Page 86 of 190 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 2840

Thread: Films you've seen recently and would unreservedly recommend:

Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    Yeah, it's great, I like it a lot more than Ran actually (which is Kurosawa doing Lear, if you haven't seen it).

The English title "Throne of Blood" was apparently an attempt to make it sound more racey / more what an English-speaking audience wanted from "the Orient". The Japanese transliterates as something like "Castle of Cobwebs".

Really blown away by 'Noise'. Australians do fucking depressing slice of life stuff so, so well. I don't know how they regularly make stuff that looks .. well, just depressing, something more on screen. Makes me despair for the state of the NZ movie scene, which has been extra-rooted by Peter Jackson's success.

(Rooted = fucked, btw.)

Mind you... 'Boy' is a good thing. It's a bit of a stretch, but reminds me of Von Triers 'The Idiots' in the way it makes you laugh at something for a while and then suddenly brings you down. With good reason, in this case.
    Yeah, what happened to the 90s?

Cabaret. Lives up to all the hype and more. Liza Minelli puts in an astonishing portrayal of someone desperately repressing her real pain, and the way in which that makes her act towards others. As much a psychological film to me as a political one, but works brilliantly on both levels.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Cabaret. Lives up to all the hype and more. Liza Minelli puts in an astonishing portrayal of someone desperately repressing her real pain, and the way in which that makes her act towards others. As much a psychological film to me as a political one, but works brilliantly on both levels.
    I'm always shocked at how dark Cabaret is everytime I watch it. I know there's that kinda Baby Jane/Virgina Woolf darkness often bandied around in gay classic films, but Cabaret is truly...horrific, it's really nightmarish. So well done, it's like the obverse of camp. Mein Camp, actually, now I think of it.

The intention was presumably to portray how, once one starts denying things to oneself, it's incredibly easy to deny obvious truths in the wider scheme of things (in this case, fascism).

Highlighting the link between personal integrity and collective integrity is pretty high ground for a film, but it manages it superbly.

And yes, dark as fuck.

And it does it as a fucking musical! It's kind of unfeasible. You can imagine the pitch for that being laughed out of Hollywood now.

70s Hollywood really was unbelievable. Film after film with amazingly dark premises, all shot on big budgets and looking spectacular. An era that could maybe, practically speaking, never happen again. The sheer thought of Cabaret/The Graduate/Five Easy Pieces/The Conversation being made as huge projects is thrilling.

90s American/Canadian indie film is perhaps another golden era, but obv never reached as many people.

Also Taxi Driver, The Long Goodbye, Chinatown...and those Coppola films weren't bad either...

The Graduate was a 60s film.

Quote Originally Posted by slim jenkins View Post
    Also Taxi Driver, The Long Goodbye, Chinatown...and those Coppola films weren't bad either...

The Graduate was a 60s film.
    Yep, slip of the fingers, '67 business, but a harbinger of the new Hollywood of the 70s, and one of the most astonishing acts of smuggling an arthouse movie completely into the mainstream.

The Long Goodbye is one I've not seen - probably a big oversight.

I'm with you...great decade.
    Altman's film became personal all-time favourite.

Annie Hall
    Stalker

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    70s Hollywood really was unbelievable. Film after film with amazingly dark premises, all shot on big budgets and looking spectacular. An era that could maybe, practically speaking, never happen again. The sheer thought of Cabaret/The Graduate/Five Easy Pieces/The Conversation being made as huge projects is thrilling.
    Yeah, I agree with you and sj on this, been watching/rewatching loads of films from that era lately.
    Chinatown was just amazing.
    Still need to watch Five Easy Pieces, soon.
    All The President's Men is another one I have a big personal soft spot for, though its perhaps not quite in the same league as some of the above.

Arthur 2: On The Rocks is a bit of a lost classic.

here is a little known fact. woody allen films are not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    "here is a little known fact. woody allen films are not funny."
    I've always been underwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    here is a little known fact. woody allen films are not funny.
    Meh. I like what I've seen.