Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Can you explain why you thought it was dumb as fuck? I went back and found your initial response which was along those lines but you never really went into it. Did you think the plot didn't make sense, or that it was just facile?

What I felt last night watching it was that it presents a very thin version of human life - which is natural, arguably, given that there's barely any really human characters in it. But that is a problem when the film is supposed to be about being (or not being) human. There are obviously humans around, hence Gosling being called a 'fucking skinjob' or whatever it is, but we don't really encounter any of them save for his commanding officer and that dude from 'Captain Phillips'. It makes the world look so miserable that you wonder what's so important about keeping it going for anyone. As you say, it's almost entirely joyless.

Actually come to think of it, the vision of the future in BR2049 is not a little reminiscent of WALL-E, right down to the hologrammatic projections of cultural vitality long past.

droid

Three Billboards - emotionally manipulative shit Coen Bros parody.
I Tonya - entertaining but disposable Napoleon Dynamite pastiche.

Also watched the ritual again with a non horror fan and was impressed by how much they shit themselves.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Yesterday, it being a tundra out there, I decided to hide out for a few hours in the Curzon soho to watch 'Shape of Water'

Problem 1: ticket was 16 quid - but fine
Problem 2: the screen (screen 3) was tiny... but fine
Problem 3: noticed some people chatting during trailers - not a problem, but worried at once that they will continue when the film starts
Problem 4: subtitles appear IN ENGLISH during trailer for Wes Anderson's dog movie - I don't notice this on any adverts or anything though so I assume it's an anomaly
Problem 5: people still talking as production credits begin for shape of water - i begin inwardly fuming and fantasising about telling them to shut the fuck up
Problem 6: subtitles IN ENGLISH appear as film begins

In summary - I went into a heard of hearing screening by mistake and was inwardly plotting to tell some deaf people to shut the fuck up

Happy end: got a ticket in exchange and i'll probably go see it another day

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
"The Work". The best thing I've seen in aeons. How can fiction beat real-life group therapy?

"It's a Disaster" is still great, though I've probably said it before here. What is funnier or more full of pathos than finding yourself at a couples brunch when the end of the world happens?

And yes, Noah is one of the worst films I ever saw. How is it possible to make a biblical epic dull?

Last edited:

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Alex Garland's 'Annihilation' is on Netflix and is well worth a watch. Has its flaws but full of interesting, disturbing and haunting ideas and images.

Also, for luka, there's a psychedelic sequence which I reckon might somewhat replicate what people see on DMT.

luka

we're giving netflix a trial month and after having watched both seasons of stranger things havent seen a single other thing that looked worth watching so i'll definielty give that i try.
suprised how cheap and shit netflix is. it's like the entertainment menu on a long haul flight ten years ago. i thought it was supposed to be the future. such a letdown.

luka

i didnt realise it was an adaptation of those vandermeer books. i read those a few years back. there was some discussion on here about them. they didnt really have a plot.

droid

i didnt realise it was an adaptation of those vandermeer books. i read those a few years back. there was some discussion on here about them. they didnt really have a plot.

What the hell are you doing reading sci-fi?!?

luka

What the hell are you doing reading sci-fi?!?

the only novels ive ever read are sci-fi novels. we talked about the vandermeer books here. me and you. together. i was snooty about the prose and the plotting. you thought the atmospherics (and possibly the concepts) made up for it. in any case the books are much better than the terrible netflix adaptation.

the books arent big on characterisation (i think characterisation is overrated anyway) but in the netflix show they are purely ciphers. not even 2 dimensioanl.

Last edited:

luka

last night in the slough of despond i started watching altered carbon. it's moronic but i dont mind that. i like its shameless approach to 'influence.' it very carefully avoids having a single original idea and instead just cherrypicks from other sources. minority report gattaca, bladerunner, etc etc etc. i think its a much better way of doing things than ploughing ahead with lacklustre original ideas.

droid

the only novels ive ever read are sci-fi novels. we talked about the vandermeer books here. me and you. together. i was snooty about the prose and the plotting. you thought the atmospherics (and possibly the concepts) made up for it. in any case the books are much better than the terrible netflix adaptation.

Sorry, I mustve blanked it out. I wasnt hugely keen on the books overall.

luka

he was trying something to give him credit but it was a bit thin. a friend of mine is writing an essay about it for his masters (jim, if youre reading this craner)