slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Anna K touches my heart...in a wish-I-was-with-her-in-that-Parisian-cafe fashion, but Godard, despite being a 'romantic', touches on everything without necessarily caressing the viewer's heart in the way Hollywood does in its cunning, manipulative fashion. I love the playful way he touches upon genres without attempting to fully explore or imitate them. Some of the soundtracks, on the other hand, are incredibly moving, really beautiful. Pure Pop Art cinema and, yes, pretentious as hell!

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Anna K touches my heart...in a wish-I-was-with-her-in-that-Parisian-cafe fashion, but Godard, despite being a 'romantic', touches on everything without necessarily caressing the viewer's heart in the way Hollywood does in its cunning, manipulative fashion. I love the playful way he touches upon genres without attempting to fully explore or imitate them. Some of the soundtracks, on the other hand, are incredibly moving, really beautiful. Pure Pop Art cinema and, yes, pretentious as hell!"
Are you sure that's your heart she touches?
I think that there are other ways for a film maker to touch your heart except in a Hollywood way aren't there? Though to be honest that's not really what I meant, I meant that I just don't feel the same affection for his films that I do for, say, Tarkovsky or Antonioni.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Are you sure that's your heart she touches?
I think that there are other ways for a film maker to touch your heart except in a Hollywood way aren't there? Though to be honest that's not really what I meant, I meant that I just don't feel the same affection for his films that I do for, say, Tarkovsky or Antonioni.

Yes!
Of course there are many ways. If I had to choose between the two you mention and JLG I'd opt for the latter.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Of course there are many ways. If I had to choose between the two you mention and JLG I'd opt for the latter."
I think that the problem with being cutting edge or original is that divorced from context you've just got a load of new ideas that other people have since copied. Have you seen La Bonheur (mentioned above)? I think that's got a lot of the pop-art/new wave touches that you get in a Godard film but subtly used in service of a greater goal and because of that, for my money, it stands up a lot better than many of his.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yuri Norstein, perhaps, if you haven't seen him. Soviet animation, melancholic of course.

Hedgehog in the Fog, a short masterpiece:

Tale of Tales, a more abstract, and longer film:

Hedgehog in the Fog is lovely, thank you! Reminds me of the time I used the only phrase I know in Russian - 'strazhny yoje', roughly trannsliterated - to win over a summer school class of Russian kids. Worked an' all!

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
I think that the problem with being cutting edge or original is that divorced from context you've just got a load of new ideas that other people have since copied. Have you seen La Bonheur (mentioned above)? I think that's got a lot of the pop-art/new wave touches that you get in a Godard film but subtly used in service of a greater goal and because of that, for my money, it stands up a lot better than many of his.

I've not seen the film, but just had a look on YouTube (it's on there, complete). One brief clip of the couple in bed seems to replicate a scene in Godard's Une Femme Mariee (made a year earlier), more or less. I'm interested, though, especially since you mention 'nastiness'. The opening ten minutes are so idyllic that something interesting has to happen. Beautiful-looking, anyway. I'm a great fan of her husband's work.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Never seen The Umbrellas of Cherbourg for some reason.
Yeah, La Bonheur is idyllic to the point of being saccharine... at first. It's a very beautiful film though throughout, I think you will like it. But I've been wrong before.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Never seen The Umbrellas of Cherbourg for some reason.
Yeah, La Bonheur is idyllic to the point of being saccharine... at first. It's a very beautiful film though throughout, I think you will like it. But I've been wrong before.

Go stand in the corner......;)

La Bonheur does look stunning.

you

Hedgehod in the Fog is superb.

also, hi everyone!
*goes back to lurking*

cosign - up on some magical russian tip right there..... I remember Johnny Vaughn ( ! ) of all people recommending this on one of those list shows ages ago.

I watched Hush, a british horror the other day on Film 4 - first half is quality- second half succumbs to cliche though.

Also saw Tell No One - decent euro thriller.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Seconded, I love that film. Lola, Bay of Angels too. I also like Model Shop, although it seems to divide fans.

Have to wathc Lola, my friend tells me it's incredible. Baie des Anges is amazing too, agreed - Jeanne Moreau in that film just personifies glamour. Would marry her in a second.

Gregor XIII

I saw Bressons Mouchette and Antonionis L'Eclisse last weekend. Mouchette because a friend told me (SPOILER) it had a scene quite similar, but different, from the scenes in Bonheur and Sansho, that I wrote a bit about. And it does. It's really interesting how the same motif can be played out so differently. It's also quite interesting to compare Arsene with Francois in Bonheur.

I don't really know what to say about L'Eclisse. Liked the ending. Basically liked everything but the plot, I think.

I also watched some Svankmayer yesterday on youtube. More really good Eastern European Animation. Will have to check out some other of the links earlier in this thread.

Gregor XIII

Would love to hear some insides on L'Eclisse. I kinda liked it, but I didn't understand it at all. And Ladislas Starevich also sounds really interesting.

Shadows... is fantastic, but Color of Pomegranates is even better. I really need to find his later films also.

But this weekend, I'll have to rewatch von Triers Europa closely, as I have to do a presentation on it for my filmclass on World War II on monday. It seemed like a really good idea last monday, but wow, that backfired quite spectacularly... It's a great film, though.

slowtrain

Would love to hear some insides on L'Eclisse. I kinda liked it, but I didn't understand it at all. And Ladislas Starevich also sounds really interesting.

Shadows... is fantastic, but Color of Pomegranates is even better. I really need to find his later films also.

But this weekend, I'll have to rewatch von Triers Europa closely, as I have to do a presentation on it for my filmclass on World War II on monday. It seemed like a really good idea last monday, but wow, that backfired quite spectacularly... It's a great film, though.

Haha, I remember seeing Europa circe age 13/14 - don't remember much but a train and a guy doing a silly run in front of a clock... (SHould rewatch)