bandshell

Grand High Witch
I watched The Ladykillers (the original, of course), for the first time in years. Wonderful film.

Last edited:

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
newbarbarians.jpg

finally rewatched this after an empty fifteen (odd) years of abstinence (from watching it)
after years of fruitless googling of "post-apocalyptic + archer" and "dystopia + homoerotic battle cars" i found it again

the best soundtrack ever by dude from goblin/crazy gang - ominous italo disco - imagine moroder producing a can album and you are getting warm

of course fred williamson is in this and other dudes i sorta half recognize

in short, ridiculous costumes, in your face homoeroticism (that escaped me as a 12-year-old; how'd i miss all that buggering?), and tons of exploding heads

haven't been this excited by a flick in a minute
time for a tarantino remake? (this was directed by the guy who did the O.G. Inglorious Bastards)

(forgot to mention this is basically the mad max franchise with a heavy dose of a fistful of dollars)

grizzleb

You had me sold at the mention of Claudio Simonetti. The guy's an absolute don. Is it avaliable for torrent?

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
You had me sold at the mention of Claudio Simonetti. The guy's an absolute don. Is it avaliable for torrent?
^ yeah i've come across a few torrents on my search for the soundtrack; can't vouch for any though
unfortunately the search for the soundtrack has yielded only dead links

i got my disc off netflix
it is dead cheap on amazon (last i checked)
dunno if it's available in europe (i suspect it is)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"the best soundtrack ever by dude from goblin/crazy gang - ominous italo disco - imagine moroder producing a can album and you are getting warm"
Now that does sound good - guy on IMDB seems to rate it as well

Claudio Simonetti's completely warped musical score: I have simply no idea on how he did it, but he came up with his most spaced-out compositions I've ever heard from the man. It sounds like he might have dropped some extremely nasty LSD and then went nuts on his Korg Analog Sequencer. I tell you: this is a milestone in Soundtrack History. Echo's of Pierre Henry's pioneers-work in electronic music can be heard in Simonetti's score. As well as sounds and bleeps still used by todays electro-acts like Tosca and Autechre (to name only two totally unrelated ones of the so many). His score is motivationally groovy, pulsatingly warped, hauntingly electronic, strangely rocking and almost unbearably dripping with 80's cheese. And will you just please listen to the many completely unworldly sound-effects? Simply every machine or electronic device (from the cars over the guns to broadcasting equipment) makes completely undefinable noises. I will go on a frantic quest in search for this soundtrack on CD. Simply must have it!
So... inevitable question, did it come out on vinyl?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I can't put this film in either thread really, but I saw Gainsbourg yesterday.

Technically it was a complete fuck-up, I thought - there was little to no cohesive narrative (probematic in a biopic), and the director didn't even seem to have any particular fondness for Gainsbourg's music.

On the other hand, it made absolutely no concessions to people not familiar with the man's life (ie everyone outside France except rabid fans), which I admired, there were some really funny cameos, and the music...oh, the music. 'Bonnie and Clyde' might almost be the best song ever written. Or maybe that's 'Je T'aime'.

I read this morning that the (unbelievably pretty) actress who played Jane Birkin committed suicide before the film came out. Incredibly sad.

Last edited:

grizzleb

Watched a couple of good movies over the weekend. Watched 'Import Export' on sat, a grim, dark and morose look at the fate of economic migrants in eastern europe. Washed out and bleak cinematography sets off the vibe of the film, which is at times sad, comical, touching and bizzare. Highly recommend this film, though maybe not one to watch with your mum.

Also re-watched 'There Will Be Blood', thought it was as good as the first time I saw it. DDL is obviously great, as is the son and the guy who plays eli. The soundtrack by the guy from radiohead is fucking sweet as well. Penderecki styles. Love that intensity that is so tangible from this film. A future classic I expect/hope.

BareBones

wheezy
is it too uncool to say toy story 3? because i saw it yesterday and thought it was fantastic.

3D at the imax hurts my eyes after a while though.

dogamusic

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Watched this after finishing the book. A good adaptation, and as with many book to film transistions there is plenty left out in order to fit a decent running time. It works though, pretty much in the same way they cut down fellow swedish novel Let The Right One In. The meat of the story is intact but inevitably some great characters miss out on screen time.

It's not mind blowing and I am interested to see David Fincher take on the story in what will be his adaptation rather than a remake of this film.

If you like a slow burning crime thriller with some memorable characters I would check it out.

I'm new by the way. Hi!

rubberdingyrapids

i loved gainsbourg. quite odd for a film like this cos it goes very rarely out of his personal life but i enjoyed the fantasy/puppet/animation element a lot. i thought the whole thing was wonderful actually, though it got a bit cliche when it came time for him to begin his inevitable downfall. i didnt fancy the english actress who died as much as the other person that posted about it here but the girl he ended up having a 3rd child with was super hot.

i also liked leaving. though it had a few too many fades which made it seem like they were taking the easy route in jumping from one point in time to another too often. could have been a bit more fluid. kirsten scott thomas was very good in it, though i would have liked to have found out a bit more about the husband cos he ended up being a bit of a panto husband villain.

also saw beeswax. not really that up on all the mumblecore stuff, but id like to see more. good proper *real* indie film, compared to say something like please give. which i think would have been better if it had been made with the same sort of budget/aesthetic as beeswax.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Human Centipede! Very funny, good job that we were literally the only people in the cinema 'cause at time we were laughing a lot. The villain is possibly the most terrifying looking man I've ever saw, I'm glad he was cast in thiis but I can't really see him in any other role.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I saw Fellini's La Strada over the weekend after watching 8 1/2 and being really impressed. I haven't seen a lot of movies, but these two are two of the best I have seen. Truly great stuff.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
I watched Angel Heart, Leon and The Crow yesterday. All three were great. I'd definitely recommend Angel Heart and Leon to anyone who hasn't seen them. Angel Heart is probably Mickey Rourke's best.

nochexxx

harco pronting
Human Centipede! Very funny, good job that we were literally the only people in the cinema 'cause at time we were laughing a lot. The villain is possibly the most terrifying looking man I've ever saw, I'm glad he was cast in thiis but I can't really see him in any other role.

i'm going to have to watch this, preferably after the pub!