Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

I've heard that this is quite a good portrayal of DMT on film - luka?

I wouldn't say it's *that* close to tryptamine visuals - looks almost more dissociative than psychedelic (to me, anyway).

The best cinematic evocation of how tripping really feels, for my money, is the mushroom trip scene in A Field In England. (Which I mention in full knowledge that it's going to trigger an anti-Wheatley rant in luka, but hey ho.)

luka

mr tea is a policeman and has never taken drugs dont fall into his trap!

wheatly makes films that look like school drama productions.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
mr tea is a policeman and has never taken drugs dont fall into his trap!

wheatly makes films that look like school drama productions.

Lol, I was wearing my American copper's shirt for the Weatherall show last Friday, and all.

pri_50480009.jpg

I've only seen A Field... but I thought it was quite good - maybe a tad amateurish in parts but it had something to it.

droid

I saw this a while ago. Its a flawed but engaging look at cults, time, eternity & the ineffable. Worth checking out.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
should i watch ridley scotts promtheus?
if you do I'd strongly recommend blazing it first

not cos it's really mind-bending, more cos it's kind of a unearned pretentiously stupid mess that wants to be profound, and hence probably only far more enjoyable when blazed

I mean it's not good and it doesn't remotely live up to Alien/Aliens, but it's not terrible and the cast is good so there's that

rubberdingyrapids

I like the bit in the abortion machine

the alien covenant film that ridley scott did after prometheus is a 100 times better.
but it couldnt fail to be as prometheus was at least 50 times worse than alien resurrection.
it could be argued in fact that prometheus is the worst of all the alien films, but as it is an origin story and so likely to be quite boring and time wasting, maybe that mitigates it slightly.
fassbender was good though.

i hate most origin stories but would like a jurassic park origin story. obv without richard hammond, but with the main characters being the dinosaurs whose dna was used to create the dinosaurs in the original film. it would be incredible. surprised no one has done it yet actually.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm always bemused when a film has clearly had gazillions of dollars lavished on it, endless care around design and special effects and casting - and yet is also terribly written. Perhaps that's something you can't understand without having been part of the process.

luka

i just finished watching it. i enjoyed it. obviously it's stupid but somewhat less stupid than the bladerunner reboot and without the turgid pomposity. not sure why everyone was so down on it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Prometheus might have worked better if it had had no characters in it. Especially not super brainy scientists who go up to monstrous alien worm creatures and coo at them like they're puppies.

rubberdingyrapids

saw time and judgement, a 400 year exile directed by menelik shabazz (on 16mm too for any film geeks here). also saw on mubi this week the margaret tait film blue black permanent. both are poetic, kind of experimental british/uk art features (though in time and judgement is more docu collage ofc), but weird to think this sort of stuff would be on channel 4 in the 80s/90s. now all we have is bbc4, which while good at more high brow content, isnt going to really fund or commission anything all that challenging, esp not formally challenging in the way these two films were. that said, its prob a moot complaint to make these days. i should prob look at other tv elsewhere on the web.

luka

i havent seen all the alien films but ive seen the first 3 and i think prometheus was the best of the bunch. i'll see if i can pick up convenant for 50p in Cex.