Page 91 of 192 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 2872

Thread: Films you've seen recently and would unreservedly recommend:

  1. #1351
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    781

    Default

    Not bad at all from what I've seen, but then, I'm no techno-cine geek so what do I know? OK, the sound isn't perfect but for me that lends the experience more charm...if the adventures of an evil bastard can be charming. I wouldn't let bad reviews re technicalities put you off, after all, they aren't available in any other form.

  2. #1352
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    THE YABBA
    Posts
    5,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slim jenkins View Post
    Not bad at all from what I've seen, but then, I'm no techno-cine geek so what do I know? OK, the sound isn't perfect but for me that lends the experience more charm...if the adventures of an evil bastard can be charming. I wouldn't let bad reviews re technicalities put you off, after all, they aren't available in any other form.
    Great thanks slim, will pick it up. Trailer on youtube looks great!

  3. #1353
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slim jenkins View Post
    Just watched the first of the Coffin Joe trilogy, At Midnight I Will Take Your Soul...interesting in that it avoids the merely trashy B-movie category, but I'm not sure how...perhaps his performance, which is over the top yet somehow, in places, quite convincing. Got the box so I'll be watching the rest at some point.
    somewhere on this board i started a thread on coffin Joe, but yeah i have mad love for the guy. i like the way he shoots himself on film - you get the feeling his character on screen and off are not that different. in one of his later films there's a scene where his Coffin Joe character is being interviewed on a cheesy daytime chatshow, giving the viewer more character info. i thought that was a very interesting thing to commit to film. his later work gets more psychedelic and from the ones i've seen Finis Hominis is my fav. i'd love to be able to find all of his other films, many of which are seemingly hard to track down. if i could figure out a way to burn the films with subtitles i don't mind sharing them.

  4. #1354
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    7,607

    Default

    "his later work gets more psychedelic"
    Awakening of the Beast! It's nuts.
    Not seen Finis Hominis - is it more of this kind of business?

  5. #1355
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nochexxx View Post
    somewhere on this board i started a thread on coffin Joe, but yeah i have mad love for the guy. i like the way he shoots himself on film - you get the feeling his character on screen and off are not that different. in one of his later films there's a scene where his Coffin Joe character is being interviewed on a cheesy daytime chatshow, giving the viewer more character info. i thought that was a very interesting thing to commit to film. his later work gets more psychedelic and from the ones i've seen Finis Hominis is my fav. i'd love to be able to find all of his other films, many of which are seemingly hard to track down. if i could figure out a way to burn the films with subtitles i don't mind sharing them.
    Yeah, I remember it. I've watched some of Finis Hominis...looks great and I love the soundtrack.

    Rich,
    Awakening Of The Beast is also in the box set...looking forward to it.

  6. #1356
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Awakening of the Beast! It's nuts.



    yeah that film is awesome.


    Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Not seen Finis Hominis - is it more of this kind of business?
    according to Wiki it was made the same year as Awakening of the Beast (1970). I get the feeling it could have been produced from budget leftovers. It differs from all of the Coffin Joe films Ive seen because to my mind it reads like a comedy. It also treads a suprisngly linear narative for a CJ flick and feels like raw minimal film making at its best.

  7. #1357
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    N.Z.
    Posts
    692

    Default

    I read this thread and then had a dream I picked up the Coffin Joe box at the local DVD rental, I really gotta check out those films

  8. #1358
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    124

    Default

    There were two recent British films that I quite liked:

    Mum & Dad (2008): somewhat of 21st century version of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre set in the suburbs somewhere in Britain that's so disgusting and disturbing that, at times, I couldn't barely watch. Luckily, there's a very dark sense of comic relief throughout the film. A Well-made and outstandingly intense horror movie.

    Four Lions (2010): A very dark but outrageously funny comedy about a bunch of imbecile wanna-be suicide bombers who get into all kinds of trouble planning their terror attack.

    Oh, and I also watched Gaspar No's new film Enter The Void which I thought was terrible. Stupid plot, obnoxious characters, and never-ending minutes of redundant camera swirling.
    Last edited by lanugo; 20-09-2010 at 01:50 PM.

  9. #1359
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lanugo View Post
    Mum & Dad (2008): somewhat of 21st century version of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre set in the suburbs somewhere in Britain that's so disgusting and disturbing that, at times, I couldn't barely watch. Luckily, there's a very dark sense of comic relief throughout the film. A Well-made and outstandingly intense horror movie.
    Weird you should mention that, as I just watched it yesterday. I'm not usually given to such extreme reactions about a film, but it was pretty unwatchable (and I say this as a horror movie aficionado, or someone who thought he was one). The relentless sadism made it less a film and more an endurance marathon of torture porn, which seemed to serve no other purpose than to revile. Thing about the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the film is utterly beautiful, aesthetically speaking - this had no such redeeming features.

    In other horror movie news, House of the Devil is great, as much for luxuriating in the 16-mm induced sense of the late 70s/early 80s as for the horror part of the film. Anyone who loves Hallowe'en will be smitten, I'd expect.

  10. #1360
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    4,341

    Default

    cyrus (mumblecore-going-mainstream)
    beeswax (mumblecore staying indie)
    the illusionist (dont have much to say about this except its got lovely animation and an enjoyably bittersweet story)

  11. #1361
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    In other horror movie news, House of the Devil is great, as much for luxuriating in the 16-mm induced sense of the late 70s/early 80s as for the horror part of the film. Anyone who loves Hallowe'en will be smitten, I'd expect.
    scene in which she's dancing to The Fixx on her walkman is worth the price of admission (<3)
    that and the opening/closing credits are pitch perfect
    really liked that flick all said

  12. #1362
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Weird you should mention that, as I just watched it yesterday. I'm not usually given to such extreme reactions about a film, but it was pretty unwatchable (and I say this as a horror movie aficionado, or someone who thought he was one). The relentless sadism made it less a film and more an endurance marathon of torture porn, which seemed to serve no other purpose than to revile. Thing about the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the film is utterly beautiful, aesthetically speaking - this had no such redeeming features.

    In other horror movie news, House of the Devil is great, as much for luxuriating in the 16-mm induced sense of the late 70s/early 80s as for the horror part of the film. Anyone who loves Hallowe'en will be smitten, I'd expect.
    I don't think one can really make any kind of justifiable distinction between intrinsically valuable horror movies that have some kind of "redeeming features" and entirely worthless and merely voyeuristic torture porn - to make this distinction has become some kind of self-delusion of an ostensibly high-minded audience to define certain areas of on-screen deviancy that one might be legitimately fascinated by without having to feel like a pervert against other types of movies that are cheap, exploitative and just generally questionable in their intention and execution. Of course, in actuality, it's absolutely impossible to draw a clear line here. While movies of the latter kind most often really are cynical exercises in sadism tailer-made for a mostly male group of consumers, some of them, like Mum & Dad, push the genre to the very limit and, by revolting him, confront the viewer with the question what it is about horror movies that makes him enjoy them in the first place. The film in question, while - as I'm unashamed to admit - also entertaining me, made me question my own fascination with horror movies so profoundly that I've begun to wonder about the exact nature and purpose of the affect manipulation machine that is cinema in general.
    Last edited by lanugo; 21-09-2010 at 02:51 PM.

  13. #1363
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lanugo View Post
    I don't think one can really make any kind of justifiable distinction between intrinsically valuable horror movies that have some kind of "redeeming features" and entirely worthless and merely voyeuristic torture porn - to make this distinction has become some kind of self-delusion of an ostensibly high-minded audience to define certain areas of on-screen deviancy that one might be legitimately fascinated by without having to feel like a pervert against other types of movies that are cheap, exploitative and just generally questionable in their intention and execution. Of course, in actuality, it's absolutely impossible to draw a clear line here. While movies of the latter kind most often really are cynical exercises in sadism tailer-made for a mostly male group of consumers, some of them, like Mum & Dad, push the genre to the very limit and, by revolting him, confront the viewer with the question what it is about horror movies that makes him enjoy them in the first place. The film in question, while - as I'm unashamed to admit - also entertaining me, made me question my own fascination with horror movies so profoundly that I've begun to wonder about the exact nature and purpose of the affect manipulation machine that is cinema in general.
    I would've agreed before yesterday.

    I'm trying to put my finger on what I felt the problem was. I think what I like about horror films is being scared while being slightly distanced from reality. Take away the scares (and that film didn't scare me once) and amplify the reality, and, you're right, some very uncomfortable questions are posed. It felt like watching gratuitous torture, and I can genuinely say I didn't like it, and didn't think it had much of a commentary going on on anything either.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 21-09-2010 at 03:15 PM.

  14. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gumdrops View Post
    the illusionist (dont have much to say about this except its got lovely animation and an enjoyably bittersweet story)
    I so want to see this. Now
    God only know when it will be in cinemas here.

  15. #1365
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by empty mirror View Post
    Hour of the Wolf

    A Bergman horror film (!); most intense pole-fishing scene in cinematic history.
    Love how Bergman's shoots in low light.
    And the way the wind blows seemingly on cue (Tarkovsky manages to summon elemental powers in this way).
    just watched this again
    it was even better totally sober
    strange

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •