craner

Beast of Burden
I’m watching Rocky 3. Some film! As kitsch as Staying Alive. Mr Tea is terrifying in this!

I’ve seen all the RockyÂ’s before but weirdly not this one.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
did someone see climax? it's kinda what you would expect from gaspar noé but the best thing about it is the dancing scene in the beginning i think. don't know for how long it runs, 15, 20 minutes maybe? afterwards i felt like that should be the entire movie.

IdleRich

IdleRich
i saw london by patrick keiller this weekend and loved it, i wonder why i never heard of it before actually? does anyone know of any similar movies? movies with long shots and fancy poetic narrations, preferably touching on the soul of the city?
The sequels, Robinson in Space and Robinson in Ruins would be the obvious place to start. Don't think I've seen the latter but Space is pretty good though about the UK as a whole rather than a city. Once I went to some showing of his early films and they were similar as well iirc. Also Chris Marker's Sans Soleil to which London is heavily indebted (to say the least). Maybe some Chris Petit stuff - there is one in particular I saw him introduce and do a talk on but I can't remember the name. It was very like London anyhow. Sorry can't be more help.

luka

last film i saw was one idlerich recommeneded called cloud atlas by the makers of the matrix.
nowhere near as good as the matrix but pretty entertaining i thought

IdleRich

IdleRich
I wouldn't quite say I recommended it... rather I tried to describe it fairly, flaws and all but yeah I did say I had a bit of a soft spot for how mad its ambition was. Definitely not unreservedly is what I'm saying.

luka

im watching 'avatar' it's really good although weirdly it reminds me a lot of a film so bad i had to walk out about a third of the way though, terrence maliks 'new world'

grave

The sequels, Robinson in Space and Robinson in Ruins would be the obvious place to start. Don't think I've seen the latter but Space is pretty good though about the UK as a whole rather than a city. Once I went to some showing of his early films and they were similar as well iirc. Also Chris Marker's Sans Soleil to which London is heavily indebted (to say the least). Maybe some Chris Petit stuff - there is one in particular I saw him introduce and do a talk on but I can't remember the name. It was very like London anyhow. Sorry can't be more help.

That sounds like London Orbital, the one he did with Iain Sinclair.

luka

how is that perverse? there are a lot of computer games which look like it but what else presents that vision on the cinema screen? i would say it's a pretty important film. i can't see any way to make a counter-argument in good faith.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
how is that perverse? there are a lot of computer games which look like it but what else presents that vision on the cinema screen? i would say it's a pretty important film. i can't see any way to make a counter-argument in good faith.

i went to see it with the flu so i wasn't primed to like it but i thought the dialogue was terrible, the characters terrible, etc...

HOWEVER, I am interested in your take on it because I'm sure you are seeing something i'm not.

it only occurs to me now how it resembles the matrix and i hadn't really considered that element of the movie, i thought it was more a sort of boneheaded environmental cartoon

luka

it's a feelgood rewriting of the encounter between western imperialism and isolated indigenous populations, primarily native american. but mostly it's enjoyable/notabe on the visual level. all that neon flora for instance.

luka

it's more about video game style 'world building' than it is about acting or narrative or any of that boring stuff.

droid

Ive seen a few good things recently.

Mandy. Obviously got a lot of attention, probably justified. The first half is slightly unsettling & dreamlike - Lynch meets Jordowsky, absolutely beautiful melding of visuals and audio, rivalling Bladerunner in that respect. The second half is something else entirely. It has been hailed as an arthouse revenge flick, but what was missed in a lot of the reviews is the sheer nastiness... sustained and devastating emotional and physical suffering, excessive gore and extreme violence - somewhere between I spit on your grave, TCM, Friday 13th 2, Evil dead (1), Fury Road & Hostel. Certainly worth checking out, but not for the faint hearted.

Black 47. Dunno how much traction this got outside of Ireland but every English person should watch it. Perhaps the only thing Ive ever seen that goes anyway to portraying the reality of the famine. The politics is laid on fairly thickly and the narrative skeleton is a bit flimsy, but generally good performances and decent cast. The depiction of context - the kangaroo courts, the death and disease, the feckless and callous landlords, the 'tumbling' of house roofs to evict tenants, the exporting of grain - all true and supported by documentation. Ive read the history, walked some of those roads in the west and imagined those exact scenes.