D

droid

DigitalDjigit said:
Hostel was the biggest piece of shit I've had the misfortune of seeing in a theater. I wish I walked out earlier than I did. It's stupid and vile. It's like Harold & Kumar Go To Bathory's Castle.

laugh.gif
Nah - more like 'Eurotrip meets Texas Chainsaw Massacre' or 'American Pie meets Saw'.

Entertaining as it was- youd have to be a moron to actually pay to see it! ;)

Octopus?

DigitalDjigit said:
Hostel was the biggest piece of shit I've had the misfortune of seeing in a theater. I wish I walked out earlier than I did. It's stupid and vile. It's like Harold & Kumar Go To Bathory's Castle.

That's a pretty extreme reaction, what were you expecting it to be like when you walked in? It never really tried to pass itself off as Onibaba or anything. :)

tox

Factory Girl
styledubk said:
"Art School Confidential". If you liked "Ghost World" then you'll definitely like this new one.

Excited about seeing this one, as Ghostworld is one of my favourite films. Didn't realise it was out already, but I'm stuck in a land of very very late films so I guess I'll have to wait to see it. The reviews around the net seem a little on the negative side, but perhaps that's due to quirkiness rather than a poor quality flick.

Broken Flowers came out here last week so caught that one. Pleasant enough, and quite an easy watch, but nothing particularly special in my opinion. There's an interesting sense of humour to it though, very reminicent of a Wes Anderson flick. The music was nice too.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Octopus? said:
That's a pretty extreme reaction, what were you expecting it to be like when you walked in? It never really tried to pass itself off as Onibaba or anything. :)

Yeah, I was really pissed off after I saw it. A friend wanted me to come along and I had no idea what it was. Only after I was in my seat did I remember that I saw a preview of it and how shit it looked then.

Exigent

Wibble
I've seen a couple of films in Spanish recently that I would never have seen in Europe, Voces Innocentes, Chronicos and Habla Con Ella are all very, very good.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Just saw "Sasquatch Dumpling". If you liked Napoleon Dynamite then you will like this as well. It's very similar but a lot funnier. I thought Napoleon Dynamite showed promise but was a bit too weird for weirdness sake and none of the characters were likeable. This movie fixes those problems. I think it's coming out in August in limited release and DVD on December. I saw it in a film festival.

ripley

confucius said:
really? the "levels" being entertainment and... what others?

I found lots to like about it, all making it more entertaining than your average entertainment.

I liked how people had these bizarre characteristics/talents and yet nobody was having a big existential crisis about it - they were like jobs. They weren't going on about being 'chosen' or 'am i or aren't i human'
One just was a bear sometimes, that's all. And it wasn't their whole identity - it didn't seem to be anyone's defining characteristic. that seemed to me to be quite Russian in a way I can't define.

I liked that the main character made what turned out to be a terrible mistake, but in a way that many of us might have sympathized with him at first and been equally indicted with him later (I felt quite embarassed by how little I had thought of it) and he didn't get to redeem himself or get excused, nor was he clearly Damned For All Eternity for it. neither was there endless breastbeating or accusing. Plenty of people made mistakes but it wasn't really ascribed to be fundamental aspects of their characters. People weren't "winners" and "losers"

that seemed at least very non-american.

many of the things I liked were these ways in which it diverged from other entertaining flicks, while remaining entertaining.

bruno

est malade
luigi batzella - la bestia in calore (1977) and
cesare canevari - l'ultima orgia del III reich (1977)

the first one is barely watchable, substandard garbage, but good fun nonetheless. the second one is a different story, a lot of thought went into this (and into ripping off the night porter, apparently, though i haven't seen it). the music is great, acting is decent and the whole thing has that special 1977 twilight end-of-the-world vibe. how they managed to fund these things is beyond me.

both very un-pc and probably 'video nasties', so don't bother looking in amazon.

blunt

shot by both sides
ripley said:
I liked that the main character made what turned out to be a terrible mistake, but in a way that many of us might have sympathized with him at first and been equally indicted with him later (I felt quite embarassed by how little I had thought of it) and he didn't get to redeem himself or get excused, nor was he clearly Damned For All Eternity for it. [...] People weren't "winners" and "losers". that seemed at least very non-american.

I rather suspect that all of these virtues will be undone by the sequels ;)

It was fairly stylish, no doubt, but personally i couldn't find anything particularly substantial about it.

confucius said:
really? the "levels" being entertainment and... what others?

lighting, cinematography, art direction, special effects...

I've worked a bit in film doing art direction on commercials, some short films, tv programs, stills campaigns but only one feature and I can't look at a film without noticing all the incidentals, like the quality of a key prop, the framing of a shadow across a wall, the placement of a chair, the single crane shot of a cityscape going to a headshot and the focus puller having his work cut out. The cliche cut and sting which creates the fright in movies.

I do it with music too. Pull it all to bits in real time then put it back and assimilate the whole thing.

I remember something Miles Davis said about playing whats not there.

It's too easy to just hear or see whats there but to hear and see what isnt and be able to visualise it and hear it and make it reality is what makes artists different than punters who just go to the movies or buy a CD and immerse themselves in the pure escapist fantasy of it all

It's why I'm into dubstep because there is so much you can fill in with your mind.

The other thing about this movie is the choice of good or bad that the others had was reflected in your choice of good or bad characters/actions. The directors personal choice wasn't rammed down your throat or spoonfed to you. It was about moral relativism but in the bigger picture it didn't make any difference people lived people died it's what they did. hte actions thereof merely determined the numbers. The motive and intent for the choices wasn't based onsome sort of all or nothing purity. All the lines were blurred no one was innocent and no one was guilty yet they all were.

maybe "levels" wasn't the right word

DavidD

can't be stopped
A bunch of my friends - whose opinions I trust, generally - independently came to the conclusion that Art School Confidential was awful. Some of them liked Ghost World.

Seconding Grizzly Man like everyone else.

Seconding Squid and the Whale, which was so uncomfortable! And as a result, funny.

O

Omaar

Talk to her/Habla Con ella seconded.

Would also recommend La Nina Santa/the Holy Girl . Argentinian. Also produced by Almodovar. Really strange use of sound design. Similar feel in some ways to bresson and similar spiritual themes, but stillness is often replaced by a clutteredness that reminded me of Altman.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0300270/