luka

What they do well is keep the running time to about 90 minutes which is the ideal. 2 hours is a drag, 3 is a gross imposition

IdleRich

IdleRich
I like films to be long if they're good. Pay ten euros or whatever I want my money's worth. Plus after all these sixty hour long series the normal one and a half hours seems too short to properly develop characters or whatever. Probably not really an issue in Resident Evil admittedly.

CrowleyHead

I watched all the resident evil films in a couple of nights after seeing crowleyhead say on here they were the best films of the last 20 years.

How you gonna hyperbole me, resident hyperbolist?

They are quite good films though when you submit yourself to PWSA's vision.

CrowleyHead

I figured that given the way you described Avatar you'd recognize how that reflects in what PWSA did there and has done since.

He gets that idea of making cinema where the visual language of mapping and creation sets is based around the architecture you find in computer/video games.

tumblr_ov71y4Pwwe1rgbk02o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_osaggpmUib1tfy8cqo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_osaggpmUib1tfy8cqo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0sjyil2SI1r6ms39o8_1280.png

tumblr_o0ytdlOgIQ1utqnczo7_r1_1280.png

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
did you ever see avalon crowley? it is about being in a computer game. what i like about the effects is that sometimes it feels like you're inside a diorama*. with people, objects and explosions being both 2d and 3d.

copy-of-vlcsnap-610156.png

vlcsnap-619227.png

*actually i mean the effect you create when putting multiple panels at different depths inside a shoebox, what is the word for that?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Favourite. Believe the hype. Funny, sad, sharp, great script, great acting. Olivia Coleman is going from strength to strength.

I really liked the little modern (or postmodern) anachronisms - something is described as smelling "like a 96-year-old French whore's va-juju", a dancing couple end up vogueing to a baroque chamber orchestra - which are funny but never go so far as to be jarring or to come across as overly 'ooh aren't we clever'. And it goes straight from that to scenes that are downright disturbing.

See it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
"I made a conscious decision because of Stevie Wonder not to be superstitious."

That's actually one of the few clangers they come out with that I think could be viewed charitably

I mean, why not learn to be suspicious of superstition from Stevie Wonder?

luka

I watched the dilapidated dwelling. I liked it a lot. Slwsys useful to be reminded that this island is a pirate ship.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I love let's say 1/3 - 1/2 of Interstellar so much that I've watched it six or seven times, despite hating the rest of it. I suppose I love to hate the bits I hate.

What I love:

- the sense of space as a terrifying existential maw
- the (romantic sense) sublime ocean planet

actually it's the Sublime I love in it, I think

despite its 'message' about love conquering all space and time what really excites me about it is that it seems to actually show how insignificant love is

version

I dunno where to post this as I haven't actually seen the film, but this is one of the best trailers I've ever seen.