luka

i turned out the way i did because i was able to take all this completely seriously, like it was a school curriculum. i was reading this, and rilke and blake, 22 years ago. fucked me up for life.

luka

one more then...

bridges

Gray crystal skies. A strange pattern of bridges, some straight, some arched, others going down at oblique angles to the first, and these shapes repeating themselves in other lighted circuits of the canal, but all of them so long and light that the banks, heavy with domes, are lowered and shrunken. Some of these bridges are still covered with hovels. Others support masts, signals, thin parapets. Minor chords cross one another and diminish, ropes comes up from the shores. You can see a red jacket and perhaps other costumes and musical instruments. Are they popular tunes, bits of castle concerts, remnants of public hymns? The water is grey and blue, as wide as an arm of the sea.
- A white ray, falling from the top of the sky, blots out this comedy.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
you've done a good job

i associated rimbaud with jack kerouac and bob dylan and generally with being a student in a long overcoat smoking rollies and dreaming of living in 1920s paris with syphilys

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
flicking through this last night https://www.faber.co.uk/9780571243358-new-bearings-in-english-poetry.html

it struck me that many of his opinions re: eliot, pound, hopkins (vs. the victorians/edwardians) i've seen coming out of the fingers of craner/luka - is this just a sort of coincidence, or was leavis an influence on both/either of you?

i can certainly see how he held such a formidable sway over students, he gives the constant impression of having read both more than and more deeply than you ever could hope to in your life, you rotten little worm

OTOH the seriousness with which he approaches poetry makes you think that after all it must be hugely important

i feel like I should have read this book (and eliot/empson, etc.) when I was a student and my brain was still in receive mode

Last edited:

luka

no. me and craner are devotees of hugh kenner. he got me into it. we've both read some leavis. but a long time ago and im not sure it made much impression on either of us.

luka

probably more one of those people that had such a big influence youre influenced by him without realising it. in that hes shaped the culture and discourse you inherit.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
[Kenner's] most influential tutor was Marshall McLuhan, later to become a 1960s guru of media theory, but at that time a follower of the English literary critic F.R. Leavis and of American New Criticism.

You're a Leavisite and you don't know it.

luka

i remember when i was about 16 waking up round my mates house in the spare bedroom of his parents house much too early after a big skunk and grolsch binge and read leavis just cos it was lying around. read pretty much the whole thing before everyone else got up and i could finally eat some breakfast.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i remember when i was about 16 waking up round my mates house in the spare bedroom of his parents house much too early after a big skunk and grolsch binge and read leavis just cos it was lying around. read pretty much the whole thing before everyone else got up and i could finally eat some breakfast.

sounds magical to me!

obviously it all lodged in your brain and bred your hatred of housman, the pleasant old chapoet

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i remember at a party i was at as a 17 year old, everyone else had gone asleep and i was the only one left up, unable to sleep as it has been since and presumably will be til the day i die, and at the time i was possessed with romantic notions of the world and myself (encouraged by kerouac, joyce, henry miller and so on) and i felt that i would always be observing everybody else behaving normally from the sidelines but that this was 'right' and good and i felt bloody great about it tbh

i wish i still felt like that :'(

luka

i had these friends with wealthy liberal parents who let them smoke skunk in the house aged 15, 16 etc huge kitchens. lots of books.
i always used to wake up about 8 or 9 after crashing out there and then feel trapped cos my mates would wake up about 2 or 3. took me at least a year or two to realise i could just walk out the door and get breakfast in a cafe and not waste the day.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i'm 33 and twice in recent memory i've been forced to hide in my bedroom because i'm scared of going downstairs and having to interact with people

(some of these people are technically my friends)

i think the only thing in my favour for becoming a poet/artist is that i'm a perpetual adolescent

it's not so much i refuse the terms of adult life as that i don't know how to get on those terms

luka

yeah well you better start doing something arty then corpsey. cant write 300 word rap reviews of datpiff only mixtapes your whole life

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i've given up on that tbh i was really going through the motions

giving meek mill mixtapes 8 out of 10 and then never listening to them again

i really want to do something creative but i honestly don't have the belief in its importance or rather in its importance as practiced by me

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
what i'd love is if one day i was hit in the head by a blunt object and it left me with all my faculties, but additionally infused with an insane passion for writing a blank verse biography of oj simpson, or a lunatic zeal for painting desk-lamps, or something