padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
& he would be wrong, w/all due respect to Brecht. maybe "a degree of manipulation is unavoidable" would be more agreeable. b/c even if the goal is to inspire critical thinking rather than elicit an emotional response there is still a manipulation going on. I suppose Brecht's - & I don't know a great deal about him, tbc - answer might be that it's a more honest manipulation & one done for more noble purposes. which may or may not be right, I dunno, it's subjective I guess.

grizzleb

& he would be wrong, w/all due respect to Brecht. maybe "a degree of manipulation is unavoidable" would be more agreeable. b/c even if the goal is to inspire critical thinking rather than elicit an emotional response there is still a manipulation going on. I suppose Brecht's - & I don't know a great deal about him, tbc - answer might be that it's a more honest manipulation & one done for more noble purposes. which may or may not be right, I dunno, it's subjective I guess.
I think what you are saying is true to the extent that every experience we are involvd in is emotional to some extent. As I sit and type this I'm maybe a bit bored, hungry, thinking about last weekend yada yada.
But I think the point Brecht seems to make is that leading an audience on to generate a specific emotion response is the exact opposite aim in his work, any emotion that is encountered is thus not 'supposed' to be thus, a critical response on the part of the audience is, which IMO is different from simple emotional response. Is philosophizing an emotional/manipulative experience? Or an intellectual/academic experience?
Of course the boundaries are not so clean cut as I said earlier, but they have to exist for functional reasons.
Simple theatrical devices to get an audience relating to characters is different from showing examples of how a particular set of possible circumstances function in order that an audience may have some food for thought. If every type of art is just emotional manipulation then where is the room for reflection, where is the room for true politics?
Any emotions encountered in such a work is just run-off.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
snakes.jpg

On A

MartinBalcomb18_sm.jpg

Just sublimely retarted. Worth watching purely to hear Samuel L. deliver that line. Definite guilty-pleasure material.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
valerie_behindthemask.jpg

valerie and her week of wonders
gauzy dream-like and weird----like a moving painting
amazing score
watching it is like seeing childhood memories projected on to a spider web in the corner of your grandmother's bedroom wall where her braid now hangs

pajbre

valerie is so good. broadcast named a song after that movie and would not be surprised if they sampled a bit of the score.

a friend once commented that the movie does a good job of emulating the fluidity of identity of various people in a child's eyes. or if you're, you know, tripping. characters folding into other characters.

just saw costa-gavras' 'state of siege.' excellent lefty thriller starring yves montand.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
valerie is so good. broadcast named a song after that movie and would not be surprised if they sampled a bit of the score.

a friend once commented that the movie does a good job of emulating the fluidity of identity of various people in a child's eyes. or if you're, you know, tripping. characters folding into other characters.
yeah, i am after "the valerie project" album----members of espers and such recorded something of an alternate soundtrack. supposed to be good.

spot on w/r/t yr second paragraph there. ever see the reflecting skin? it is the perfect companion piece to valerie. vampires and weird sexuality through the eyes of a boy. really fantastic movie, but not in print for some reason. the second it gets a criterion release (or any DVD release) i am all over it. they used to play it on TV a lot when i was like 13 or so. have seen it a million times. impossible to forget.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That Reflecting Skin thing looks amazing - never heard of it before. Nice one.
The Company of Wolves is somewhat similar in theme as well, I think Angela Carter acknowledges a debt to Valerie. The film is not as good or weird of course.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
A quick search of certain bittorrent trackers reveals that it has been released on DVD, but only in Japan. I'll get it when I have some ratio to spare, it's only a 700mb rip so I could probably transfer it to you somehow if you're interested.

This thread is fantastic by the way, I have been slowly making my way through it and the previous 'top 10 films' topic.

Watched The House With Laughing Windows last month after someone mentioned it long ago, I definitely second the recommendation. I don't really know much about Giallo films, thought they were mainly about overwrought horror tropes with weird music. Don't know if this one is particularity atypical, but it was quite light on the sex and gore and instead spent its time being tense and creepy as fuck. Which is much more up my street.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That Reflecting Skin thing looks amazing - never heard of it before. Nice one.
The Company of Wolves is somewhat similar in theme as well, I think Angela Carter acknowledges a debt to Valerie. The film is not as good or weird of course.

But it's still brilliant. Ordering Valerie on Amazon now - sounds amazing.

Agree with haiku - phenomenal thread, definitely one of the best sources of info on Dissensus.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"A quick search of certain bittorrent trackers reveals that it has been released on DVD, but only in Japan. I'll get it when I have some ratio to spare, it's only a 700mb rip so I could probably transfer it to you somehow if you're interested."
The Reflecting Skin one? Thanks a lot, I'm very keen to see it but don't go to any trouble 'cause I reckon I can get it elsewhere. Obviously I'll probably come crawling back when I can't....

viktorvaughn

Watched The House With Laughing Windows last month after someone mentioned it long ago, I definitely second the recommendation. I don't really know much about Giallo films, thought they were mainly about overwrought horror tropes with weird music. Don't know if this one is particularity atypical, but it was quite light on the sex and gore and instead spent its time being tense and creepy as fuck. Which is much more up my street.

Yeah it's not exactly a typical giallo which as you say are all about OTT blood sex silly deaths silly soundtracks moustaches etc. Heavy film!

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
But it's still brilliant. Ordering Valerie on Amazon now - sounds amazing.

Agree with haiku - phenomenal thread, definitely one of the best sources of info on Dissensus.

get the "second run" release
i saw the facets one, which i didn't have any problems with, but apparently the second run one is better.

lanugo

von Verfall erzittern
martyrs.poster.jpg

Pascal Laugier's Martyrs - probably the most gruesome and sickening horror film ever made :eek:. Unlike all the rhetorical superlatives stirring up the media hype about Lars von Trier's "Antichrist" (which, admittely, I haven't seen yet but expect to be utter garbage, considering the preposterous statements Trier made in interviews and the way it's received and celebrated in mainstream media by clueless critics), the above assessment is not in the least hyperbolic but simply accurate. Truly transgressive and unpretentiously artful cinema. I think, Bataille would very much approve of this film.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
later this week i plan to see the other two parts as i'm curious to know how the plot will develop. surely it can only be drivel from here onwards? no spoilers please!

Noche - did you ever get around to seeing the other two instalments of Sleepaway Camp?

nochexxx

harco pronting
Noche - did you ever get around to seeing the other two instalments of Sleepaway Camp?

i watched the second film and enjoyed it for its Herschell-esque creepiness but ultimately felt that it wasn't nearly as good as the first film. in terms of shock value i'm not sure where can you go from there.

watched valerie the other night and loved it. thanks for the tip!
i'd like to see more czech films, any more recommendations?

agreed, this thread is pure solid gold.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
watched valerie the other night and loved it. thanks for the tip!
i'd like to see more czech films, any more recommendations?
i went and listened to the broadcast song "valerie" yesterday and it was nice to have visuals from the film flicker under my lids along to the music.

my first thought when someone says czech film is "closely watched trains". czech new wave, i guess... also has a child protagonist, but no vampirism, unfortunately.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah it's not exactly a typical giallo which as you say are all about OTT blood sex silly deaths silly soundtracks moustaches etc. Heavy film!

I would like to take issue with this, um, grotesque distortion. They have nothing to do with moustaches.