firefinga

"Never Let Go" 1960

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054115/

That was quite a surprise, I got the DVD of this cheaply a few years ago, never googled any info on it just bought it bc it had Sellers in it and the score was done by John Barry. Oh boy, this was actually a very good movie in the end! totally surprised by Peter Sellers, who plays a vionet criminal car dealer in it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Recently watched The Searchers and Another Year. Both excellent in their own way, but Another Year is the one I can see revisiting most often.

luka

i recently watched wonder woman, thor: dark world, guardians of the galaxy 2, all of which i wholeheartedly reccommend and all of which made me laugh and cry in equal measure throughout, and captain america civil war which was less good.

luka

just telling it like it is man. also thor ends in greenwich remember.
im hoping to go and see bladerunner tonight

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Never got that far in thor dark world and I tried a few times lol The human characters did my head in (Natalie Portmanteau and her quirky mate)

Civil War was what Avengers 2 should have been.

Fave Marvels:

Civil War (the other Captain Americas are good too)
Avengers 1
Iron Man 1

That's it really. I have high hopes for Thor 3 cos Hunt for Wilderpeople man is doing it. Haven't seen Spiderman yet.

luka

civil war was a bit long and boring to me thats all. like avengers 2 but not as good (without the insane special effects) i liked dr strange did you watch that one?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Saw it, didn't like it so much. The 'acid trip' bit was pretty mindblowing on the 3D cinema screen (plus I was stoned, natch). I dunno, I thought a lot of the jokes fell flat, i was quite disappointed.

Their formula is wearing a bit thin at this point, unfortunately, particularly the origin stories. (Dr Strange was essentially Iron Man.)

Saying that, I think the dialogue, performances and action are often so good that the formulaic nature of the 'MCU' can be excused.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
no one else watched it then?

Planning to this week. I really want to like it, but maybe it's best to go with the expectation of just enjoying on a purely visual level - which would be a shame, as the original is so much more than that. But I'll report back with my findings, anyway.

Watched the legendary Zardoz a couple of weeks ago, I should add. Dunno about 'unreservedly recommend' but it's a huge heap of high camp fun and I loved the far-out-maaan '70s SFX, outrageous costumes and flimsy sets. Most of the male characters look like Eric Idle in Life of Brian. Charlotte Rampling effortlessly smoking as Consuella. Sean Connery swaggering like nobody's business. Perhaps a far-seeing prophecy in the Eternals' willing enslavement to an omniscient computer system?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't even like the old Bladerunner that much, aside from the visuals. So if the visuals in the new one are good it will be right up there.

luka

zardoz is one of the few films ive watched multiple times. i think its uncriticisable. i like point blank a lot too.

CrowleyHead

no one else watched it then?

Saw it Saturday. Not huge into the former b/c its before my time and all and I liked it OK. Jared Leto is fucking horrid in it, the characters feel slighter with somehow more definition than ones from the original which isn't important for a movie like this but... Cool tricks. Hans Zimmer's score is vile though and there's this one specific musical cue that's the most tasteless thing I could think of.

I actually realized I've seen more movies in the past 2 months than I've done in the last two years, and anyway here's a few names that I've either rewatched that's been too long or were fresh wonders to fit the thread title concept:

Andromedia (1998)
Robot Carnival (1987)
Cat People (1942)
Cremaster 2 (1999)
The Hunger (1983)
Johnny 316/Hollywood Salome (1998)