empty mirror

remember the jackalope
wendy & lucy was good

not as good as say, vagabond, but what is?

are there enough woman drifter films out there for this to be considered a genre?

tusk

Terranaut
District 9

Was lucky enough to attend a preview of this one. A detailed, emotionally resonant and visceral dose of mayhem. It will most probably generate a fair bit of controversy due to its skewed portrayal of Nigerians and Voudon but the pacing, FX and some performances are amazing. The less you know about it going into the theater the better.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
I've seen a clip of that film...er...couldn't decide if I was watching a terrible B-movie or someone's attempt to make a 'radical' sci-fi film. Kind of intriguing, though. But the alien, when standing waving his robotic arms about and throwing cars at cops looked...clunky, to say the least....reminded me of Robbie (spelling?) in Lost In Space.

sufi

lala
this
Herzog's documentary about his personal and working relationship with Klaus Kinski, My Best Fiend. Kinski is easily the acme of deranged and delusional. Best bit: when Herzog nonchalantly reveals that, during the filming of Fitzcarrraldo, the chief of the Campas Indian tribe working as extras offered to have Kinski killed for him.

& this
The story of Anvil - entertaining and brimming with pathos.
as spinal tap have started out as satire and have become a real band, this is the real real thing
imho they went wrong after they lost touchwith their dildonic roots back in the 80s
anvil.jpg

craner

Beast of Burden
I saw King of Comedy for the first time a year ago. It was on TV. It was, I thought, the best De Niro (just about) and best Scorcese (by a mile) film I'd ever seen. Although I do think it could have done without Sandra Bernhard.

following on from Craner's recomendation i watched School of the Holy Beast, which i thought was a little short from being fantastic, primarily because of the somewhat daft ending and also the priests badly made beard (although the latter was more forgiveable).

It's possible this film doesn't work as well if you're following a breathless recommendation. It's best to discover it. And I must say, the daft ending seems incidental to the entire film's epic daftness. The daftness makes it more profound, obviously.

can anyone recommend me more Japanese exploitation films? ta.

There's really only one way to go from here.

2122952907_5112547dd4.jpg

nochexxx

harco pronting
I saw King of Comedy for the first time a year ago. It was on TV. It was, I thought, the best De Niro (just about) and best Scorcese (by a mile) film I'd ever seen. Although I do think it could have done without Sandra Bernhard. ]

yep i agree, works on so many levels, i like the fact it was underpinned by very subtle side splitting comedy!
and i love scorcese's strategy of not giving too many clues as to whether he can actually do it. right until the very end i was thinkng this could go either way.

I
It's possible this film doesn't work as well if you're following a breathless recommendation. It's best to discover it. And I must say, the daft ending seems incidental to the entire film's epic daftness. The daftness makes it more profound, obviously. ]

well i thought it was good, made me chuckle.

I
There's really only one way to go from here.

2122952907_5112547dd4.jpg

thanks will have a look at what this is when i get home, images don't seem to display at work.

nochexxx

harco pronting
thanks for the tips, just watched prisoner 701 and was totally blown away! hope the rest of the trilogy follows suit.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"thanks for the tips, just watched prisoner 701 and was totally blown away! hope the rest of the trilogy follows suit."
I thought that the second one was a huge disappointment. Didn't seem to have any of the wit or excitement of the first installment.

Anyway, I watched a Russian film called Letters From A Dead Man yesterday. It's a hard hitting but low-key post-apocalyptic thing where the remnants of humanity scratch a living underground, periodically donning their radiation suits to venture out and wander around the corpse filled industrial wasteland above, which is locked in an eternal twilight in which the sun never truly shines.
The main character - a former nobel prize winner - and his friends are living in a derelict museum and are slowly falling apart both mentally and physically, ranting about the evils of mankind and occasionally killing themselves.
An even more sinister side of this half-world is represented by the shadowy authority figures who issue curfews, clampdown on the black market in food, medicine and books (for burning obviously), and control access to the passes which allow people to enter the promised land of the central bunker.
A mixture of absolute bleakness and, at times, beautiful imagery this is a very depressing and powerful film but well worth watching, especially as a companion piece to maybe Threads or The End of August at the Hotel Ozone, other films which issue a warning about how we might just end up.
I also watched The Blob with Steve McQueen.

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
this

& this

as spinal tap have started out as satire and have become a real band, this is the real real thing
imho they went wrong after they lost touchwith their dildonic roots back in the 80s
anvil.jpg

immediatley after watching i wanted to go out and find a copy of Thumb Hang!

nochexxx

harco pronting
I thought that the second one was a huge disappointment. Didn't seem to have any of the wit or excitement of the first installment.

how do you follow on from something so perfectly executed?! i’ve since watched the other parts (tad confused because aren’t there four parts to said ‘trilogy’, then there's the new Scorpion Prisoner series after?), and although I didn’t think they were as good as Prisioner 701 I still thought there were some fantastic scenes.

Jailhouse41c2.jpg

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
'Frost/Nixon' - great performance by Frank Langella, brilliantly conveying a character of great charm and cunning...and it makes you wonder what Nixon was really like, how true the portrayal was. Soppy ending, though, which kind of schmoozes up to 'Mister President' as if he was, finally, just a sad, misguided old man who make a few bad choices. Overall, though, I really enjoyed this film. The only other criticism I have is that it doesn't explain Frost's switch from lamb to wolf other than suggesting that a call from Nixon somehow provoked the change.

Halfway through 'El Topo'...ummm...not sure where I'll find the strength to carry on...:confused:

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
'Frost/Nixon' - great performance by Frank Langella, brilliantly conveying a character of great charm and cunning...and it makes you wonder what Nixon was really like, how true the portrayal was. Soppy ending, though, which kind of schmoozes up to 'Mister President' as if he was, finally, just a sad, misguided old man who make a few bad choices. Overall, though, I really enjoyed this film. The only other criticism I have is that it doesn't explain Frost's switch from lamb to wolf other than suggesting that a call from Nixon somehow provoked the change.

the call from Nixon was fictional yeah - which I don't have a problem with, except that Frost never made the switch from lamb to wolf. I've not seen the actual interviews but from what I've read after seeing the film, at least. the light the film casts the interviews in is rather misleading, they weren't a watershed cultural moment, Nixon didn't really admit anything & he essentially "won".

OTOH agree fully that Langella was absolutely brilliant, & the portrayal of Nixon was really what mattered more than historical accuracy. dude who played Frost was alright but a bit overmatched (tho actually that's probably exactly how it was in real life).

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
also - just watched Lilya 4-Ever yesterday. sweet jesus is it a grim, grim movie, almost unspeakably so. tho admittedly the subject matter doesn't really lend itself to anything else. either way certainly worth watching, a film that should be watched. definitely a movie that i will remember vividly for the rest of my life. which isn't something you can say about very many films. the lead actress is absolutely fantastic as well. [SPOILER ALERT] that scene near the end where she blankly tells one of the johns that he can't buy her heart & soul just about broke my heart. [END SPOILER ALERT]

*EDIT* just in case it wasn't clear I very highly recommend the film - just be forewarned that watching it could be a difficult experience (tho perhaps the more valuable for that)

it was the first moodysson film I've seen tho he's been recommended by several people, certainly based on this I'm quite interested in his other work.

Last edited: