CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
what else is there to do?

one problem these days is there's so much else you can do from the comfort of your own wankpit

endless films, endless tv shows, endless books

too much consumption to let creation flourish

luka

i dont think making bad art is any less enjoyable than making good art really. no ones looking over your shoulder and even if it's good and you want other people to see it, no one will anyway. good or bad you'll be just hurling it all into a big black hole of indifference so theres nothing to feel self-conscious about really.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
once i've read milton the complete works of shakespeare and a few other bits i'll be all full of everything i need to write the great novel everyone will read when the wifi cuts out

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
yes it's a terrible habit (for a terrible person)

i believe i began cringing and undermining myself as a strategy for avoiding the violent attentions of the bullyboys

or perhaps it was just the way i was which is why i was a target for the bullytots in the first place?

but the cringing and undermining of self has become a cancerous blight upon my life

after all, the self-confident people are often absolute bastards who need to be stamped into the pavement with extreme prejudice

i bet there were quite a few self-effacing people in trump's life who never threw trump off a cliff and made it look like an accident afterwards, eg

luka

dont worry corpsey i consider it my duty to motivational speech you and tough love you into an assertive and self-confident ubermensch. admittedly progress has been slow so far but perhaps if i redouble my efforts...

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
I started PL on the tube this morning, reading along with the audiobook. My vague plan is to do it by audiobook in the day and then revisit in the evening myself so I can absorb the words a bit more.

Let's see how it goes

woops

is not like other people
what i'd love is if one day i was hit in the head by a blunt object and it left me with all my faculties, but additionally infused with an insane passion for writing a blank verse biography of oj simpson, or a lunatic zeal for painting desk-lamps, or something

i've found this can be self-administered relatively easily and painlessly

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Almost through Book 2. Book 2 is where things really get going, thank the Lord, after the interminable enumeration of Satan's sidekicks. 'And here came X, denizen of Y, who tempted Z in Q with ADJECTIVE Y SIN X and in P did wreak inglorious...' etc.

The arguments of Mammon, Belial, et al, particularly amusing for casting light on my extreme susceptibility to being persuaded by whatever the most recent argument is

I don't think Satan would have to work hard to tempt ME

Anyway, I've found this annotated edition of Paradise Lost online, could be useful https://www.dartmouth.edu/~milton/reading_room/pl/book_1/text.shtml

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
'Thou from the first
Wast present, and with mighty wings outspread [ 20 ]
Dove-like satst brooding on the vast Abyss
And mad'st it pregnant...'

'brooding on the vast Abyss. Milton's "brooding" is a better translation of the Hebrew than the familiar "moved upon the face of the waters" of the Authorized version of Genesis 1:2.'

i've read this line enough to have it memorised, and yet I've never understood it, because I thought 'brooding' meant thinking ruefully and wisely, rather than:

(of a bird) sit on (eggs) to hatch them.
"the male pheasant-tailed jacana takes over once the eggs are laid and broods them"

Thanks, dartmouth.edu!

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Never knew this either!

Originally Lucifer, "bringer of light," his name in heaven is changed to Satan, "enemy" or "adversary."

Wondering if there's a biblical precedent for nicking all the old Gods (e.g. the Titans) for Christianity and claiming them as false idols. If not, it's a great bit of cheek from Milton, able to include all that heathen classicism, condemning it while singing about it!

If so, then shut my big fat mouth

*edit: strikes me that Dante does this in 'Inferno', where he has Socrates et al living in some sort of castle just outside of hell - not to mention Virgil!

Last edited:

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Luke /ˈluːk/ is a male given name, and less commonly, a surname.

The name Luke is the English form of the Latin name Lucas. It is derived from the Latin name Lucius, and it either means "the great Lucius", or it is a shortened form of the Latin name. Lucius means "the bright one" or "the one born at dawn".[1][2]

Is Barty a synonym for Satan?

luka

Luke /ˈluːk/ is a male given name, and less commonly, a surname.

The name Luke is the English form of the Latin name Lucas. It is derived from the Latin name Lucius, and it either means "the great Lucius", or it is a shortened form of the Latin name. Lucius means "the bright one" or "the one born at dawn".[1][2]

Is Barty a synonym for Satan?

Luke as Lucifer synonym. that's great. made my day!

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
To be no more; sad cure; for who would loose,
Though full of pain, this intellectual being,
Those thoughts that wander through Eternity,
To perish rather, swallowd up and lost
In the wide womb of uncreated night, [ 150 ]
Devoid of sense and motion?

Me, standing on my chair, chanting 'A-go Belial! A-go Belial! It's ya birthday!'

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was wrong - it REALLY gets going when Satan flies off and has to get past sin and death and then Chaos the elderly king of the shrinking abyss

Starting already to get an inkling of Milton's brilliance - the intensely visual (often surreal and even laughable) and schematic/symbolic nature of his imagined hell/heaven and earth (hanging like a "golden pendant")

Sidenote: "house of pain" is a phrase occurring here which can only mean that Everlast is of Milton's party and doesn't know it? BETTER TO JUMP UP IN HELL THAN EAT A PIG IN HEAVEN

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
One of the best lines so far

Rocks, Caves, Lakes, Fens, Bogs, Dens, and shades of death

*Gunshots* *airhorns*

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You can sort of see the germs of Lovecraft etc al in Milton's arduously emphatic style

"Where all life dies, death lives, and nature breeds,
Perverse, all monstrous, all prodigious things,
Abominable, unutterable, and worse
Than Fables yet have feign'd, or fear conceiv'd,
Gorgons and Hydras, and Chimeras dire."