yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
going criss cross through shinya tsukamoto's oeuvre. have already seen vital (sublime) and tetsuo the bullet man (great). last one i saw was snake of june and i found it absolutely gorgeous. story set in a japanese city without a name where it endlessly rains. a woman gets blackmailed by some perverse voyeur and gets confronted with her own unhappiness regarding her marriage, there's some other theme's as well but it's really not important. it's the atmosphere that tsukamoto creates. the blue filter is just perfect, the shadows of raindrops gliding over the window and the streams of water gushing down the streets. i am going to finish the oeuvre with tsukamoto's debut movie and am both thrilled as afraid for that moment! one of my favourite directors!

stephenk

melancholia is flawed, but strangely, unexpectedly brilliant. i kept thinking about it after it ended. in fact i still do. though i dont think about the characters as such, i just keep remembering/'feeling' the atmosphere.

yeah! i normally don't like von trier much at all but this one was so dreamy and heavy.

zhao

there are no accidents
they showed Battle of Algiers here in Berlin last night and i remembered how amazing it is. also reminded of another great one from the 60s: I Am Cuba. which lead me to thinking:

how come there have not been anything in recent decade or 2 even remotely comparable to these, in terms of epic political thrillers rooted in specific situations yet global in theme and scale? seems like all the big directors would rather gaze at their own navel rather than tackle some of the fucking INTENSE real shit that is happening around the world, which would make superb subjects for big films.

e/y

I enjoyed The Skin I Live In. then again, I seem to like pretty much anything that Almodovar makes.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think that Soy Cuba is an amazing film but politically it's heavy-handed and naive - there must have been things since then that were more subtle and political. Let me think. I wouldn't really have compared it especially to Battle of Algiers although I guess I can see why you made the link.
(that's a reply to Zhao obviously).

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thanks for reminding me of The Last Broadcast. I saw that when it first came out and loved it but I just clicked on the link now and couldn't help but watch the whole thing again. It's a sinister, weird and downright brilliant film which definitely still stands up.

Gregor XIII

I saw Last Year at Marienbad for the first time and loved it. I really found it hilarious. Nut sure it is the intended effect, but I liked it.

I saw on wikipedia, that it wasn't allowed to compete at Cannes, because Resnais had signed a petition against the war in Algeria. Perhaps that's part of the reason why we don't see these really intense political films anymore. Back then, it was controversial, and you had to be fully convicted and sincere and believe in their importance to make them. Today, every studio has at least one 'political' film as award-bait each winter. So instead of Battle of Algiers we get The Kings Speech. Or something.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Thanks for reminding me of The Last Broadcast. I saw that when it first came out and loved it but I just clicked on the link now and couldn't help but watch the whole thing again. It's a sinister, weird and downright brilliant film which definitely still stands up.

it's really great! am i right in saying it's a cult film without a cult following? :(
i really hope that's not true, as it seemed way more that just a goofy mockumentary horror flick.

incidentally i forgot to mention The Duel (posted upthread) was Spielberg's directorial debut.

there are so many obscure gems uploaded to youtube and google video (sometimes in their entirety), which makes for a really different viewing experience. i've been watching films on headphones, which really amps up the intensity. although pretty trite The Hitcher was another film i enjoyed.

zhao

there are no accidents
just saw The Lincoln Lawyer and really enjoyed it all the way through. a kind of updated fast paced noirish nail biter, clever and satisfying story telling.

Bangpuss

Two-Lane Black Top is an eerie road movie starring James Taylor and Dennis Wilson, with hardly any diaogue or music. I really enjoyed the all-American, pop-art imagery, but was mainly drawn to it by its writer -- Rudolph Wurlitzer, who wrote a fantastic western novel called Drop Edge of Yonder three years ago. It's full of the same existential half-life masquerading as humanity.

Anyone have a copy of his sixties novel, Nog? Would love to read it. Meant to be a surreal, Pynchonesque type thing.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Dreams of a life - Joyce Vincent

One of the films of the year, both the project of mapping an individual and the film realisation are exceptional.

slowtrain

OK i am very gdrunk right now, but I will empahsissde that I watcched the film [rec] with headphones on and i was thnking that it was a decent but very standrad horror movie until SPOLIOER the last ten minutes, when they get in the penthouse, amd then jesus I got freaked, seriously got freaked, threw the headphones on the floor and shaked and everythingl, Scary chit.

rubberdingyrapids

had time over xmas to gorge on dvds. the fourth man and ketje tippel were both brilliant. verhoeven seems kinda underrated actually. i saw salon kitty too which im still not quite sure about :p