labrat

hot on the heels of love
been really feeling the Hauntology excavations around here and would like to collate a "canon" (I think??? the nature of the subject suggests vagueness);

BoC
Ariel pink
ghostbox label
Radiophonic workshop
Young marble giants
Conet project-short wave numbers station thing on Irdial http://www.irdial.com/conet.htm
Aki onda- cassette memories http://www.japanimprov.com/aonda/articles/ianpenman.html

And in the visual arts George Shaw http://www.wilkinsongallery.com/pastexhibitions/05_shaw/images.html

more ?

Last edited:

Tim F

For Hauntology-Gone-Pop (in an Avalanches stylee) check New Buffalo's first EP "About Last Night" - not so much the album though.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Dolly Collins
Eno's on land & obscure series (most obviously Jesus Blood/sinking of the titanic)

mms

sometimes
i'd add the v/vm caretaker project
andrew peckler - strings and feedback
thomas koner stiuff
palace brothers earlier bits
also the first coco rosie album i reckon

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

droid said:

that's a great record. and he did another one, where it was all samples of van halen made to sound all beautiful and dreamy, didn't he? which seems to fit v nicely with the whole 'hauntology thing'...

oh, and the hauntology cannon NEEDS fennesz's stuff, esp. 'paint it black'.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
simon silverdollar said:
that's a great record. and he did another one, where it was all samples of van halen made to sound all beautiful and dreamy, didn't he? which seems to fit v nicely with the whole 'hauntology thing'...

oh, and the hauntology cannon NEEDS fennesz's stuff, esp. 'paint it black'.
yes, that EP was called "My Love Is Rotten To The Core"...good call!

Endless Summer, also by Fennesz, seems to really nail this budding genre...instant nostalgia for summers past, unrequited loves, that you may have experienced but probably just invented...

D

droid

Fennesz goes without saying alright.

Is 'Chi-Vox' another contender? Seefeel with all the sweetness sucked out of them... their last and most ambient LP.

Raw Patrick

On an informative front - it's spelt canon.

I would like to propose Cassetteboy for the previously unknown comedy wing of memoradelia.

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
Plastikman - Consumed
Luomo - Vocalcity

both of the above hear the city as reverberations, spectral whispers

Al Bowlly - already haunting and haunted, now - courtesy Kubrick and Potter - the geist/ ghost of Thirties England

Roxy - first two LPs (esp Bob Medley - which always puts me in mind of The Shining; Sea Breezes (like a BBC MR James adaptation as three minute love song); Beauty Queen (arctic-cold reverb hymn to glamour's ghost), For Your Pleasure (country house as Poe/Marienbad/Overlook hedonic haunt))

Tricky - see esp Penman's masterly Tricknology piece for why (and also for why any dub worth its salt fits the bill)

The long-forgotten Holger Hiller

SMorlighem

k-punk said:
The long-forgotten Holger Hiller

Right ! Everybody should have a copy of 'Little Present' (the record he made for his son in Tokyo, using many urban sounds) at home.

Tricky : been listening to a few Nearly God tracks ; that small loop at the end of 'Poems', taken from The Specials' Guns of Navarone is very haunting...

DJ PIMP

Still loving Matias Aguayo's "Are you really lost" for the shadowy Lynchian feel.

"New Life" has this great layering of a spoken vocal in the foreground with a higher, more shouty sounding vocal back in the mix with some reverb. Same words and timing. Eerie effect.

"So in love" is a great soundtrack for haunted romance...