nochexxx

harco pronting
Yeah, why is that? I guess they did it properly. Not seen the Blimp one yet. Any good?

less tech more imagination. i personally think we should promote the idea of animated plastination, that would be the way forward.

i was very drunk when i watched it and thought it was delightful. it's Rob's favourite film, make of that what you will.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
I watched Lost Highway last night. Loved it.

My only problem with it was the use of Marilyn Manson, Rammstein and Henry Rollins.

Rollins didn't feel like a character, it was just Henry Rollins, and the Manson and Rammstein felt out of place. Just made me think of xXx or something.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched a Japanese film called Man Without a Map - based on a similarly titled book - about a detective who is hired to look for a missing person by the man's wife. Film is kinda like a detective thing (obviously) and kinda like Alain Robbe-Grillet's The Erasers (by which I mean a kind of pseudo-detective story) except not so pretentious. Well, maybe it is but that just doesn't come across as much when watching a film as when reading a novel. Anyway quite long and slow at times but the plot or suggestion of one about to materialise at any moment is always thought provoking enough to keep you interested and it looks good too with a mixture of grimy night shots and vivid colours. Some info here

http://www.worldscinema.com/2010/04/hiroshi-teshigahara-moetsukita-chizu.html

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Saw Easier With Practice, but was in a distracted mood so kept on fast-forwarding. Why didn't he go with that really hot chick? Oh, I see....

gumdrops

saw brick with joseph gordon levitt (who i have come to find annoying since inception). really wanted to like it, but i just couldnt fully get used to the whole film noir/detective thriller format being relocated to a high school. it is really cleverly done though so id recommend it if that sort of thing makes you happy, and its played pretty straight, but it didnt seem to have anything going for it character/depth wise, its just cool to watch if you wanted to imagine what the maltese falcon would have been like if it was a teen indie film. more for a 'films youve seen recently and thought were pretty o-k' thread.

hucks

Your Message Here
saw brick with joseph gordon levitt (who i have come to find annoying since inception). really wanted to like it, but i just couldnt fully get used to the whole film noir/detective thriller format being relocated to a high school. it is really cleverly done though so id recommend it if that sort of thing makes you happy, and its played pretty straight, but it didnt seem to have anything going for it character/depth wise, its just cool to watch if you wanted to imagine what the maltese falcon would have been like if it was a teen indie film. more for a 'films youve seen recently and thought were pretty o-k' thread.

I love this film. I totally bought the whole schtick, even the slang - "Where you eatin'?" etc. Obviously it is clever, but I thought there was more to it than just stylings. Though the characters are archetypal, to a point. Anyway it's great, and I would unreservedly recommend it, so it is in the right thread.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's pretty much what I thought. Well, I liked it enough to watch it again and although the second time I guess I wasn't quite so beguiled by the style I still enjoyed it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Was quite well entertained by Ex-Drummer earlier today - a darkly humorous mixture of nihilistic sexual violence, brutality and degradation set in the ugliest parts of Ostend. It's the grimy story of a sadistic and intelligent author who joins a punk group consisting of "handicapped" psychopaths as a diverting amusement. Dubbing the band The Feminists ("the only thing more useless than a handicapped person") and psychologically bullying the band for their peccadillos (such as murdering prostitutes or leaving a young daughter in such squalor that she dies) he has a whale of a time while everyone and everything around him falls apart.
The film is also surreal at times with one character being represented as walking around on the ceiling whenever he is at home and a scene wherein the character called Big Dick demonstrates how he got his name by inviting the main character to take a walk with him inside his wife's "exploded rat".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0812243/usercomments

Also saw L'Argent which is a better film but less fun to describe.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085180/

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
yes, Ex-drummer is decent enough.

anyone seen this? Criterion's Top Ten lists from varying film directors. Monte Hellman's no1 film is The Spirit of the Beehive. looking forward to picking these lists apart!

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, that is a good find, gonna be quite overwhelming to work through all those.
Should say about Ex-Drummer that there is also at times a slight suspicion that it´s all happening in the head (or maybe a book) of the writer - this arises because in at least one scene we see him typing out what happens before it actually happens. The film does mess with chronology quite a lot though so maybe it doesn´t mean anything.

nochexxx

harco pronting
first film selected from Criterion's top list paid off! Bresson's Pickpocket masterfully pressed all my right buttons. sophisticated films concerning hidden subcultures and the idling characters that frequent them is right up my street. are any of his other films worth watching?

i think i may have discovered my new favourite director. going to have to chase down his other work and watch A Man Escaped next.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"First film selected from Criterion's top list paid off! Bresson's Pickpocket masterfully pressed all my right buttons. sophisticated films concerning hidden subcultures and the idling characters that frequent them is right up my street. are any of his other films worth watching?"
Ha - scroll back to the top of the page (or maybe the previous one) and I was talking about L'Argent which I think may have been his next film. I thought it was great anyway. Haven't seen Pickpocket yet but our tastes seem to coincide quite often so I will definitely look out for that.
I'll also try and watch White Dawn this weekend.