i-Pod #**$%%

Brian Spence

help help help!

here my problem ! my 2 kids have ipods set up on pc Windows xp been working fine for while so smiles all round.. Bought ipod for wifes birthday, loaded software problem is that itunes is no longer showing the ipod in the soarce list on anybodys account :( have downloaded latest itunes updates but no luck have reset ipods and tried other usb ports. Can see ipod on my computer but itunes just not recognising

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thought about using the XP delete to get rid of itunes I know can save library but how do you import back to itunes

brianspence@talktalk.net

Thanks

Last edited:

sufi

lala
yeah in windoze you can enable checking 'hidden' folders, then add columns to filter the tunes by artist name, album, genre whatever...
iToons unhelpfully changes the name of yer mp3 files, but you can change them back using some free software that will copy the tags onto the filenames...
does that help at all, jenks?

Brian welcome to dissensus, i got my iPod & my girl's working off one installation of iTines, so it should be possible, otherwise try another PC or doing a complete reinstall... blame that shabby software see also: :mad: i-Tunes #**$%% thread

definitely syncing iPod & iTunesis to be avoided ... my bro managed to somehow get videos to play on his video pod... i had no joy wid that so far.... anyone have any idea about that???

jenks

thread death
cheers for that sufi - i'll have to check out the software

my battery is pretty much blown now - 25 minutes and it's out. Does anyone know if the music gets wiped when they put a new battery in? This is a particular concern as the pod is now the only place i have certain things - my external hard drive, where i store all my music, has taken to making whirring and clicking noises and freezing!!!

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
I seem to be experiencing the 1 year lifespan of the battery, as it´s lasting shorter and shorter. Anybody had this, and what can be done about it (with what costs)?
Thanks

johanek

Jezmi said:
I seem to be experiencing the 1 year lifespan of the battery, as it´s lasting shorter and shorter. Anybody had this, and what can be done about it (with what costs)?
Thanks

Replacement ipod batteries for £20 http://www.ipoddoctor.co.uk/ ... kinda fiddly to take apart but worth it... mine is two years old and the battery only lasts an hour now.

Oh and I've not done it but... the battery is just the battery, you're not going to lose anything from the hard drive!

sufi

lala
iPod hack??

i was asking on tha other thread about itoons alternatives which apparently there are a few, tho i couldn't find any free ones & that iwinamp plugin was not ok for me for some reason...

so, when will someon hack the OS of tha Pod?? in these days of increasing win/mac intercompatibility it would be a lush piece of hardware with linux or summat,
please somebody tell me it's possible

(haha i remember i used to post up this question on forums back when i had a sony peesashit minidisc with it's lousy proprietary software)

jenks

thread death
ipod the story continues

johanek said:
Oh and I've not done it but... the battery is just the battery, you're not going to lose anything from the hard drive!

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

decided to pay Apple to replace the battery. Very good service involving UPS coming to the door with dedicated packaging.

A week later another UPs man came back with a box - excellent!

Inside, not my old ipod with new battery and 7000 tunes but a brand new ipod with ... no tunes. I should, of course, be pleased but i'm not cos now i've lost all manner of tunes that were only on the pod

There's a moral in there somewhere - back up on disk

now i've got to find someone who will find a way of getting all my tunes off an frozen external hard drive. :mad:

Lichen

I recently 'lost' thousands of tunes and all family pics. from hard drive on laptop.

Paid unspeakable amount of cash to have data retrieved by men with magnets in Reading.

Re: ipod: I'm onto my 3rd. It is a hand-me-down first generation for 4gigger. Yet to break it.

Lichen said:
I recently 'lost' thousands of tunes and all family pics. from hard drive on laptop.

Paid unspeakable amount of cash to have data retrieved by men with magnets in Reading.

Re: ipod: I'm onto my 3rd. It is a hand-me-down first generation for 4gigger. Yet to break it.

Roughly how much for the data retireval? Same predicament myself.

jenks

thread death
HMGovt said:
Roughly how much for the data retireval? Same predicament myself.

I've had two quotes of about £500 which is more than i can afford. I'm going to see 'a man who knows about these things' this week who claims he can do it for much less. We'll see.

soundslike1981

Goodness does this thread ever confirm every reason I've always disliked the iPod/iTunes. Pushy, buggy, mistrustful, invasive, cryptic, simplistic. . .

I got a 100GB player that cost me $300 two years ago, shows up as a hard drive, has a digital line-in record, no DRM/copy protection, lasts 22hrs per recharge, has an FM radio, and has a better amp than any iPod-type player.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
soundslike1981 said:
Goodness does this thread ever confirm every reason I've always disliked the iPod/iTunes. Pushy, buggy, mistrustful, invasive, cryptic, simplistic. . .

I got a 100GB player that cost me $300 two years ago, shows up as a hard drive, has a digital line-in record, no DRM/copy protection, lasts 22hrs per recharge, has an FM radio, and has a better amp than any iPod-type player.

What is it? Model, make etc..?

soundslike1981

Buick6 said:
What is it? Model, make etc..?

X-Clef 500 something or other. Real ugly thing, which I personally like as it's meant to function not be a bit of jewelry. Bought it through www.digmind.com, but it seems to be down. I'm not sure they're still making them, but if you want something that over which you have total control (ie you organise the tracks in a tree like any normal hard-drive) that doesn't rely on tags and intermediating software--it might be worth searching it down. Run a search for "100GB mp3 player" and you'll probably find it. I've had two of them for over two years and been well more than satisfied.

You used to be able to buy just the player, and put any 2.8" HDD in it, so for my girlfriend I put together a 40GB. The shell ran $150 I think, so it could be quite inexpensive to get to say 80GB.

Lichen

Roughly how much for the data retireval? Same predicament myself

Around £800.00

Very painful, but not as painful as losing all record of our daughter growing up.

alo

X-Clef 500 something or other. Real ugly thing, which I personally like as it's meant to function not be a bit of jewelry.

I've got one of these, 40gb-- unfortunately, i dropped it with the import cable in and now i can't really use it to transfer data!!!! no one seems to be able to fix it either....really frustrating..

Still, great for recording while on the move, and its also quite industrial looking so you don't look (too) much of a twat. Got some great sounds aswell: the insides of industrial bins, a sea shanty festival, fans, gas cylinders, the inside of caves...

alo

Forgot to mention, I'm thinking of buying an iaudio if i can't sort it. Anyone know anything about that? I know you record on it.

soundslike1981

alo said:
I've got one of these, 40gb-- unfortunately, i dropped it with the import cable in and now i can't really use it to transfer data!!!! no one seems to be able to fix it either....really frustrating..

Still, great for recording while on the move, and its also quite industrial looking so you don't look (too) much of a twat. Got some great sounds aswell: the insides of industrial bins, a sea shanty festival, fans, gas cylinders, the inside of caves...

I've always been a bit paranoid about that--seems like if you screw up the USB port, it's junk (unless you can fish out the drive into some other player that takes 2.5" HDDs, and maybe even then you're screwed.) I like mine so much I almost bought a "spare" empty player, just in case. There doesn't seem to be any replacement on the scene for a protection-free, quality line-in record, massive quantity, good battery life, non-fashion-accessory player. And I don't understand what use an mp3 player would be without all those things. I literally wouldn't take an iPod for free (unless I could sell it on eBay directly).

Rambler

Awanturnik
Just about to join the mp3 player herd ... I think I'm going with an iAudio, for these reasons:

I don't want an iPod
But I do own a Mac (which rules out a surprising number of options, :mad: )
35 hour battery life
read lots of good things about it, including build quality which is not something iPods are renowned for
good sound quality
supports ogg and flac
FM radio
radio and line-in recorder
DRM free

Apparently the interface is a bit clunky (but they're working on a software update for this), video transfer is not the best, and you need an extra little adapter to plug it into things, but I can live with all of this.