firefinga

I actually don't rate Blade Runner as highly as I probably should. I love the opening helicopter shot of the city, from there on its downhill as far as I'm concerned.

Blade Runner is great. Not so much as a sci fi flick, bc at being sci fi it sucks a little. But it's pretty much the ultimate (early) 1980s movie in terms of style/aesthetics/clothing/make-up and especially music-wise. The synths. The fear of Japanese overtaking of the US economy. Very early 1980s.

droid

Manchester by the sea. Well acted, some really stark moments. Oscar worthy performance from Casey Affleck

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I watched 'Sing Street' last week. I dunno if I can unreservedly recommend something so cheesy, but it's a fun little film. the best aspect of which is the way it captures the excitement of becoming infatuated with music as a teenager and of writing songs/jamming with your mates. It's very funny too.

rubberdingyrapids

america america
elia kazan film ive never seen.
just incredible.
so true, with some of the most affecting, emotionally authentic acting of any hollywood film ive ever seen.
particularly emotive perhaps if you are a migrant or your family are, but either way, i dont know how you could watch this and not be moved.
i wish there was a sequel to it.
shame its not better known or more seen. its sort of part classical hollywood, part new hollywood.

also, manila in claws of light.
70s philipino film. very much a 70s movie in how its just so tough, and un sentimental, but its devastating. i wanted to just go home after it.

both were part of the scorcese curates season at the bfi. say what you want about his own films, but the man has taste.

bruno

est malade
bloodsport. great soundtrack, lots of fighting, views of hong kong, uplifting story and is the source of that van damme gif.

bruno

est malade
hard boiled. psycho hk triad boss' plans foiled by undercover/rogue cop team. it has everything: unlimited bad guys, explosions, cruelty, humour, bullets, yachts, motorcyles, babies, gunned down patients, western-style showdowns, a principled killer, etc. all this violence was for a good cause.

luka

Watched trainspotting 2, despite seeming dated by using the same tricks as the original (and Ally Mcbeal) did, and having a terrible soundtrack, Igloo apart, I liked it. As an affectionate indictment of a generation and as a moving reflection on ageing and time as a one way street, it works.
I was won over by the scene in the Protestant club. It was such good fun I dropped my defences after that.

Impossible, if you watched the first one when it was released, not to reflect on 20 wasted years, on an individual, a political, a cultural and a societal level. Hard not to feel sad about our pointless wastrel generation sloping towards middle age and death. Twenty years of non-achievement, wasted lives, wasted opportunities, wretched world that only gets worse, studded with small tragedies, acts of negligence, sins of omission, an averting of the eyes, an inability to act, comfort blanket of addiction pulled over the eyes.

An impotent generation suddenly crow footed, lined, creased, potbellied, halfway to death, dreams deferred indefinitely, mired in cynicism, hobbled by romanticism, dancing alone to a record you liked 20 years ago, parents dead perhaps, or unforgiven, the relationship stunted, stuck in amber, shot through with adolescent rage. Unable to go back, unable to go on, with neither the beauty and vigour of youth nor the attainments of age, seeing death in the dark corners, sick with guilt, haunted by the ghosts of our former selves.

And what memories would you hold onto? A few good nights on the lash with the boys? Nights when the drugs really worked and you got a glimpse of something better, but every time you open your eyes you’re right back where you started, just a little older and a little sadder.

luka

came home in a very sentimental state wrote the body of that in a seeries of texts to three mates who, embarssed, ignored it completely lol so i put it here too

luka

im plastering over a lot of cracks, it is corny and cackhanded and its impossible to overstate how terrible the music is, but i still thought it worked.

muser

I just finished watching the one-off I Claudius series, brilliant. Made me come to the realization that people don't really need to be that good at acting in TV anymore, star trek too

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Great review Luke, very poignant. I wanted to see the film anyway but now I really really want to see it. Gonna have to watch the first one again to refresh my memory of it.

rubberdingyrapids

Great review Luke, very poignant. I wanted to see the film anyway but now I really really want to see it. Gonna have to watch the first one again to refresh my memory of it.

yeah im def going to go and see it now too.
was on the fence, esp after seeing the prodigy on the soundtrack (i suppose thats more to do with needing to keep the branding consistent), but now im going to see it. sounds suitably, poignantly dissappointing. obv ive not seen it yet but from seeing some reviews, i reckon a 3rd one would be better than this one.

bruno

est malade
Watched trainspotting 2, despite seeming dated by using the same tricks as the original (and Ally Mcbeal) did, and having a terrible soundtrack, Igloo apart, I liked it. As an affectionate indictment of a generation and as a moving reflection on ageing and time as a one way street, it works.
I was won over by the scene in the Protestant club. It was such good fun I dropped my defences after that.

Impossible, if you watched the first one when it was released, not to reflect on 20 wasted years, on an individual, a political, a cultural and a societal level. Hard not to feel sad about our pointless wastrel generation sloping towards middle age and death. Twenty years of non-achievement, wasted lives, wasted opportunities, wretched world that only gets worse, studded with small tragedies, acts of negligence, sins of omission, an averting of the eyes, an inability to act, comfort blanket of addiction pulled over the eyes.

An impotent generation suddenly crow footed, lined, creased, potbellied, halfway to death, dreams deferred indefinitely, mired in cynicism, hobbled by romanticism, dancing alone to a record you liked 20 years ago, parents dead perhaps, or unforgiven, the relationship stunted, stuck in amber, shot through with adolescent rage. Unable to go back, unable to go on, with neither the beauty and vigour of youth nor the attainments of age, seeing death in the dark corners, sick with guilt, haunted by the ghosts of our former selves.

And what memories would you hold onto? A few good nights on the lash with the boys? Nights when the drugs really worked and you got a glimpse of something better, but every time you open your eyes you’re right back where you started, just a little older and a little sadder.

i would avoid the next installment!