Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Poetry

yeah well you better start doing something arty then corpsey. cant write 300 word rap reviews of datpiff only mixtapes your whole life

i've given up on that tbh i was really going through the motions

giving meek mill mixtapes 8 out of 10 and then never listening to them again

i really want to do something creative but i honestly don't have the belief in its importance or rather in its importance as practiced by me

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CORP$EY For This Useful Post:

you need a stern talking to corpsey.

what else is there to do?

what i'd love is if one day i was hit in the head by a blunt object and it left me with all my faculties, but additionally infused with an insane passion for writing a blank verse biography of oj simpson, or a lunatic zeal for painting desk-lamps, or something

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CORP$EY For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    what else is there to do?
    one problem these days is there's so much else you can do from the comfort of your own wankpit

endless films, endless tv shows, endless books

too much consumption to let creation flourish

i dont think making bad art is any less enjoyable than making good art really. no ones looking over your shoulder and even if it's good and you want other people to see it, no one will anyway. good or bad you'll be just hurling it all into a big black hole of indifference so theres nothing to feel self-conscious about really.

once i've read milton the complete works of shakespeare and a few other bits i'll be all full of everything i need to write the great novel everyone will read when the wifi cuts out

yeah well dont self-efface yourself out of existence in the meantime

yes it's a terrible habit (for a terrible person)

i believe i began cringing and undermining myself as a strategy for avoiding the violent attentions of the bullyboys

or perhaps it was just the way i was which is why i was a target for the bullytots in the first place?

but the cringing and undermining of self has become a cancerous blight upon my life

after all, the self-confident people are often absolute bastards who need to be stamped into the pavement with extreme prejudice

i bet there were quite a few self-effacing people in trump's life who never threw trump off a cliff and made it look like an accident afterwards, eg

dont worry corpsey i consider it my duty to motivational speech you and tough love you into an assertive and self-confident ubermensch. admittedly progress has been slow so far but perhaps if i redouble my efforts...

I started PL on the tube this morning, reading along with the audiobook. My vague plan is to do it by audiobook in the day and then revisit in the evening myself so I can absorb the words a bit more.

Let's see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by CORP$EY View Post
    what i'd love is if one day i was hit in the head by a blunt object and it left me with all my faculties, but additionally infused with an insane passion for writing a blank verse biography of oj simpson, or a lunatic zeal for painting desk-lamps, or something
    i've found this can be self-administered relatively easily and painlessly

16. The Following User Says Thank You to woops For This Useful Post:

Almost through Book 2. Book 2 is where things really get going, thank the Lord, after the interminable enumeration of Satan's sidekicks. 'And here came X, denizen of Y, who tempted Z in Q with ADJECTIVE Y SIN X and in P did wreak inglorious...' etc.

The arguments of Mammon, Belial, et al, particularly amusing for casting light on my extreme susceptibility to being persuaded by whatever the most recent argument is

I don't think Satan would have to work hard to tempt ME

Anyway, I've found this annotated edition of Paradise Lost online, could be useful https://www.dartmouth.edu/~milton/re...k_1/text.shtml

'Thou from the first
    Wast present, and with mighty wings outspread [ 20 ]
    Dove-like satst brooding on the vast Abyss
    And mad'st it pregnant...'

'brooding on the vast Abyss. Milton's "brooding" is a better translation of the Hebrew than the familiar "moved upon the face of the waters" of the Authorized version of Genesis 1:2.'

i've read this line enough to have it memorised, and yet I've never understood it, because I thought 'brooding' meant thinking ruefully and wisely, rather than:

[B](of a bird) sit on (eggs) to hatch them.
    "the male pheasant-tailed jacana takes over once the eggs are laid and broods them"

Thanks, dartmouth.edu!