baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That does look good.
By the way Dave, just realised I have seen Pickpocket actually and enjoyed it, though maybe not as much as you. Think I preferred L'Argent, can't remember if you've seen that yet. Got a kind of weird non-acting that in some ways is similar to what Baboon was saying about Fassbinder but in some ways it's totally different.

I must say I really didn't like L'argent, found it incredibly boring. But, in light of our discussion on High Art, it's v interesting to find out what other people see in certain films that I, for one reason or another, just don't "get". In short, explain Bresson to me!

I think with Fassbinder I always found it high camp/stylised acting, a la John Waters (tho obv different). ONly seen about 4 of his films, but assume they're representative.

nochexxx

harco pronting
I must say I really didn't like L'argent, found it incredibly boring. But, in light of our discussion on High Art, it's v interesting to find out what other people see in certain films that I, for one reason or another, just don't "get". In short, explain Bresson to me!

try Pickpocket and A Man Escaped, i think you will like them.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, I wouldn't even begin to explain Bresson cos I've only seen two of his films and one I didn't realise was his at the time. Obvious connection though in that one is based on Tolstoy and one based on Dostoyevsky. I found the absolute anti-acting in L'Argent really gripping - up to a point at least, I have to admit that I think I would have enjoyed the film more if it had been slightly shorter. Maybe quite a bit shorter. The non-acting clinicalness (if that's a word) of the first scenes as well as the gripping but simple story really sucked me into it straight away.
I reckon I've seen about seven or eight Fassbinder films but they're mainly from the same period, I think though that it's very hard to say that any of them are representative because, as I understand it, his different periods were very different. Certainly a late one such as World On A Wire which is a futuristic sci-fi thing with (I'm guessing) a big budget and naturalistic acting is completely different from Love Is Colder Than Death which is a kind of hammy, rigid, frigid fake gangster movie. The first scenes in that are like Dogville or something with the minimal nature of the background.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm absolutely not an expert cos I've only seen the ones out of one box set and World on a Wire but for me my favourites are Beware of a Holy Whore, The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant and World on a Wire - although that last is very different.
StephenK - I've not seen Fear Eats the Soul but I'd really like to cos that's one that everyone seems to rate.

nochexxx

harco pronting
thanks for all the Fassbinder tips. i'll try and track them down.

not having any access to video/film as a youngster, and consequently not bothering with films for most of my adult life, i'm now able ( thanks to the advent of full throttle torrenting) to try and catch up with all that i've been missing - i still haven't seen any Fellini either.

i am feeling somewhat guilty about the amount of films i'm nicking, but after vinyl purchases there's little disposable income left. :(

bandshell

Grand High Witch
I watched MASH again recently. Always loved it. Eliott Gould, in particular, is brilliant.

Look, mother, I want to go to work in one hour. We are the Pro's from Dover and we figure to crack this kid's chest and get out to golf course before it gets dark. So you go find the gas-passer and you have him pre-medicate this patient. Then bring me the latest pictures on him. The ones we saw must be 48 hours old by now. Then call the kitchen and have them rustle us up some lunch. Ham and eggs will be alright. Steak would be even better. And then give me at least ONE nurse who knows how to work in close without getting her tits in my way.

MASH214.jpeg

stephenk

Speaking of acting styles, I watched the Herzog film Heart of Glass the other day, apparently all the actors are hypnotized - they certainly look as though they are - interesting at least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Glass_(film)

this is amazing! i always say it's my favorite herzog, but i never get around to rewatching it because it's kind of intense - the color palette always gets to me, along with that draggy hypnosis.

and i don't know how ali: fear eats the soul stacks up to the ones you've seen but it's very pared-down, simultaneously tender and brutal.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"this is amazing! i always say it's my favorite herzog, but i never get around to rewatching it because it's kind of intense - the color palette always gets to me, along with that draggy hypnosis."
Very strange film; the colours, the way they literally (if the hype is to believed) sleepwalk through it - it's as though it were filmed underwater. Dark, slow, mesmerising and then those weird and spectacular shots of the guy on the cliff at the end staring off the edge of the world. I don't know what it was about but it's a film unlike anything else I've seen and that has to be a recommendation in itself. It was surprisingly watchable as well despite a lack of action - unless you count scenes such as when he dances with the dead man or the demented serving wench stands on the table and starts taking off her clothes.
Anyone seen this? I've got a copy which I can't make work at the moment for some reason but part of me thinks or hopes it might be somewhat similar

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0378661/

"and i don't know how ali: fear eats the soul stacks up to the ones you've seen but it's very pared-down, simultaneously tender and brutal."
I'm sure I'll like it anyway because one thing I should say is that every single film of his I've seen I've enjoyed to some extent, it's just been a question of some being better than others. I wonder if he'd slowed down a bit he might have been capable of some kind of uber-masterpiece but maybe the way he worked was central to his art. Guess we'll never know.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The Bicycle Thieves (or The Bicycle Thief as it's sometimes called, a small change that makes you think about the film differently) really is as good as everyone says it is.
From wikipedia:
It was given an Academy Honorary Award in 1950, and, just four years after its release, was deemed the greatest film of all time by the magazine Sight & Sound's poll of filmmakers and critics in 1952.[2] The film placed sixth as the greatest ever made in Sight & Sound's latest directors' poll, conducted in 2002,[3] and was ranked in top 10 of the BFI list of the 50 films you should see by the age of 14.
If you're anything like me you will cry though.

gumdrops

does everyone have a favourite film? as in one clear favourite?

went for a job today and cos of what the job involves, they asked me to give mine. partly cos of interview nerves, i couldnt think of one particular favourite, and they seemed to get annoyed at me for being 'very diplomatic'. but really, i cant narrow it down that easily! though after further thinking, it might be psycho. or golden balls. or idk, heathers lol.