bandshell

Grand High Witch
My favourite film is Apocalypse Now: Redux. Managed to watch it three times back to back at a friend's house once.

Last edited:

stephenk

Very strange film; the colours, the way they literally (if the hype is to believed) sleepwalk through it - it's as though it were filmed underwater. Dark, slow, mesmerising and then those weird and spectacular shots of the guy on the cliff at the end staring off the edge of the world. I don't know what it was about but it's a film unlike anything else I've seen and that has to be a recommendation in itself. It was surprisingly watchable as well despite a lack of action - unless you count scenes such as when he dances with the dead man or the demented serving wench stands on the table and starts taking off her clothes.
Anyone seen this? I've got a copy which I can't make work at the moment for some reason but part of me thinks or hopes it might be somewhat similar

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0378661/

that definitely looks interesting, but i think part of what makes heart of glass is that the premise itself is so strange and dreamlike. not that a whole town coming back from the dead isn't strange and dreamlike, but it's not quite as...i don't know exactly how to put it...uncanny? it feels like something i'd actually dream. that muddy darkness...i can't see much coming close.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"that definitely looks interesting, but i think part of what makes heart of glass is that the premise itself is so strange and dreamlike. not that a whole town coming back from the dead isn't strange and dreamlike, but it's not quite as...i don't know exactly how to put it...uncanny? it feels like something i'd actually dream. that muddy darkness...i can't see much coming close."
No, I agree, it's the strangeness without something being actually strange that makes it so weird. I mean, I haven't seen Les Revenants yet but I'm guessing it will be a different kind of strangeness. Perhaps I shouldn't speculate more until I've made the actual disc work and watched it though.

"Bicycle Thief was amazing. found my brand - Italo Neorealism, what else then?"
Don't know much about it but Rome, Open City seems to be the big one. Can anyone explain why it's neo - was there an Italian Realism before that? If so, what was it?

grizzleb

Umberto D is a fantastic film too. Need to check out desica's other shit.

I didn't see the post about Hertz Aus Glas before, it's a pretty brilliant film. The weird spasticated movements, the hypnotised looks on everyone's faces. Has a properly mythical character to it. Great film. Herzog's early shit is unfuckwithable. The soundtrack is really good too.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Popol Vuh I think - I was finding the into bit which is looped on the dvd option screen (why do they do that?) really annoying when I was doing the washing up or something before the film started but as so often the case it became a lot more effective in context.

grizzleb

Popol Vuh does most of his soundtracks. Unfortunately the Heart Of Glass cd is actually made of different tracks from what was on the film, and consequently isn't that good.

stephenk

a month or two ago there was a popol vuh - complete herzog soundtracks boxset reissue...heart of glass is on there but i'm not sure if it's any different from the actual, actual soundtrack or the one you heard, grizzleb.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Why the fuck do they mess when they release soundtracks, I bet I could come up with a list of a hundred where they miss out the best track or have different versions or whatever. I mean Assault on Precinct 13 never came out on vinyl at all until a few years back.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
yeah, throughout Aguirre there's thave that solo cello piece that's really beautiful but for some reason not on the soundtrack. :(

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's as though they deliberately intend to annoy...
Anyway, just enjoyed My Winnipeg. A weird (mainly) fake (I assume) psychogeographical paean to Winnipeg that comes across as something in-between London and Wisconsin Death Trip with a homo-erotic not-very-subtext and loads of humour. I liked "the one drama show produced in Winnipeg - Man On A Ledge" which went out every lunchtime for fifty years or so Guy Maddin would have us believe. The plot of each episode revolved around an overly sensitive man who on some perceived slight or piece of bad news climbs out of the window of his office onto a ledge overlooking the main street and threatens to kill himself. He is then talked in safely by his mother over the course of the show... only to repeat his actions the following day.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093842/

In beautiful black and white (mainly) with animations of freezing horses and rampaging buffalo thrown in for good measure.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Why the fuck do they mess when they release soundtracks, I bet I could come up with a list of a hundred where they miss out the best track or have different versions or whatever. I mean Assault on Precinct 13 never came out on vinyl at all until a few years back.

took me a few years before i understood soundtrack lps don't contain sound fx. i've always wanted to have records of just the FX.

grizzleb

It's as though they deliberately intend to annoy...
Anyway, just enjoyed My Winnipeg. A weird (mainly) fake (I assume) psychogeographical paean to Winnipeg that comes across as something in-between London and Wisconsin Death Trip with a homo-erotic not-very-subtext and loads of humour. I liked "the one drama show produced in Winnipeg - Man On A Ledge" which went out every lunchtime for fifty years or so Guy Maddin would have us believe. The plot of each episode revolved around an overly sensitive man who on some perceived slight or piece of bad news climbs out of the window of his office onto a ledge overlooking the main street and threatens to kill himself. He is then talked in safely by his mother over the course of the show... only to repeat his actions the following day.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093842/

In beautiful black and white (mainly) with animations of freezing horses and rampaging buffalo thrown in for good measure.
Yeah, that's a really great film. You should check out Terence Davies 'Of Time and The City' if you haven't already. Can be billed as a companion piece. Pretty similar styles and themes..

IdleRich

IdleRich
Is that the one in Liverpool? I will definitely check it.

"took me a few years before i understood soundtrack lps don't contain sound fx. i've always wanted to have records of just the FX."
Sometimes they have some of them I but not as a general rule. Unless they're made from a library lp I guess but that's not normally the case with a film with a decent budget.

nochexxx

harco pronting
this was pure boss :)

B0002VEUIK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

gumdrops

i really liked rango. nice little animated western. and limitless too, to my surprise. though this was mainly as i was fantasising about what it would be like to have his capabilities. best superhero-not-a-superhero film in ages. it didnt really conclude everything like it should have done (i wasnt sure if he had stopped taking them at the end or what, and there was no explanation of what he would do if he ran out) but its a pretty great, occasionally trippy thriller. reminded me of pi.