredible! I can only assume the reviews you've read were written by people with little or no sense of humour. Quite possibly the most entertaining (proabbly largely fictitious) book I've ever read. Great work on the translation, too."
Sorry yeah, I meant bad in a good way although I realise now that that wasn't at all obvious from what I said. It was banned or something wasn't it?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Or reveal some disgusting fantasies about his daughter?"
Ha ha - my friend told me that there is a bit when he is fucking this woman who plays his daughter in a film and he says something like "Obviously it's not really dodgy because she's not my real daughter - although while I was doing it I liked to pretend that she was".

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
that is possibly my favorite of herzog's narrative films
i am a big fan of the last 25 minutes or so
something of a visual poem
enjoy!

for fans of Rescue Dawn, check out Herzog's Doc Little Dieter Needs to Fly----probably more harrowing----certainly more humorous.