Coffee is the real enemy.

sufi

lala
ok mr sceptical

often i drink a strong expresso when i get home after work, mmm, 2 or 3 sugars plaese = yum!
then i pass out for 30 or 60 minutes
what's that about?

blissblogger

cup of joe

sufi said:
ok mr sceptical

often i drink a strong expresso when i get home after work, mmm, 2 or 3 sugars plaese = yum!
then i pass out for 30 or 60 minutes
what's that about?

i've had that experience with coffee, it's similar to any crash after a stimulant-rush, your brain neurochemistry goes up and then has a big dip

i read somewhere there's some countries, in latin america i think, where they drink really strong coffee before bedtime and have a really good night's kip, it crashes them out

but apparently espresso has less caffeine in it than a regular cup of coffee cos the hot water's blasted through it real quick, but the way people drink espresso's -- like doing a shot of tequlia -- gives them a quick hit, so it's a more instant rush

yeah i totally agree with matt, caffeine's nasty stuff -- i'm addicted, and after years of not drinking it, the wife's become an addict this year too.

that jagged nerves feeling when you've had one cup too many by the mid-afternoon is horrible

in america a whole load of energy drinks have come on the market recently (resulting in Red Bull's price dropping quite a bit, until recently it was a sort of prestige import type product) -- they're packed with caffeine, taurine and simlar substances, various herbal stims and tons of sugar -- i'm sure loads of people are turning to them as neurochem props to get through their grinding dismal jobs, energy + morale boost in one

meanwhile out in the US sticks, crank is the working rural poor's buzz

C

captain easychord

blissblogger said:
meanwhile out in the US sticks, crank is the working rural poor's buzz

blue collar southern ontario is full of factories in which workers will subsist entirely on caffeine, dexadrine, adderall, crank working for two or three days on end. at which point they pass out for a few and repeat.

blissblogger

there's a really good book called The Speed Culture: Amphetamine Use and Abuse in America by Lester Grinspoon and Peter Hedblom, written in the early 70s when speed was semi-legal still and widely prescribed, basically describing speed as the counter-revolutionary drug

grinspoon also wrote a pro marijuana book for the opposite reasons -- c.f. the weed thread here -- in the world we live in there's good arguments for slowing things, promoting reverie and micro-perception. Even sleeping more.

i think you could use Grinspoon and Hedblom's argument apply re. all central nervous system stimulants -- speed, cocaine, caffeine -- they crank us up to make us work harder, adjust to the accelerated metabolism of Kapital

in fact doesn't Terence mcKenna make that argument, classifying all of them as Dominator drugs? ego-boosters

mind you -- thinking of "Dominator" the track -- a huge swathe of my favorite music wouldn't exist without amphetamine, or cocaine, or...

coffee and music:
supposedly the SST label used to drink jugs of coffee to maintain their selfimposed work rate (until black flag got heavily into pot)

any other examples of caffeine/music synergy?

Tobias

blissblogger said:

Not exactly from the producers but from the consumers point of view: I always felt as if Kruder & Dorfmeister were the ultimate example for Kaffeehaus-Dub. The music hipsters with nothing to do, hanging out in a Kaffeehaus listen to, in order to calm down the upped senses.

C

captain easychord

coke + grime?

blissblogger said:
mind you -- thinking of "Dominator" the track -- a huge swathe of my favorite music wouldn't exist without amphetamine, or cocaine, or...

it's true. i can see coke being a part of grime. the rushed flows, the self-mythologizing, the stance that most MC's adopt of inevitable commercial success (even though the odds are against them at this point...) in a recent interview on 1xtra crazy t boasted that the alliance would succeed because "WE'VE GOT THE TALENT, WE'VE GOT THE TUNES AND WE'VE GOT THE COCAINE!"

captain easychord said:
it's true. i can see coke being a part of grime. the rushed flows, the self-mythologizing, the stance that most MC's adopt of inevitable commercial success (even though the odds are against them at this point...) in a recent interview on 1xtra crazy t boasted that the alliance would succeed because "WE'VE GOT THE TALENT, WE'VE GOT THE TUNES AND WE'VE GOT THE COCAINE!"

Well then, if that's the case, they deserve to fail. The music doesn't stand up too well anymore, same old same cold, so fuck 'em. And if I hear one more MC spitting the same shit as everyone else about his tedious pot noodle and playstation microcosm... well I won't, because I've stopped caring about any of it, the vicarious guilt-thrill of nodding along to the ghetto mentality.

Who cashed out and made these MCs kings? And more to the point, why should we give a fuck now the music is so badly overdrawn at the Bank of Hardkore?

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
blissblogger said:
coffee and music:
supposedly the SST label used to drink jugs of coffee to maintain their selfimposed work rate

"97% caffeine free coffee is 97% not my kind of thing" h. rollins

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
there's a really good book called The Speed Culture: Amphetamine Use and Abuse in America by Lester Grinspoon and Peter Hedblom, written in the early 70s when speed was semi-legal still and widely prescribed, basically describing speed as the counter-revolutionary drug

grinspoon also wrote a pro marijuana book for the opposite reasons -- c.f. the weed thread here -- in the world we live in there's good arguments for slowing things, promoting reverie and micro-perception. Even sleeping more.

i think you could use Grinspoon and Hedblom's argument apply re. all central nervous system stimulants -- speed, cocaine, caffeine -- they crank us up to make us work harder, adjust to the accelerated metabolism of Kapital

people who chat this bollocks haven't smoked enough skunk and are in the virgin weed phase. when you get to proper chad level the speedy jitters of weed are 10 times stronger than coffee. You almost have to become autistic and get on with shit otherwise you'll end up in thought loops.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

coffee and music:
supposedly the SST label used to drink jugs of coffee to maintain their selfimposed work rate (until black flag got heavily into pot)

pure phunktional proletarian brutalizm.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Public Enemy - Bring the Noise

too black, too strong.

DJ Trace - Coffee (bonus beat mix)

Huge machine funk Scottish coffee techno, played by Jeff Mills, DJ Bone, Claude Young in the 90s. Shame he started to fellate Gavin mcins but what can you do.

Funk D'Void - Bad Coffee

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
early Danish hardcore acid/embrionic gabba, title is a bit vague but seen as the ep it comes from is titled Secrets of Nutrition I'm including it here.

Cellblock X - Stimuli

HARD STUFF RECORDS!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
people who chat this bollocks haven't smoked enough skunk and are in the virgin weed phase. when you get to proper chad level the speedy jitters of weed are 10 times stronger than coffee. You almost have to become autistic and get on with shit otherwise you'll end up in thought loops.

Case and Point

Hackney Hardcore - Caught with A Spliff (drug squad officers remix)

Bribe - Goldseal

Goldseal Tribe - You will die

off The Michelob EP. Hash+lager.

Bizzy B - Take a Deep Breath

Absolutely rinsin 93 avant darkside

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Humanity’s acquaintance with caffeine is surprisingly recent. But it is hardly an exaggeration to say that this molecule remade the world. The changes wrought by coffee and tea occurred at a fundamental level – the level of the human mind. Coffee and tea ushered in a shift in the mental weather, sharpening minds that had been fogged by alcohol, freeing people from the natural rhythms of the body and the sun, thus making possible whole new kinds of work and, arguably, new kinds of thought, too.

By the 15th century, coffee was being cultivated in east Africa and traded across the Arabian peninsula. Initially, the new drink was regarded as an aide to concentration and used by Sufis in Yemen to keep them from dozing off during their religious observances. (Tea, too, started out as a little helper for Buddhist monks striving to stay awake through long stretches of meditation.) Within a century, coffeehouses had sprung up in cities across the Arab world. In 1570 there were more than 600 of them in Constantinople alone, and they spread north and west with the Ottoman empire.

The Islamic world at this time was in many respects more advanced than Europe, in science and technology, and in learning. Whether this mental flourishing had anything to do with the prevalence of coffee (and prohibition of alcohol) is difficult to prove, but as the German historian Wolfgang Schivelbusch has argued, the beverage “seemed to be tailor-made for a culture that forbade alcohol consumption and gave birth to modern mathematics”.
A coffee house in 17th-century London.

A coffee house in 17th-century London. Photograph: Lordprice Collection/Alamy

In 1629 the first coffeehouses in Europe, styled on Arab and Turkish models, popped up in Venice, and the first such establishment in England was opened in Oxford in 1650 by a Jewish immigrant. They arrived in London shortly thereafter, and proliferated: within a few decades there were thousands of coffeehouses in London; at their peak, one for every 200 Londoners.

To call the English coffeehouse a new kind of public space doesn’t quite do it justice. You paid a penny for the coffee, but the information – in the form of newspapers, books, magazines and conversation – was free. (Coffeehouses were often referred to as “penny universities”.) After visiting London coffeehouses, a French writer named Maximilien Misson wrote, “You have all Manner of News there; You have a good fire, which you may sit by as long as you please: You have a Dish of Coffee; you meet your Friends for the Transaction of Business, and all for a Penny, if you don’t care to spend more.”

London’s coffeehouses were distinguished one from another by the professional or intellectual interests of their patrons, which eventually gave them specific institutional identities. So, for example, merchants and men with interests in shipping gathered at Lloyd’s Coffee House. Here you could learn what ships were arriving and departing, and buy an insurance policy on your cargo. Lloyd’s Coffee House eventually became the insurance brokerage Lloyd’s of London. Learned types and scientists – known then as “natural philosophers” – gathered at the Grecian, which became closely associated with the Royal Society; Isaac Newton and Edmond Halley debated physics and mathematics here, and supposedly once dissected a dolphin on the premises.

The conversation in London’s coffee houses frequently turned to politics, in vigorous exercises of free speech that drew the ire of the government, especially after the monarchy was restored in 1660. Charles II, worried that plots were being hatched in coffeehouses, decided that the places were dangerous fomenters of rebellion that the crown needed to suppress. In 1675 the king moved to close down the coffeehouses, on the grounds that the “false, malicious and scandalous Reports” emanating therefrom were a “Disturbance of the Quiet and Peace of the Realm”. Like so many other compounds that change the qualities of consciousness in individuals, caffeine was regarded as a threat to institutional power, which moved to suppress it, in a foreshadowing of the wars against drugs to come.

But the king’s war against coffee lasted only 11 days. Charles discovered that it was too late to turn back the tide of caffeine. By then the coffeehouse was such a fixture of English culture and daily life – and so many eminent Londoners had become addicted to caffeine – that everyone simply ignored the king’s order and blithely went on drinking coffee. Afraid to test his authority and find it lacking, the king quietly backed down, issuing a second proclamation rolling back the first “out of princely consideration and royal compassion”.

It’s hard to imagine that the sort of political, cultural and intellectual ferment that bubbled up in the coffeehouses of both France and England in the 17th century would ever have developed in a tavern. The kind of magical thinking that alcohol sponsored in the medieval mind began to yield to a new spirit of rationalism and, a bit later, Enlightenment thinking. French historian Jules Michelet wrote: “Coffee, the sober drink, the mighty nourishment of the brain, which unlike other spirits, heightens purity and lucidity; coffee, which clears the clouds of the imagination and their gloomy weight; which illumines the reality of things suddenly with the flash of truth.”

To see, lucidly, “the reality of things”: this was, in a nutshell, the rationalist project. Coffee became, along with the microscope, telescope and the pen, one of its indispensable tools.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah it's often said that - in a country where you couldn't drink the water - the advent of coffee meant that people went from drinking ale all day to a stimulant, changed from being permanently half-cut to totally wired, a double effect.